Grim-up-North; Goathland, Queensbury & Bradford.

Sasquatch

I took the afternoon off yesterday (from all the cabinet work and garden work etc.) and having a case of Sierra Nevada Oktober fest in the fridge set about an extensive running session.

Unfortunately the gremlins where up to their mischief and the above electrical fault mysteriously kicked in again. Having spent hours crawling about under the layout on the last occasion with unsuccessful results I concluded the fault must be elsewhere. So in a moment of despair I loosened the base board joint. The Gremlins didn't like that at all.

The dead frog from the double slip under the road bridge extends down to the board joint so when the rails warm up, they expand across said joint causing a short when the double slip is set for the good shed. Am glad that's fixed.

attachicon.gifGoathland Train (8).JPG

Some pictures of trains from the running session.... 

J15 shunting unfitted NE vans.

attachicon.gifGoathland Train (12).JPG

Goods engines on passenger duties.

attachicon.gifGoathland Train (1).JPG

attachicon.gifGoathland Train (9).JPG

J50 with bogie bolsters.

attachicon.gifGoathland Train (2).JPG

B1 with a fitted food train heading onto the viaduct on a gloomy morning.

attachicon.gifGoathland Train (7).JPG

The owner/operator of this wagon seems appropriate for the locale.

attachicon.gifGoathland Train (5).JPG

...and two more interesting types.

attachicon.gifGoathland Train (3).JPG

Here's another kirk coach build I did a few years back. The hand painted lining looks a tad too thick but I think adding some darker panels as with the non corridor stock should help.

attachicon.gifGoathland Train (11).JPG

Happy modeling. Shaun.

Love these latest photos, Shaun. I know Goathland well, having visited the NYMR many times and I think you've captured it to a 'T'.

Am following your latest developments with interest.

Cheers

Dave

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Hi Shaun, great to see you making a start, and I must repeat what others have said, it's looking very impressive, and something not often modelled.

I am so, so jealous of your space, by the way - imagine being able to lay out 2 sheets of 8 x 4 and still have room to walk round it.

Hey Bodgit, fancy having a go at Ambergate? :jester:

Al.

Hi Shaun, great to see you making a start, and I must repeat what others have said, it's looking very impressive, and something not often modelled.

I am so, so jealous of your space, by the way - imagine being able to lay out 2 sheets of 8 x 4 and still have room to walk round it.

Hey Bodgit, fancy having a go at Ambergate? :jester:

Al.

Just about manage one third each, hahanhha

• RMweb Premium

What I’ve done here is stretched the line along the back (that’s the one on the left in the picture!) , which gives a 9' sweeping run on the layout. It also expands the inner triangle about 6”!!

post-8964-0-96356700-1472343769_thumb.jpg

Having sketched in all the major details such as embankments, buildings and railway infrastructure (tunnels, cuttings, bridges, platforms) etc. I have found that it will all fit well enough to recreate a convincing model.

The next step is to draw everything out exactly as I want to build it in 1/76 on the MDF including what sits below the surface, then I will cut the ribs which will form the baseboard modulars.

Note the strips of peco track paper indicate the positions of the six waiting room structures which I’m still not looking forward to the construction of. Gwen who has a predisposition to chew anything with my scent on had her eye on the station building. Close call!

Images from this afternoons running session.

B1 Rodeer with a down passenger.

post-8964-0-57076000-1472343800_thumb.jpg

post-8964-0-03039000-1472343814.jpg

The renumbered L1 with it's new crew.

post-8964-0-55644200-1472343879.jpg

Shaun.

Edited by Sasquatch
  • Like 7

• RMweb Gold

It's only when I spotted the station building that I realised the scale of the thing, the triangle is much better now and gives you plenty of room.

Have to say the painting on the L1's crew is just amazing mate, at first glance I thought it was a prototype shot.

Nice one Shaun!

Al.

• RMweb Premium

Thanks chaps!

Of course I would have a brain wave after drawing out the track centers onto the MDF with a permanent marker.
I said before that the construction of curved diamond crossing was beyond my skill set but chopping the Peco ones about should be a doddle! They wont be fully curved but could be made to look not so straight and long.

