• RMweb Gold

I have added these two photos to a discussion about 'electric blue' livery on another thread; and so they may as well get an airing on this more relevant thread as well.

E3098 is light engine passing Shilton NE of Coventry on 5th March 1965. My guess is that live electrification had reached Rugby by that time, and there would be a lot of light engine movements associated with loco changes.

e3098 shilton coventry 5:3:65.jpg

E3001 (also passing the village of Shilton) on a WCML express. The slide mount gives the date as 12th August 1965, and if true seems to show that varying liveries were being carried by the AL1-5s at that time.

e3001 shilton coventry 12:8:65.jpg

I think electrification reached Cov in 1964/5. I have a photograph taken by my dad of what he thinks is the first electric train into Cov, hauled by E3029. I'm not posting it here, as some of the people in the photograph may still be alive.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

I apologise for any confusion.

Shilton was/is not on the Birmingham spur, but on the WCML between Rugby and Nuneaton. However, because of the geography of the area Coventry was the closest urban area to Shilton. 

I have added these two photos to a discussion about 'electric blue' livery on another thread; and so they may as well get an airing on this more relevant thread as well. 

E3098 is light engine passing Shilton NE of Coventry on 5th March 1965. My guess is that live electrification had reached Rugby by that time, and there would be a lot of light engine movements associated with loco changes. 

attachicon.gife3098 shilton coventry 5:3:65.jpg

E3001 (also passing the village of Shilton) on a WCML express. The slide mount gives the date as 12th August 1965, and if true seems to show that varying liveries were being carried by the AL1-5s at that time. 

attachicon.gife3001 shilton coventry 12:8:65.jpg

Love the pictures, very nostalgic. I think the "yellow bib" was applied fairly quickly during 1965 such that by 1966 I think all locos were so treated. The LMR were also quick to move to full yellow ends and rail blue although the white cab roof treatment hung around on some locos until the early 70s, I recall seeing AL6 locos with full yellow ends, double arrow logos and white cab roofs passing my primary school in the summer of 1971.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Love the pictures, very nostalgic. I think the "yellow bib" was applied fairly quickly during 1965 such that by 1966 I think all locos were so treated. The LMR were also quick to move to full yellow ends and rail blue although the white cab roof treatment hung around on some locos until the early 70s, I recall seeing AL6 locos with full yellow ends, double arrow logos and white cab roofs passing my primary school in the summer of 1971.

Yes, I guess with 100mph running and swift, silent electrics, the LM would have had to be amongst the first rolling yellow ends out. I'd be interested to know which was the last AC electric to carry electric blue in service, and when?

Edited by rodent279

attachicon.gife3098 shilton coventry 5:3:65.jpg

attachicon.gife3001 shilton coventry 12:8:65.jpg

What a fantastic pair of images Jonny, many thanks for sharing them. Shilton is the point where trains on the Up Slow have to shut off and brake for the permanent 50mph slack a little further on, one of our retired drivers at Rugby told me years ago that there was a landslide there back in the '30s and was only supposed to be a temporary restriction, but for some reason it was never lifted and stays in place to this day. It's quite a deceptive climb to Shilton in both directions, more so heading north and you can see the extent of it from the cab, at night the furthest signal beyond the summit looks like it's almost on the ground. Once clear of the summit going north you almost always have to shut off for the inevitable two yellows at Bulkington for a sideways move onto the Down Slow at Attle'bro.The Down Loop in both of those photos is now long gone of course, I'm not sure exactly when it was lifted but it may have been as early as the end of 1965 when Rugby PSB was fully commissioned (itself now gone too, sadly).

Edited by Rugd1022

Here is one from a box of slides I purchased recently. 

I hope it is an AC electric cab; but as I am not familiar with these angles it could be something else. 

post-4474-0-59547000-1529668685_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Definitely an 87

When were the second pans removed from the early ACs the 66 pictures don't feature them but they don't appear to be dual braked either, which I thought was the reason for removal as it freed up space for air resovoirs ?

Definitely an 87

When were the second pans removed from the early ACs the 66 pictures don't feature them but they don't appear to be dual braked either, which I thought was the reason for removal as it freed up space for air resovoirs ?

They were removed as it was found that a single pantograph worked OK in both directions, and removing a pan reduced maintenance costs. They did not have twin pans for very long, they were removed some time before the air braking conversion started. The now empty space on the roof was just the most convenient place to put the reservoirs.

• 1 month later...

Finally, and by way of contrast, we have an EMU passing the site of the former Brinklow station, heading towards Rugby, heading away from the camera. I wasn't ready when it approached, so snapped it after it had passed. I figured that as both ends looked the same, it wouldn't matter! This was Autumn 1978.

post-7153-0-10501100-1534068021_thumb.jpg

• Like 10

• 2 months later...

Is it my failing eyesight, or does the Derby twin unit that arrives at 4:37 not have its gangway connections joined up between cars?

Well spotted! watched this several times and never noticed this before. Looks like a DMS working with one of the singles (79900/79901) as there appears to be no corridor connection as you can see the building behind.  

Edited by TRAILRAGE

More scanned prints from the early 1990's

Wow Those carflats behind he 90 in the last photo have external trussrods. Surely  they cant be conversions from LMS stock (Oxford Rail version) can they? Thought these had gone by the early 80's. Dont think the EX GWR or SR conversions lasted that long either? Interesting.

CheersTrailrage