Forgotten how much I miss those days. So much to see. The Railways just seem to sterile for me nowadays.

I know what you mean, but I bet enthusiasts said exactly the same thing when their beloved steam locos were replaced by diesels, and then silent (in comparison) electrics !

There very good photos bob like the one of the intercity swift livery 90022 that livery suits the class the best .

I always thought there was too much White on these liveried 90's and especially on the one and only class 89, i much preferred the darker version like on 90 034 above. I just found another old Asda carrier bag bulging full of my old photo negs' all from the 1990's and 2000, an old till receipt in the bag was dated 2000. So i've a lot of stuff yet to scan and post. All my pics' are'nt the best of quality and neither is my scanner and are fit only for modelling research purposes, but if they help others with any minor details i'm happy to share them. :)

One more of 022 from a slightly different angle.

post-31611-0-91842500-1543744792_thumb.jpg

• Like 15

Hi Bob,

This thread and the pictures have been extreamly useful for me, I wish I had taken more myself now.

I am doing a late 90s wcml layout and there is nothing like photo's for insperation or help. Sometimes I have even found something in the background of a shot that is just as useful as the loco being photographed.

Anyway great shots of the class 90s and thanks a lot for sharing.

All the best

Dave

Edited by DavidMcKenzie

Can't believe I forgot to mention this: the horn installed on this loco sounds like one of those squeaking rubber ducks. At least it did that evening.

As built they all had three horns so when you hit the high tone you got all three at the same time. Due to incidents in yards with ground staff getting accidentally deafened by them. The freight ones or mixed traffic ones had the centre horn removed and the lower one disconnected. when you hit the high tone you just had one horn which of course sounded a bit strange.

As built they all had three horns so when you hit the high tone you got all three at the same time. Due to incidents in yards with ground staff getting accidentally deafened by them. The freight ones or mixed traffic ones had the centre horn removed and the lower one disconnected. when you hit the high tone you just had one horn which of course sounded a bit strange.

Ah, ok. I thought it was just broken or something.

• RMweb Premium

The north end of Crewe station on 29th May 1966 with E3129 closest to the camera, photo c/o John Evans...

attachicon.gifLMR CREWE John Evans E3129 290566.jpg

Clearly demonstrates that there was more than one colour that was referred to as "Electric Blue".  One IS Electric Blue, the other is TP1 (I think that's the brighter shade).

Not quite worked out which AL6s had the red buffer beams but it might have been those that were outshopped initially withouth yellow panels.

This would have been one of those but it had gained a yellow panel by 1966:

20741463503_1da6062b07_z.jpgE3162_Stockport_8-4-66 by Robert Carroll, on Flickr

This one has a blue buffer beam and probably had a yellow panel from new: 

33096292173_c177e6db31_z.jpgE3189_Euston_c1967 by Robert Carroll, on Flickr

• Like 15