This picture was recently posted on The Queensbury Lines Facebook page and shows A 280WD working the demolition train.
The curved diamond is evident. I was very happy to see that the signal cabin is still sporting LNER green paint scheme in the 60s. I will still need to add some cream to the newel posts on my version.

post-8964-0-93247300-1472415483.jpg

Edited by Sasquatch
  • Like 10

• RMweb Premium

the gradients have been bothering me on this project. When looking at the photographs things are very deceptive. So I've been studying Google Earth, not that there's much to go on there and have discovered that the Halifax - Keighley line was level and the other two dropped at 1in100 towards Bradford. Not what I'd originally planned !!!

Here's the google earth map marked with spot heights in feet, approx. where the junctions used to be. I have also marked the only four visible railway features which still exist today. the triangle can still be made out.
post-8964-0-05889600-1472524703_thumb.jpg

One other feature which is on all maps is a kidney shaped feature in the middle of the triangle which I believe must have been a pond of some sort. I can't make it out in any pictures though. Hummmmmmm.(that's the sound of me procrastinating once more).

I'm ready to start cutting wood tomorrow having drawn everything 1/76.

Edited by Sasquatch
  • Like 4

Morning Shaun, That all still looks like a daunting task ahead mate, the scenic's will need some thought, and so I assume now also the graidients.

All the best, we'll sit back and enjoy the ride with you.

• RMweb Premium

Morning Shaun, That all still looks like a daunting task ahead mate, the scenic's will need some thought, and so I assume now also the graidients.

All the best, we'll sit back and enjoy the ride with you.

It was a lot easier with Goathland Andy. I printed out the google earth image for start but this triangle stuff is driving me bonkers!

There's going to be 5 modular boards plus a lift off scenic section over the storage sidings,

Shaun

• RMweb Premium

Here you go Duncan...

Lots of fun and yet more procrastination today.

These two images show what the old grey cells were aching about.
Land fill evident in the most recent picture, blows my theory about gradients out of the water. There looks to be about 8' of the stuff which leads me to think that all the rails on the site were on the level. Shame as I was quite excited about having them. I might still include them, after all it's my model!!
post-8964-0-50680500-1472622143.jpg
post-8964-0-29446200-1472622159.jpg

First job this afternoon was to cut the boards down to size and make the cuts where the modular joins go. I knew that panel saw would come in handy one day!
post-8964-0-94924400-1472622208.jpg

It went together to check for fit. red lines show the joins and the green will be the lift of scenic bits. EDIT...It's not clear but two of the modular sections are the 12" wide, low level hidden passing loops under the green at back and the now 6th module is at far left.  I also added two loops to my original plan. One by reconfiguring the point work for the low level goods line to the mill town and one because I have the space and the points.  
post-8964-0-42287800-1472622226_thumb.jpg

Next I drew and sized up the exit curves at the other corner and tied these tracks in with the station plan. I found that there is room here for another cross over and the siding leading up to the footbridge. I'll be using code 100 rail for this as there's everything I need in my stores.
post-8964-0-72037800-1472622243_thumb.jpg

Then I set out the three buildings already made, to see how they looked.
post-8964-0-74595800-1472622257_thumb.jpg

Anyone who thinks I'm mad making the buildings prior to the layout might not now question my sanity. It took 45 mins. to get that looking the way I wanted it, the station masters should be about 18" further back of course and now I'm thinking about adding a half relief model of Willow hall farm house.
post-8964-0-85070100-1472622271_thumb.jpg

Off to bed hopefully more tomorrow.
Squatch.

Edited by Sasquatch
  • Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Anyone who thinks I'm mad making the buildings prior to the layout might not now question my sanity.

On the contrary, when trying to match a prototype location, if you have a specific view in mind then you obviously want to get that right first and then lay the track to match afterwards.

I suppose, in a way I've done similar on both Bakewell and Grindleford,

Definitely for Bakewell I wanted the visual flow from the Bridge through the Station to the Signal Box and the Goods Shed which is seen in so many photos, and I couldn't get that to look right until I'd built rough analogues of the structures to work from.

Al.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Things are starting to look like a giant jigsaw puzzle.

