Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Hornby Bulleid coaches?

paftrain

Quite possibly the ones started by Airfix/GMR. Indeed there was a picture along with a Schools 4-4-0.

IIRC, the picture in the Airfix catalogue depicted a prototype model with shallow (10 1/4" High) Sliding vents.

A few years back, I posted a pic. onto a similar topic in a previous version of RMweb. I'll have to see if I can find it.

• RMweb Premium

Whilst it would be wonderful to have new Bulleid coaches from Hornby (especially if the different type to what Bachmann already do), I rather suspect -  as others have - that it is a mistake in the publication rather than being real as such. But I would love to be proved wrong!

If they did their Bulleids' like they did the Mk1s it would be great too, with a budget friendly option that they could put into their packs along with the new MN to come. However iirc Farish haven't long introduced new/updated tooled N Bulleid coaches so Bachmann may yet do theirs again?

I would beg to differ on any Bulleid's from Hornby being done like their Mk1s. I would want them on a par with the Maunsells, so they are a giant step up from the current Bachmann offerings. Shallow windows and that oh so useful BCK would be great.

IIRC, the picture in the Airfix catalogue depicted a prototype model with shallow (10 1/4" High) Sliding vents.

A few years back, I posted a pic. onto a similar topic in a previous version of RMweb. I'll have to see if I can find it.

A quick sort through my Airfix catalogues had this picture, not the one I remembered I think that is in the GMR catalogue which I can't find that at the moment. 

IMG_zpsmo8j8lo2.jpg

• Like 1

I would say that I'm surprised (but I would be lying) that a thread inspired by what seems to be a misunderstanding, has made it to two pages in no time at all.

I particularly like the idea that Hornby will see what a popular idea it is and as a consequence will leap into action and make them anyway. On that basis I should start a spurious thread that Hornby are going to do some Suburban Colletts and Toplights and we'll get them by the end of the year.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I would beg to differ on any Bulleid's from Hornby being done like their Mk1s. I would want them on a par with the Maunsells, so they are a giant step up from the current Bachmann offerings. Shallow windows and that oh so useful BCK would be great.

Both oh-so-useful BCKs, please. The loose ones were substantially different to those in the 2-sets.

John

• Like 1

A quick sort through my Airfix catalogues had this picture, not the one I remembered I think that is in the GMR catalogue which I can't find that at the moment. 

IMG_zpsmo8j8lo2.jpg

That's the pic. I remember. Cheers bigherb.  :good:

• RMweb Premium

I would say that I'm surprised (but I would be lying) that a thread inspired by what seems to be a misunderstanding, has made it to two pages in no time at all.

I particularly like the idea that Hornby will see what a popular idea it is and as a consequence will leap into action and make them anyway. On that basis I should start a spurious thread that Hornby are going to do some Suburban Colletts and Toplights and we'll get them by the end of the year.

Seems you were at least partly correct: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/114711-new-gw-toplights-by-the-end-of-the-year/&do=findComment&comment=2425892

Amazing.

• RMweb Gold

IMG_zpsmo8j8lo2.jpg

Those are the GWR Centenary coaches in BR maroon (you can even see the W prefix on the number on that pic), not Bulleid coaches. More examples here.

• RMweb Premium

Personally, I cannot think of any railroad models that are actually better than the Bachmann Bulleids' (excluding some modern era items). Granted, the Bulleids' are getting on a bit, they out class those late 70s tooled Collets, Maunsells, Staniers, Gresleys and Pullmans by some margin. You won't see me running any of those on the layout today unless I'm doing a 70s nostalgia thing.

Maybe their new Mk 1s, but this would be only on shape and not on detail.

I think the Railroad Mk.1 is a much better model than the Bachmann Bulleid stock, I also think the Railroad air-con Mk.2 is a better model (in spite of the sole bar issue).

Rather than thinking about some Bulleid coaches that may or may not appear in 3 or 4 years, what would be more useful to a lot of S.R. modellers would be a BCK and CK of the existing Maunsell stock in Malachite.  At the moment there are only 3rd Brakes, Firsts and Thirds.   Perhaps this may be part of Horrnby's announcement for 2017/8.  I am particularly hoping for a BCK to enable me to form a 3-coach set of the Weymouth Portion of the "Bournemouith Limited" together with a Malachite liveried Schools.  As far as I remember there were some produced a few years ago (r4338?) but they seem not to be on the market at the Moment.

• RMweb Premium

Rather than thinking about some Bulleid coaches that may or may not appear in 3 or 4 years, what would be more useful to a lot of S.R. modellers would be a BCK and CK of the existing Maunsell stock in Malachite. At the moment there are only 3rd Brakes, Firsts and Thirds. Perhaps this may be part of Horrnby's announcement for 2017/8. I am particularly hoping for a BCK to enable me to form a 3-coach set of the Weymouth Portion of the "Bournemouith Limited" together with a Malachite liveried Schools. As far as I remember there were some produced a few years ago (r4338?) but they seem not to be on the market at the Moment.

There were R4338/A/B/C versions of the CK in malachite and I seem to recall some hanging around for a while, so may not be on the priority list for a rerun. But this and the BCK would be reruns using existing tooling, whereas I was thinking of a new range of coaches from Hornby, seeing as they have been producing one almost every year for a while now.

