Grim-up-North; Goathland, Queensbury & Bradford.

Sasquatch

• RMweb Premium

Not really railway related but some good progress non the less is some of the recent joinery.

New side door is ready to go on when I find a few minutes...

IMG_2322.jpg.fdf60dfd2b8e1f9c5961faff7ab766dd.jpg

...And my solution to the heat in there is this new bottom up-&-over door panel that I knocked up. It will simply replace one of the old bottom panels but will also fit snuggly over the trusty old air conditioning unit. Hopefully there will be free evenings next week to use it!

IMG_2323.jpg.4b31f76728cf8d10ffa2ffe5732fec53.jpg

I got on a plane once and found my seat next to a speccy looking chap who already had his nose stuck deeply into his book. 

'" What furniture would Jesus buy".

To strike up a conversation I said 

"He was a carpenter wasn't he, surely he would have made his own".

I don't know if I offended him in some way, but 9 hours of silence followed, and I've never been able to figure it out.

Squatch

In no way prejudice to religion or people who wear glasses BTW. Being a speccy old git myself!

Edited by Sasquatch
  • Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 11

• RMweb Premium

Got some early morning snaps for ya today.

The new iPhone7 takes great pictures but in a n unsupported format on RMweb. The trick is to open them with paint on the flip-top (which I normally do to down-size the image), click on File and select save as and JEPG. I always work with images on my desktop so as not to loose them, so the save creates a second set of JEPGs on the desktop. 

No trickery , just pure sunlight!

IMG_2328.jpg.e94200a44bcc04f5daf72333556a426a.jpg

IMG_2331.jpg.0d42553c99cc4d1295740eae2513887f.jpg

IMG_2325.jpg.1e95c18dc4e72463cc8ed69c9771bde4.jpg

Get those fans running if you're in the UK.

Stay cool,

Squatch.

• Like 16

• RMweb Gold

You can get your iPhone to take jpegs if you want.  Go into camera settings / format and select most compatible.  That changes it to saving as a jpeg.

Paul.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, 5BarVT said:

You can get your iPhone to take jpegs if you want.  Go into camera settings / format and select most compatible.  That changes it to saving as a jpeg.

Paul.

Thanks Paul.

Sasquatch isn't at all phone savvy, I'll get frustrated with it just trying to answer the bloomin thing!

Regards Shaun.

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, stevel said:

at least it's a little cooler in the early morning😉

We've been having very cool nights, but the sun soon gets up. I'm done working by 11am most days cos it's too darn hot!

Although it is cool enough most evenings to get other stuff done...

...Like the new door panel and air-con.

Bit of a tricky task, the sprung cable had to be clamped down (bottom clamp) and two blocks clamped to the track to hold up the top 5 panels. (Top one).

1720261382_7.18aircon(1).JPG.4f6fc5eaa87a9581e4e9feacfd934da0.JPG

Just finished. All in and working. Modeling will commence! 

109116109_7.18aircon(2).JPG.195de8383393ac14f23807346dd40dea.JPG

I'll give that a coat of paint tomorrow.

Squatch.

Edited by Sasquatch
Wasn't making any sense.
  • Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• RMweb Premium

Having just done a search for something I discovered that from about page 20 onwards, most of the images have reloaded after the black out back in March. That's a bonus!

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

All the rails have been cleaned off, the points have been made operational and running has commenced.

However, there were 5 electrical problems.

A ground wire had come loose on one of the SEEP units on Goathland. Luckily it was accessible in one of the spaces between the new storage cabinets. Fixing it involved squeezing in there with a soldering iron!

One of the SEEPs had fallen loose on Queensbury. My error as I'd neglected to screw it in place. It was relying on the hot glue!

Another wire connection on Bradford was loose on one of the relays. This only became apparent when switching to the terminus roads and took a bit of tracing. Simply had to tighten a screw terminal!

There's one dead section under the Abbey in the tunnel. Which I still need to get at. This will involve lifting the abbey section off, I suspect dirt.

The next problem is very complicated. It's a short on the triangle which only rears its head when things are set a certain way. A way in which opposes prototypical movements. So, I have documented it for further reference and am not going to try to fix it. No doubt it's a missing rail break/ isolating rail joiner. The problem is a weird one. The test locomotive started to jostle back and forth in the vicinity of Queensbury North junc. and eventually tripped the overload.

The last problem is heat related. We've had temperatures in the 100s all week. Yesterday it got to 108F and despite running the aircon unit all day on Thursday the garage was still quite warm, causing all the rails to expand. Some have buckled slightly on the long hidden loops behind Goathland and I've got a couple of live sections that should be dead.   

Buckling is evident as this train crosses the baseboard join just by the water crane!

Squatch.

Edited by Sasquatch
Numpty.
  • Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Sasquatch said:

The next problem is very complicated. It's a short on the triangle which only rears its head when things are set a certain way. A way in which opposes prototypical movements. So, I have documented it for further reference and am not going to try to fix it. No doubt it's a missing rail break/ isolating rail joiner. The problem is a weird one. The test locomotive started to jostle back and forth in the vicinity of Queensbury North junc. and eventually tripped the overload.

The last problem is heat related. We've had temperatures in the 100s all week. Yesterday it got to 108F and despite running the aircon unit all day on Thursday the garage was still quite warm, causing all the rails to expand. Some have buckled slightly on the long hidden loops behind Goathland and I've got a couple of live sections that should be dead.

I suspect some correlation here (I was going to say connection but that would have been too groanworthy).

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
17 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

I suspect some correlation here (I was going to say connection but that would have been too groanworthy).

The problem was actually quite simple; the loop that runs all the way around Bradford causes polarity reversal across the track if the crossover in front of the tunnel entrance is being used!

The train would have come to a halt if traveled another 14 inches because of the point being set the wrong way. That's the beauty of live frogs!

I've been running trains on the wrong road, as things are set up at present the castle junction acts like a fiddle yard and I'm too lazy to swap the whole train to another track and just place the engine at the other end and run it back the way it came!  

The biggest problem though is this...

IMG_2357.JPG.ecc9744e70b04d417b87e0ee9a2dc0dc.JPG

Regards Shaun.

Edited by Sasquatch
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold

I do dislike people commenting on threads when all they say is, 'that looks amazing', or 'it is so realistic', and never add anything helpful, so I shall just have to think of something helpful next time.

That last picture, 'looks amazing' and is so realistic I wondered if it was actually real until I remembered that in the 1950s everything was in black and white.

Edited by ChrisN
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium

1 hour ago, jcredfer said:

My daughter really likes the view of Queensbury Station.....   a compliment indeed!!   🤫

J

Please tell her I'm honored and that I'm still working on it and when it's done the videos should be cool.

Edited by Sasquatch
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Amazing photo Shaun,  very atmospheric.   I find myself looking at it,

waiting for the next train to come by,  so I can catch the number !

Stay cool.  I hear the temps will drop down "a bit" this week.  I hope so,  as I might be coming that way soon.

Cheers,

Felix

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1