The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

For those who like Aircraft pictures

DDolfelin

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, t-b-g said:

A couple of my late Dad's photos, taken when he was posted for a couple of years to Bahrein. Not the best quality but I hope the subject matter makes up for that!

Round about 1965. The little kid under the wing of the Lancaster grew up and became a railway modeller and a member of RMWeb but remembers that day well.

20190324230814_07.jpg.87ca1085e3478c60bbbe3abfe05c31f5.jpg

As regards to the Lancaster she is very well looked after and they hope to be back in the air to make NX611 the third airworthy Lancaster

https://www.lincsaviation.co.uk/history/history-of-the-lancaster.htm

• Like 14

1 hour ago, Stevie said:

As regards to the Lancaster she is very well looked after and they hope to be back in the air to make NX611 the third airworthy Lancaster

Yes - I just googled 'lancaster G-ASXX' & was quite surprised (& delighted!) with what I found out!! :good:

• RMweb Premium

Dad was involved in bringing her back from Australia for preservation and had a spell being in charge of her when she was gate guardian at Scampton, so I go back a !ong way with that particular aircraft.

The photo was taken a service and refuelling stop over on the way back to the UK.

Edited by t-b-g
  • Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 2

Hope no one minds, but I’d like to commend my cousin to all those who “ like aircraft pictures”. He’s technically still am “amateur”, though given the quality of his work we’re wondering how long he can maintain his day job. Yes, I’m very biased, but will leave you all to judge for yourselves:

http://www.mattholness.com/home.html

066F6FF2-67EB-4789-9A3A-3A1345DE5136.jpeg

Edited by Kiwi
Typo
  • Like 12
  • Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

7 hours ago, Stevie said:

Well worth a visit to East Kirkby Lincolnshire Aviation Heritage Centre. Quite impressive watching and hearing all four engines start up and the taxying runs.

Edited by Ohmisterporter
  • Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 25/03/2019 at 14:53, Ohmisterporter said:

Well worth a visit to East Kirkby Lincolnshire Aviation Heritage Centre. Quite impressive watching and hearing all four engines start up and the taxying runs.

Quite impressive smell as well, if it's a warm day and the wind is in the right direction - the chicken farm next door can get very ripe! I've been a couple of times. First time wasn't too bad, the second time was when the two Lancasters flew over. The smell hit you as soon as you opened the car door! 

On 30/03/2019 at 13:02, steve1 said:

Sadly no pic but I did see a Bell Boeing V-22 Osprey quite low over Howden in the week. It was on a southerly heading. Interesting looking contraption.

steve

Contraption is a good word.  I spent time on and off working on the engine controls from the late eighties.  It had a troubling gestation period with several  crashes but now seems to have settled down to be a good workhorse, main operators being the US Marines.  Just like a tandem helicopter both rotors/props are connected so that one engine can drive both in event of engine failure.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 08/04/2019 at 07:55, Jeff Smith said:

Contraption is a good word.  I spent time on and off working on the engine controls from the late eighties.  It had a troubling gestation period with several  crashes but now seems to have settled down to be a good workhorse, main operators being the US Marines.  Just like a tandem helicopter both rotors/props are connected so that one engine can drive both in event of engine failure.

Two more have just flown over my house heading EES.

steve

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I get to see CV-22's every day through my office window and had the chance to walk around in one - very impressive aircraft! They regularly fly over where I live aswell, along with F-15's, F-35's, KC-135's and C130's.

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, BMacdermott said:

Hello again

Another screen grab, but I failed to make a note of this one! It was around 1500 and wind had changed direction...hence landing 09L. Taken from the balcony of the Thistle Hotel.

Brian

IMG_3411.jpg.be06c5f88c96d23bb992b1eb1b846797.jpg

Hi,

BAW274 from Las Vegas G-CIVT, landed 1530.

Rob

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Hello everyone

A funny thing happened near Heathrow yesterday...

I was taking my (PPL) son back to Heathrow for a flight out and we stopped the car for a mo just outside the T5 Hilton Hotel. This is right under the approach for 09L which was in use at the time, so we got out to do some 'spotting' for a while.

There was a bit of a gap between the last arrival and the one we could see approaching -  maybe three minutes separation possibly.

Suddenly, we heard what can only be described as some form of RAF-type jet fighter pass right over us at low altitude and high speed - yet we could see nothing and there was no mention of anything unusual on ATC. We both looked at each other dumbfounded!

Can anyone suggest an explanation?

Brian

12 minutes ago, rob D2 said:

Echo of someone’s full chat reverse thrust ?

My thoughts exactly.  I have been in the vicinity of airports and military bases and have many times expected a low overfly but have just been some distance behind a full thrust reverser landing or military power take off.....  The sound may have been the one that had just landed.....

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

The above two posts are I think likely to be the answer. I used to do noise monitoring and investigation/reporting of aircraft noise pollution. Acoustics vary significantly with wind/pressure/humidity as just three factors. The noise can be reflected or bounced from structures too, and the effect be heard at one location, and not at another. I recall investigating an engine run complaint from some houses 2km from the airfield, and none from those on the fenceline. The engine noise was 'bouncing' due to atmospherics, missing the locals, and landing 2km away.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, PMP said:

The above two posts are I think likely to be the answer. I used to do noise monitoring and investigation/reporting of aircraft noise pollution. Acoustics vary significantly with wind/pressure/humidity as just three factors. The noise can be reflected or bounced from structures too, and the effect be heard at one location, and not at another. I recall investigating an engine run complaint from some houses 2km from the airfield, and none from those on the fenceline. The engine noise was 'bouncing' due to atmospherics, missing the locals, and landing 2km away.

I regularly used to hear engine test runs at RAF Coltishall

I live over 10 Miles away