The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

For those who like Aircraft pictures

DDolfelin

1 hour ago, Stu from EGDL said:

Hi Gang,

A pic or two from Kemble/Cotswold Airport last weekend...

Later,

Stu from EGDL

5C4E6600-81F1-43B7-8A53-6C7FBD6A6F38.jpeg

A32A44AC-A044-4A5C-9728-40230FB0F7EB.jpeg

294A5871-4006-4643-8343-983BBCD89530.jpeg

CF01FF5A-3436-4224-8648-DC80154B38E8.jpeg

My mate flew those for big airways ... with retirement speeded up due covid , he’s been told he’ll be aircraftless for two years !

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PaulRhB said:

Just caught this on BBC4 and well worth an hour and a half of your time with stunning photography framing the Spitfire story.

www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m0008rmy

It was a well-researched piece of work.

We have two Spitfires that fly over here several times a day, flying from Headcorn to the monument at Capel-le-Ferne. One of them is one of the two-seater ones. Yesterday, we were spoilt, having three flying over together.

• Like 2

Back in the summer of 1979, and then 1980, we spent a while camping near Lac du Salagou in Herault. The artificial lake was intended to irrigate the coastal region of Herault, but very soon proved to be a useful 'pit-stop' for the Canadairs. Quite often, you'd have a queue of them waiting to replenish their tanks, sometimes, you'd have a pair side-by-side. There was a lot of very skilled flying, as the trim of the 'planes altered dramatically as they took on, then dumped, their water.

I remember there was a novice wind-surfer who had a knack of making it out a few hundred metres before the siren announcing the imminent arrival of the next plane. The 'safety- launch' would rush-out and tow him back in; the process being repeated a dozen times.

Sadly, each year sees a couple of planes and their crews being lost.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

I don't know if it's ever been mentioned on here before, but the Mach Loop in Snowdonia, Wales is awesome. You can get the flying times on the here, but I've never been lucky enough to see any thing go through. Wales is classified as LFA7 = Low Flying Area 7. The Car Park is small, and it's about a 20 minute clime to the top of the Ravine, which I've never bothered with as the Road and Car Park would still give a spectacular sight.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/operational-low-flying-training-timetable

Here's some You Tube, just look up Mach Loop.

image.png.b7b8bca33c474f5760a2f4c6d24d952c.png

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 9

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Andrew P said:

Here's some You Tube, just look up Mach Loop.

Seeing that one above  (C-17 corrected thanks to Jeff Smith; note that I almost typed in 117; now that would have been interesting! ) doing a low-level reminded me of a Herkybird that did a wheels-up very low-level high speed pass down the runway when I was stationed at NAD Souda Bay, Crete year ago. I think that the pilot thought that he was flying the Vulcan that took off and did one a little before. My personal opinion: The 130 was more impressive than the Vulcan, even though the Vulcan came around for a second run and stood it on it tail in full burner and went straight up.

This 130 to be exact, although a different day (we got this one once a week on a round-robin schedule):

1258331719_SoudaC-130.jpg.81f77a6acac98d751f88d1aa379d2845.jpg

As far as we could tell, that hangar was built by the Luftwaffe.

The hill in the backround (most of it to the right of the hangar) shows up in a WW2 photo showing a JU-52 going down in flames, I wish that I had known that when I was stationed there. One of the Seabees found a badly rusted, bent-up machine gun when clearing an area with a bulldozer; I do not now remember whose model it was determined to be; Allied or German.

Edited by J. S. Bach
To add some information and correct some grammar errors.
  • Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 3 weeks later...

OK this is a rubbish image but it is possible to see it is an Osprey. I snapped it over my house as it's a regular sight, always flying East to West. Sometimes they are quite low too.

I know the Yanks have some in Suffolk but this one is a fair way from home and going in the wrong direction.

Incidentally, we see Chinooks quite frequently too.

steve

IMG_1007.JPG

• Like 4

I had an opportunity to discuss Osprey flying with a USMC pilot when they were first entering service in the US (I was doing some work on the final assembly line).  He said that a major advantage over slower helicopters was that when flying low in airplane mode the enemy on the ground can’t hear them coming...... 

They do seem to wander fairly far and wide from Mildenhall - all depends what training missions they are undertaking.

Seen them over Felixstowe, North Norfolk and south of Colchester at various times.

You can get some decent photos at Mildenhall from adjacent public areas, but flying patterns vary from day to day.

18-1326a.jpg.52b84ea0b8926658068b619f73c5c98c.jpg

• Like 6

4 hours ago, steve1 said:

OK this is a rubbish image but it is possible to see it is an Osprey. I snapped it over my house as it's a regular sight, always flying East to West. Sometimes they are quite low too.

I know the Yanks have some in Suffolk but this one is a fair way from home and going in the wrong direction.

Incidentally, we see Chinooks quite frequently too.

steve

IMG_1007.JPG

You can’t fool me...that’s a drone !

• Funny 4

• 3 weeks later...

I did a search here before mentioning this, so apologies in advance if this has been mentioned before and I missed it.

How fantastic would it be to see a new Mosquito in the UK?

The People's Mosquito is running "Operation Jericho 2020"

Working with world-renowned aircraft restoration company Retrotec Ltd, we are writing the Mosquito’s next chapter. Thanks to public support from all over the world, the first Mosquito fuselage moulds to be produced in the UK for more than 70 years are now well underway.

https://www.peoplesmosquito.org.uk/

Possibly the greatest "kit-built" wooden aircraft of all time? Of all the British propellor-driven WW2 aircraft, faster than a Spitfire or Hurricane, most successfull bomber (with the lowest loss rate), the original "multi-role" aircraft. And the generator that most famous quote from Hermann Goering:

It makes me furious when I see the Mosquito. I turn green and yellow with envy. The British, who can afford aluminum better than we can, knock together a beautiful wooden aircraft that every piano factory over there is building, and they give it a speed which they have now increased yet again. What do you make of that? There is nothing the British do not have. They have the geniuses and we have the nincompoops. After the war is over I’m going to buy a British radio set – then at least I’ll own something that has always worked.

• Like 3
  • Funny 3