The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Evolution in Action; Darwin Award.

Arthur

The Rules for the Darwin Awards

1. A full Darwin:  Killed in a stupid way without damaging the gene pool
  2. Half Darwin: Killed in a stupid way but unfortunately for the population damage the gene pool
  3. an honourable mention: No death but came close doing some thing stupid

In this case he only qualifies for an honourable mention as he still lives even thought has cobblers were found in the tree.

Marc  

Oh I think this definitely qualifies for a Darwin Award, they need to rewrite the definitions for exceptional contributions like this one. His future contribution to the gene pool is well and truly over.

• RMweb Gold

this case he only qualifies for an honourable mention as he still lives even thought has cobblers were found in the tree.

Marc

But he has gone above and beyond the call of duty by removing his genes from the pool.

• RMweb Premium

For all I find the black humour in the Darwin awards funny even if we shouldn't really I do think that the case of a woman running over her son (only son or not) is taking things from the perhaps being morally wrong but funny to being something else.

• RMweb Premium

I thought that, the Darwin Award recipient stories are usually amusing (rightly or wrongly), but at least without context, running over your child doesn't sound particularly funny!

Story in the OP certainly makes you wince though.

Here gents we have a Darwin Award winner who has rather effectively removed his genes from the common pool.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3759288/Lunatic-speeding-driver-castrated-tree-branch-crashed-car-nearly-double-speed-limit.html

No great loss I would suggest but Eeeooooowwwwww!

As Aussie sports commentators occasionally say:

"That's gotta hurt....."

Is there another source to the issue, after all the Daily Wail is not renowned for accuracy.

Scunthorpe Telegraph any more trustworthy?

http://www.scunthorpetelegraph.co.uk/i-pulled-it-out-and-my-testicles-fell-out-tree-branch-lodges-in-driver-s-groin-in-crash/story-29651644-detail/story.html

Same report basically.

• RMweb Premium

The Rules for the Darwin Awards

1. A full Darwin:  Killed in a stupid way without damaging the gene pool
  2. Half Darwin: Killed in a stupid way but unfortunately for the population damage the gene pool
  3. an honourable mention: No death but came close doing some thing stupid

In this case he only qualifies for an honourable mention as he still lives even thought has cobblers were found in the tree.

Marc  

Reading the Rules, I agree he's definitely an Honourable Mention only, as he's not dead.

If people don't like the Rules as given (they've been around since the 1990s), then perhaps someone else needs to create a site with Rules that they like.

After all, it is just intended as a bit of fun (except for those directly involved!).

Nope, checking the Darwin Award website the current award criteria do not include death as mandatory, sterility is sufficient.

Here are the five criteria which must be met, Nicholas St Clair meets all of them.

Reproduction

Out of the gene pool: dead or sterile.

Excellence

Astounding misapplication of judgment.

Self-Selection

Cause one's own demise.

Maturity

Capable of sound judgment.

Veracity

The event must be true.

I have entered the man for this years award.

Archived