Abbotswood junction - Original layout - thread now closed please see Abbotswood and Norton Junctions

Phil Bullock

• RMweb Gold

We were sufficiently relaxed yesterday for a bit of tinkering...

But unfortunately Basil's car broke down again!

post-7138-0-55604900-1465236010_thumb.jpg

Hee hee

Phil

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Hee hee

Have Oxford made one of those yet????

I don't usually have time for videos at a show - sorry Mike - and Pierre forgot his camera. Others may emerge however

But fear not, plans are afoot for another weekend filming session

Jimbo thinks we need to include every loco - will be longer than Ben Hur if we do

And come back soon - Mr Hanson's leg pulls hurt much more than yours - literally ! See big Jims photo up the thread for explanation

Phil

• Like 2

Sorry Phil.

Pedant mode on.

It was a red Austin 100 countryman.

Pedant mode off.

Looking forward to videos of the weekend.

Mike.

I think it's lost a few c.c.'s in the typing there, mike!

[in double-pedant mode!] :P

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Fawlty diversions over - for the moment.

Thoughts are turning again to phase two ... or perhaps not the phase 2....

Because by building a second phase we are perpetuating the faults with phase 1 ... which as I get older gets heavier! 4 x 4 boards with 10" deep modroc scenery are not light, and the curves from the junction to get under the Oxford line are far too tight to look their best on a main line. And Jimbo thinks the scenery at the southern end looks more like rugged Yorkshire rather than gently rolling Worcestershire.

So perhaps a complete rebuild instead?

What are the successes of phase 1?

Well ...

DCC for starters - ECoS has been brilliant, and the single bus connectors between boards have been very reliable

As have SMD82 accessory controllers, frog juicers and tortoise point motors.

Copper clad sleepers at board ands have also been very robust

So these we will perpetuate

The lawn is now calling - more thoughts later

Phil

• Like 1

This is how it works: we all make mistakes. We learn from those mistakes with our next layout, but make a whole raft of new mistakes. And so it goes on with each successive layout!

:)

• RMweb Gold

Spot on SRman...

So what are the other problems?

Shorts take out the whole layout - no power districts

Lack of room in the fiddle yard - not enough roads or room between them to easily take trains on and off

What else is good?

Operationally our main line train formations are popular

The depth of the layout attracts many positive comments regarding perspectives - as does the scenery

Coupling loops allow superdetailing on both ends of locos

Some other matters are a pain but we will live with...

Hornby close couplers are not easy .... but their effectiveness is worth the hassle

Likewise removing the signals every time we transport is a pain, can we avoid that I wonder?

Anything anyone else who has seen or operated the layout would like to comment on?

Cheers

Phil

Edited by Phil Bullock
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

OMG has Mike finally worn you down Phil, Abbottswood EM gauge is in the pipe line :D

I'd highly recommend it although you'll have to remortgage to swap all your wheels over!!

Seriously though I wasn't expecting this, would you hand build the track in OO?

All the best a shocked me!

• RMweb Gold

Hi Paul

Its the weight of the boards that's the main reason....

Will get a plan of thoughts as to how the rebuild could look up before too long...

But deff not EM! And probably not hand built track either.....

Hope all is good with you?

Phil

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Phil

I am reading this correctly, before going down the road of phase two you are considering a new improved phase one and phase two combined?

If so a suggestion new boards of narrow width for the railway to be on with lightweight scenic boards attached to them. There are enough natural breaks in the scenery, the railway boundary being one which will help disguise any baseboard joins. You could end up with some odd shaped boards which are a blighter to deal with when traveling.

I will not be offended if you say, please engage brain first before typing. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Clive - thoughts most welcome!

You are spot on re the odd shaped boards - we already have those on phase 1 at either end of the fiddle yard and as you say they can be awkward

Key design factors to be considered are minimising the number of board joins but by definition on a layout this size that's pretty difficult

Initial thoughts for the new build are that we will end up with a layout 27 ft x 10 ft. 4ft by 3 ft boards as as standard so a run of 9 front and back with a 4 ft by 2 ft board at either end between the front scenic boards and the fiddle yard boards.

The cunning plan then is to bolt together a scenic and fiddle yard board face to face to make a projective box for transport - but nered to be lightweight monocoque construction with integral back scenes - and with deep enough frames to accommodate tortoise motors. Sort of predicts 5mm laser cut ply construction....and separate legs for lightness too

Phil

Edited by Phil Bullock
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Hi PaulIts the weight of the boards that's the main reason....Will get a plan of thoughts as to how the rebuild could look up before too long...But deff not EM! And probably not hand built track either.....Hope all is good with you?Phil

Devastated :(

;)

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

If we go down this road its just the components Andi....

Phase 2 would work as an add on but we think this would be so much better....

No good for local shows that can only accommodate a 12 ft layout though....

Phil

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

If we go down this road its just the components Andi....

Phase 2 would work as an add on but we think this would be so much better....

No good for local shows that can only accommodate a 12 ft layout though....

Phil

so you build two versions of board H4 from your plan... one for the full layout and one for only half of it :)

Andi

Guest bri.s

Sounds an interesting project and one I'll be following

Can't access the link from my iPhone unfortunately

Brian

Weight sounds to be critical   May be relatively thin plywood boxes / troughs without any framing and the track placed on the floor of the trough and using the sides for rigidity - like U shaped girder.  you might need a few strategically placed over bridges that can disguise strengtheners across the top of the box.

I guess you must have access to a medium sized van for transport - or perhaps better still a pallet truck with a tail lift and little trolley for moving things.

I shall watch and read with interest.

Regards

Ray

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

layout is currently 12 x 9 and transports in a LWB transit or similar which I have to hire ....

Need to make sure Mk2 version fits in same vehicle!

Phil

• Like 2