Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

For those who like Aircraft pictures

DDolfelin

• RMweb Premium
On 10/08/2022 at 22:14, Kris said:

Took some photos today. Only 6 aircraft on display today.

Two drivers were sent home from pre-season training, hence aerobatic displays this season as a seven formation.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

TBH i find them a bit boring after 40 years , i'd like a tight formation of fighters like the blue angels but i'm sure the budget won't stretch to typhoons !

intruiging that it's a 7 ship , according to RAF for  to team members " moving to other positions ". that's either a massive cock up in planning or they got sacked 

Edited by rob D2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

The last time they flew in a seven ship formation was back in 2011/ early 2012.

This was due to Flt Lt Kirsty Moore, the Red Arrows first female pilot, leaving the team the after joining in 2010. Because of this, the MOD announced that the Red Arrows would continue to display in the rest of the 2012 season as a seven ship formation.

I can't remember if they flew in nine ship formation for the Olympic opening ceremony though 

Also of note, the tragic deaths of Flt Lt Jon Egging in August and Flt Lt Sean Cunningham in November had occurred the previous year. So this probably was also a reason why Kirsty left.

Edited by 6990WitherslackHall

Ok just found out why they're flying in seven ship formation. Hope this helps.

The following is taken from Wales online (a news page)

"And with 2022 marking the Queen's Platinum Jubilee year, the RAF decided to have two different teams perform at events this year: a team of seven performing at various aerobatics events around the UK, and the full team of nine performing at the official Jubilee events in London."

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

That’s not the reason why they’re flying 7 rather than 9.
During overseas pre-season training one member was sent home, (allegedly alcohol related) two others have been ‘redeployed’ shortly afterward.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-lincolnshire-61448975.amp

That means they don’t have a full 9 aircraft team for dynamic aerobatic displays, but can do full ‘simple’ fly pasts using 9 aircraft.

• Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

Went to see Red Arrows and the Lancaster today. 

This was the weather:

IMG_20220813_125310_968.jpg.0a69de57bab2c9263686b3c7e88c7cd9.jpg

IMG_20220813_114239_129.jpg.ab646b9953ef7dd47e1584291521de0c.jpg

The Red Arrows came, but we couldn't see anything. So after about 5 minutes they left. 

The Lancaster and Spitfire never made it to Whitby having turned round at Sleights.

With the flypasts cancelled and nothing else to do, I decided to go to Grosmont instead.

Edited by 6990WitherslackHall
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Gold

Something genteel.  In 1969 they built a replica Vickers Vimy to commemorate the 50th anniversary of Alcock and Brown's flight.  It flew on 1st June 1969 and was actually at the Paris Air show on 7th June at least.  On 14th July it caught fire and has not flown since, being moved to the RAF Museum where it now carries military colours.  Photos of her in flight must be extremely rare.  Edit: looks like the flying shot was 8th June

Vickers Vimy Replica G-AWAU Le Bourget  ground Jun69.jpg

Vickers Vimy Replica G-AWAU flying Le Bourget Jun69.jpg

Edited by Metr0Land
  • Like 12

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Jeff Smith said:

Being a retired aircraft engine engineer I wonder what engines were installed, not V12 RR Eagles I don't suppose - something more contemporary I would imagine, Wikipedia does not mention it.......

Rolls Royce Eagles according to museum blurb!

74-A-24-Vimy-Reproduction-F8614.pdf

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Metr0Land said:

Something genteel.  In 1969 they built a replica Vickers Vimy to commemorate the 50th anniversary of Alcock and Brown's flight.  It flew on 1st June 1969 and was actually at the Paris Air show on 7th June at least.  On 14th July it caught fire and has not flown since, being moved to the RAF Museum where it now carries military colours.  Photos of her in flight must be extremely rare.  Edit: looks like the flying shot was 8th June

Vickers Vimy Replica G-AWAU Le Bourget  ground Jun69.jpg

Vickers Vimy Replica G-AWAU flying Le Bourget Jun69.jpg

They used an interesting form of what would now be called crowdfunding. You could "buy" parts to be fitted to the replica when it was built. At an Old Warden show in 68 or 69 I "bought" an inspection cover for something like 2/6 (which, to give context, was more than a full week's pocket money).

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

7 hours ago, Jeff Smith said:

Early, US Starfighter had downward firing ejection seats whilst later ones had more conventional upward firing ones.

Later Starfightss we’re used for lower level operations.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

We had the pleasure of going to The Flying Prom at Old Warden last Saturday - a 60th birthday treat from our sons and their partners.  As usual with Old Warden the flying was lovely.  One of the highlights (for me) was finally seeing and hearing this beauty flying - the DH88 Comet.  

DSC_0174a.JPG

DSC_0186b.JPG

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

There’s a nice article on the DH88 below. I can remember seeing it at Mildenhall 87, and the undercarriage collapse a few weeks later at Hatfield open day. Mildenhall was interesting as there was the DH88 Comet, the DH106 Comet and the last Hatfield product the BAe 146 all present. 

https://www.key.aero/article/comets-comeback

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Not any aircraft in sight just the evidence of them. Anyone for naughts and crosses?

IMG_8429.jpeg.5dd7c6b22ff2806ba0ff8816204aa502.jpeg

Must have been very still conditions up there today.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
Just now, Kris said:

Not any aircraft in sight just the evidence of them. Anyone for naughts and crosses?

IMG_8429.jpeg.5dd7c6b22ff2806ba0ff8816204aa502.jpeg

Must have been very still conditions up there today.

Funny you should post this, first time in a very long time I have seen contrails like that out of window this morning, the low sun at sunrise emphasised them and they really stood out, one thing I like about Cornwall, hardly any con trails unlike Essex which never had a clear blue sky.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, boxbrownie said:

Funny you should post this, first time in a very long time I have seen contrails like that out of window this morning, the low sun at sunrise emphasised them and they really stood out, one thing I like about Cornwall, hardly any con trails unlike Essex which never had a clear blue sky.

And then this evening…….

2D072A70-5C5D-4B23-A08F-A38796421A4C.jpeg.5c889965a88a9f8a1ff8c5ca8665a32d.jpeg

• Like 4