Grim-up-North; Goathland, Queensbury & Bradford.

Sasquatch

G'Day Shaun

Don't forget, Pork Pie wagons, Vinegar wagons, mint sauce wagons, so you'll have another complete train to run.

manna

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, manna said:

G'Day Shaun

Don't forget, Pork Pie wagons, Vinegar wagons, mint sauce wagons, so you'll have another complete train to run.

manna

That's not a bad idea actually. 3 great little businesses to have in the mill town!

Porkie Pies. Honestly tasty.

Munties mint sauce. Ewe'll just love it.

Floaters vinegar, the connoisseur's choice.

• Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

On a more serious note, we have gone over to Spectrum. 300Mbps, so I got internet in the garage now. Poor cable guy was here all day and the last job was to check the bandwith in the garage. And that's where I knew him from, the local train show! Next week we have to upgrade the phones because the cell service is going 5G. This means that the Grim-Up-North YouTube channel can get underway properly.

Squatch    

• Like 8
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold

OK, I have to ask.  I have no idea what Floaters vinegar is.  Can someone explain please?

Worse than that, the word floater and food doesn't represent anything appetising to me either.  In fact, quite the opposite.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, teaky said:

OK, I have to ask.  I have no idea what Floaters vinegar is.  Can someone explain please?

Worse than that, the word floater and food doesn't represent anything appetising to me either.  In fact, quite the opposite.

You're not alone there Rob.

4 hours ago, Barry O said:

Floaters are mushy peas.. The vinegar is used with sliced raw onion to give it all a bit of "bite".

Baz

Sorry Baz. Still doesn't sound at all appetizing!

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, jcredfer said:

Definitely, vinegar and raw onions is much better on raw tripe.

Don't suppose that many have tried raw tripe in this day and age.

My dad thought that it was great.

As a kid I did beg to differ.

Also not keen on tripe poached in milk!

Pork pie and peas. 

Could do four or five after cricket, back in the day.

Ian T

• Like 5

i did enjoy the tripe, with Vinegar and onions, although I've not seen any for a good number of decades, now. It had a clarity of flavour, rare back in those post war years.

Poached in milk, I have not tried and it sends messages which don't beckon a welcome from any of my culinary experiences, so I willingly accept your verdict on that one.

Pork pie and peas, oh yes, indeed!  The ladies running the White Hart, in Castle Combe, used to produce freshly made, hand raised Pork Pies, direct from the oven, with matching accompaniments.....      They sold an awful lot of those!!!

{Quite a number to me, it might be added.}

• Like 5

G'Day Folks

A delicacy here in Adelaide SA, is a 'Pie Floater', which is a meat pie, in a bowl of Mushy Pies, with Tomato sauce heaped on the pie.............Not for me thanks.

manna 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

1 hour ago, ianathompson said:

Don't suppose that many have tried raw tripe in this day and age.

My dad thought that it was great.

As a kid I did beg to differ.

Also not keen on tripe poached in milk!

Pork pie and peas. 

Could do four or five after cricket, back in the day.

Ian T

My mum used to give us tripe about once a month dad loved it I ate it because I had to not eaten it since I left home thank god !

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

I have never felt physically ill reading posts on RMWeb until I saw above milk poached tripe.  Jeez I nearly threw up just typing that.

• Like 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold

Never had (or seen) tripe.  If you asked my dad if there was anything he didn’t like he said he ate anything except tripe.  Whether that was raw, poached in milk or otherwise cooked, I have no idea.

Paul.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
21 hours ago, manna said:

G'Day Folks

A delicacy here in Adelaide SA, is a 'Pie Floater', which is a meat pie, in a bowl of Mushy Pies, with Tomato sauce heaped on the pie.............Not for me thanks.

manna 

I first became aware of this from Terry Pratchett, in his Australian parody, and when I first read it I thought it sounded... interesting... but I'm not sure I would want to try it for real.

Al.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

There's not much modeling going on BTW. Still quite busy with woodwork projects and one more job that needs doing is to reinstall my air conditioner somehow. I was in there yesterday afternoon ballasting castle junction and had to give up because the sweat was dripping on my work and causing problems. Supposed to hit 105F this afternoon. Phew!

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium

The J50 did come out for a run the other day. Driver looks happy!

196395417_J50hoppersworking(1).JPG.148154b2d5c9f98d18fd9132ac1789dd.JPG

Here we find it at Castle junc. where it's about to make a long uphill run with a train of loaded coal hoppers.

1348511689_J50hoppersworking(2).JPG.2b3cad77811915d21d5bbcecdbe4b5f2.JPG

Climbing at 1in100 it trudges uphill through the slow loop behind Goathland.

1662533429_J50hoppersworking(3).JPG.9479f777a0ce00afd1cf8fe96972153c.JPG

Leveling out as it clears Queensbury tunnel.

1810830235_J50hoppersworking(4).JPG.0fce13198e05f7626c8455f2c0b55bbf.JPG

It's held for a short while in the Halifax-Keighley platform.

1049733735_J50hoppersworking(6).JPG.3b6942d0e9baef663d53deb2b2c07677.JPG

After crossing Brow Lane the goods train takes the cheat line into what will be Exchange platform 5 and then the stark climb of 1in50 up out of the station.

269435549_J50hoppersworking(7).JPG.4c76b6d0759f7981813534f838ce4594.JPG

I've included this shot to show the height difference from where it departed to the summit of the hidden curve on the line out of Bradford.

It's also an interesting angle as it appears the two ruins are one big structure!

2076162903_J50hoppersworking(8).JPG.41abc97e05c471f305f269f8332bce09.JPG

The train ends its scale 1 mile trip in the up loop behind Bradford's bridge street goods depot now on a 1in 80 down grade.

690440812_J50hoppersworking(9).JPG.b50af7c2029cf59c21c765e74786daea.JPG

This post was intended to show how I'm planning on presenting things when it's all complete. With train workings and journeys.

Regards Squatch.

• Like 13
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium

Much better.  I did not feel at all queasy looking at those photos.  I would go so far as to say they positively improved my mood.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 3

1 hour ago, Bogie said:

Much better.  I did not feel at all queasy looking at those photos.  I would go so far as to say they positively improved my mood.

I agree. Much nicer than a load of tripe.

• Agree 1
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Alister_G said:

I first became aware of this from Terry Pratchett, in his Australian parody, and when I first read it I thought it sounded... interesting... but I'm not sure I would want to try it for real.

Al.

At about midnight, bought from a cart on the street, it tastes like manna (not you Terry, the other sort).

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, stevel said:

Morels, very nice.

Hi Steve. Yeah delicious! Not finding many in recent years. One year I went off trail for 6 hours morel hunting and came home empty handed only to find some growing next to the doghouse. 

Regards Shaun

• Like 2
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1