Edited by brushman47544

So is it confirmed then that this was just an error, or is there still some small ray of hope?

Hopefully whoever gets around to an updated line of Bulleids does that ones that actually appear with some regularity! BCK, BSK, CK, SK does the vast majority of sets. BTK is probably the next most common type. No doubt some all but useless FKs and full brakes would be churned out though

Quentin

• RMweb Premium

So is it confirmed then that this was just an error, or is there still some small ray of hope?

Hopefully whoever gets around to an updated line of Bulleids does that ones that actually appear with some regularity! BCK, BSK, CK, SK does the vast majority of sets. BTK is probably the next most common type. No doubt some all but useless FKs and full brakes would be churned out though

Quentin

I believe that most Bulleid stock fell into the SOBT (Semi Open Brake Third), TO (Third Open) categories rather than the traditional BSK and SK types.

Bachmann produce (in old tooling) the SOBT, CK and SO thus covering the variants produced in the largest quantities

• RMweb Gold

Quentin

I think several of us picked up on what is a probable typo and ran with it, though it's been quite fun while it lasted.

It might eventually do some good if anyone from Hornby has come across it, but I'll not be holding my breath.

Incidentally, a BTK is the same thing as a BSK, the code just changed when third class was abolished.

I agree about the relative uselessness of FKs for most purposes but, as the SR didn't build full brakes to match their passenger coaches, there wouldn't be one of those. That said, my own Rule Two of railway modelling states that you can never have too much NPCCS. :jester:  

John

• RMweb Gold

I believe that most Bulleid stock fell into the SOBT (Semi Open Brake Third), TO (Third Open) categories rather than the traditional BSK and SK types.

Bachmann produce (in old tooling) the SOBT, CK and SO thus covering the variants produced in the largest quantities

There were 110 Bulleid SKs as against 50 SO's, the latter being generally loose stock, used for strengthening purposes and excursion traffic, rather than being included in sets.

Bachmann's did the SK, too and their SO is really just an SK fitted with an open-seated interior. The roof vents need replacing with a row down the centre to make it look like a SO.

The Bulleid SOBTs were almost unique in the UK in having a mix of compartment and open accommodation in the same vehicle. I think the only other examples were a small number of half-and-half First Class carriages elsewhere, the open portion being used for dining on trains where demand didn't justify a full Restaurant First.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

• RMweb Gold

There were 110 Bulleid SKs as against 50 SO's, the latter being generally loose stock, used for strengthening purposes and excursion traffic, rather than being included in sets.

Bachmann's did the SK, too and their SO is really just an SK fitted with an open-seated interior. The roof vents need replacing with a row down the centre to make it look like a SO.

The Bulleid SOBTs were almost unique in the UK in having a mix of compartment and open accommodation in the same vehicle. I think the only other examples were a small number of half-and-half First Class carriages elsewhere, the open portion being used for dining on trains where demand didn't justify a full Restaurant First.

John

Unusual but not that rare: HAPs, VEPs, BR GN suburban stock.....

Interesting, interesting. Pardon the dunce moment on the full brakes. 

Out of curiosity, were the SOBTs all loose? Or were they given another classification upon nationalization? They don't appear on this page: http://www.semgonline.com/coach/CoachSets.txt

Quentin

I've had a look in the 1961 SR appendix to carriage working notices which lists all sets and loose stock. Like many other good things, it may be found in Robert Carroll's dropbox.  Sets 63 - 76, and doubtless others which contain the semi open brake seconds [most of 767 - 865 on further inspection] show these vehicles as BSK*, the asterisk signifying 'semi open type'.  Whether a 'proper' code such as SOBSK was used elsewhere, such as on the vehicle, I know not.

Chris 

• 3 months later...

Let's not let this frothy thread die. Last replied to on Sept 12th, I am sure those of us with cheque books

poised for the forthcoming Air smoothed Merchant Navies will want something authentic for it to haul.

Yes please, Hornby, some Bulleid coaches. If you want cash in the bank, don't ignore this plea !.

Your Maunsell coaches are lovely, and suitable fodder for the MN to haul, as are your MK1's.

But there is, I am sure, a strong market out there for some Bulleids too.

What Hornby need is some pester power from us Southern fans. So please keep posting on this thread.

• RMweb Premium

Well you never know as Hornby has shown willingness to expand coach ranges eg the extension of Mk1 range. The problem is they are going up against an established range,but if they price them per Colletts(with post Brexit increase) , bring them in at the same standard I think like you this could be a very popular range for them. They would need to carefully select diagrams. But if Bachmanns Thompsons are coming in at £55 ( and that was pre Brexit) then I think there is scope. Also Bachmann are taking a long time to bring new coach ranges to market . I think we are talking 3 or 4 years for Thompsons, Birdcages and mk2s so there is still time for Hornby to steal a March here. More likely for 2018 though.

Another filler for Hornby given that they are extending ranges is a CK for their Stanier range . Crying out to be modelled

Edited by Legend

• 9 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Getting on for 9 months and no birth yet. So, as I shall die before this happens it will be Comet or Bill Bedford sides on the carppy Bachman sides if ICBA. Yes, I know the Baccy sides ar a little short but I don't care any more.

L.A.Y. Zeebastard