All the bits you see are the track bed and everything above. the missing stuff is below track level. From the water ditch at Hole Bottom on Brow Lane to the ground above Queensbury tunnel entrance will be 16" total height. About the same as Goathland, strange!

post-8964-0-53012600-1472669521_thumb.jpg

Squatch,Back to the workshop

• Like 7

G'day Gents

Looking good, I agree with your assessment on the bridge 8' looks about right, but filled completely in the background. It will look good to seen N1's rumbling under the bridge again, even if they are models.

manna

• RMweb Premium

Slow progress today.

I cut all the ribs for the first modular and assembled it. My saws and nail guns speeded things up a bit. The holes reduce the weight and allow for inter-modular connectors, wring etc.

post-8964-0-48366900-1472782380.jpg

post-8964-0-13438600-1472782409.jpg

post-8964-0-11810500-1472782434.jpg

This one shows the track bed in place.

post-8964-0-54105800-1472782452.jpg

First thing tomorrow I'll add the wing facers' Brow Lane road surface and the tramway track bed.

Squatch

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

Slow progress today.

I cut all the ribs for the first modular and assembled it. My saws and nail guns speeded things up a bit. The holes reduce the weight and allow for inter-modular connectors, wring etc.

attachicon.gifQueensbury modular A (1).JPG

attachicon.gifQueensbury modular A (2).JPG

attachicon.gifQueensbury modular A (3).JPG

This one shows the track bed in place.

attachicon.gifQueensbury modular A (4).JPG

First thing tomorrow I'll add the wing facers' Brow Lane road surface and the tramway track bed.

Squatch

Superb carpentry Shaun, but then we would expect nothing less from a Master Craftsman, it really is looking very good indeed, especially now with the contours showing up.

Well done.

• RMweb Premium

Wonderful carpentry, far too good to be a baseboard for a model railway, I reckon you could sell it at a ridiculous price as a piece of modern sculpture...

Very nice mate,

Al.

Ya know I've got the urge to build a plywood dragon skeleton. Not that I will because I'm very environmentally friendly and try not to waste a single scrap of wood. They're cutting down our forests so fast it's a disaster.

This piece was Mrs. S's Christmas present. Mostly alder, built from all the off cuts left over from the kitchen rebuild.

post-8964-0-71260600-1472827716.jpg

The ply for the layout comes from the bargain shed at the local hardware store and is all the off cuts from construction jobs! $4 a half sheet.

Squatch Off to hug some trees!

Edited by Sasquatch
  • Like 5
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold

This piece was Mrs. S's Christmas present. Mostly alder, built from all the off cuts left over from the kitchen rebuild.

attachicon.gifMrs.S's desk..JPG

That is just beautiful mate, a superb piece of work.

In my view, most things constructed of wood are more eco friendly than plastic or metal equivalents, and certainly things like furniture will hopefully last for centuries, and when they do, eventually, come to the end of their life, they degrade naturally back into the environment.

I still think that cardboard and paper packaging is probably better for the environment than plastic, polystyrene or tinfoil, and can be more easily recycled, but I am also aware of the dangers of de-forestation. It's a shame that human beings can't achieve the balance they once had with nature, by replacing what they use, but this seems to be a forgotten concept.

Hrrrmmm

Anyway, enough of that.

Nice picture of your missus' drawers mate.

Al

• RMweb Premium

Totally agree with you Al. I hate plastic stuff except for the likes of styrene strip and wagon kits obviously.
 We have two trash bins, one's blue for the recycles and what we can't put in it Mrs. S. takes to a place that will take it.   
It's bad enough we lost 1.6m acres of forest to over 6000 wild fires in Oregon and Washington last year alone. Not to mention the pine beetle plight, wile the demand for douglas fir world wide grows and pushes the prices up making logging a viable trade.

I might have to get the chain saw out  this winter and take down two mature ponderosa pines that look like they have succumbed to the pine beetles jaws. . The wood wont be any good, not even for the fire because of the pitch. Very sad.

EDIT: Don't you mean "Mrs. S's. fancy black drawers"...

Edited by Sasquatch
  • Like 4