COBALT IP DIGITAL POINT MOTOR.

shibushe

Thought I would give one of these a try. I am using a ZTC 611 CONTROLLER.

Wiring as per instructions,  using the program output of the 611, switching the motor to set, then entering an address.

Followed by setting to run asking the 611 to switch the motor, Nowt Happens ?

Is it possible that the 611 program output is 9volts, I know this is something to do with protecting a decoder.

I have a number of TT300s programed the same way, always work.

Hopefully there is an answer. 

Thought I would give one of these a try. I am using a ZTC 611 CONTROLLER.

Wiring as per instructions, using the program output of the 611, switching the motor to set, then entering an address.

Followed by setting to run asking the 611 to switch the motor, Nowt Happens ?

Is it possible that the 611 program output is 9volts, I know this is something to do with protecting a decoder.

I have a number of TT300s programed the same way, always work.[/font

Hopefully there is an answer.

Are you using the program track output of the 611 to program the cobalts?

If so, this might be your problem, I've always programmed the cobalt digital IP 'on the main' without any problems.

• RMweb Premium

AFAIK most accesories are normally programmed on the main.

Certainly NCE Switch 8s (as well as TT300s) are.

They have a setting or link enabling to be done so.

I only programme locos on programming mode.

Keith

The colbalt digital needs to be connected to the main bus bar to program them, I put a 470ohm resister in the circuit to protect the internal motor from the full voltage as suggested by DCCconcepts and I have 12 working on my layout using a Z21.

regards

mike g

Thanks for all replies. Have them working via Push Button, cant say I like them.

As these two were given for free I mignt aswell use them.

Wont be buying any more though.

Is that the push button switches or the Cobalt IP digital point motors that you won't be buying again?

The colbalt digital needs to be connected to the main bus bar to program them, I put a 470ohm resister in the circuit to protect the internal motor from the full voltage as suggested by DCCconcepts and I have 12 working on my layout using a Z21.

If you do use a series resistor, then the single point frog polarity output ceases to work correctly.   In one position of the turnout blades the frog output will be via the 470 ohm resistor, and may as well be a "dead frog" for all that it can do to power a loco.   The fix for this shortcoming is, if using the series resistor, to use the other contact switches and three wires to deal with the frog output (ie. the way most other motors would be wired).

- Nigel

FWIW - I have installed 17 of them wired from the main bus lines, switching them from a track diagram on my ESU ECoS controller without any problems. Once the switch on the Cobalt has been set, an address is given to the Cobalt units in turn by touching the screen and each one responds.

I've also given several the same address for crossovers and by touching the screen they work in tandem as required.

That said I've also had a couple of rouge units in multiple packs and when mentioned to DCC Concepts I have recieved replacements FOC direct from their Australian base. So, no complaints with the units or excellent customer service.

I must also add that I've installed about 3 Tortoise units too off separate decoders in the same manner and I don't really notice any difference between either manufacturer.

Is that the push button switches or the Cobalt IP digital point motors that you won't be buying again?

Its the motors, not the push Buttons.  Further to my post, I obtained these for free, not being able to get them to work on DCC one reason I would not buy more.

Stick with the ones I do know work with my system.

• 2 months later...

FWIW - I have installed 17 of them wired from the main bus lines, switching them from a track diagram on my ESU ECoS controller without any problems. Once the switch on the Cobalt has been set, an address is given to the Cobalt units in turn by touching the screen and each one responds.

I've also given several the same address for crossovers and by touching the screen they work in tandem as required.

That said I've also had a couple of rouge units in multiple packs and when mentioned to DCC Concepts I have recieved replacements FOC direct from their Australian base. So, no complaints with the units or excellent customer service.

I must also add that I've installed about 3 Tortoise units too off separate decoders in the same manner and I don't really notice any difference between either manufacturer.

Just a quick question about your experience of the motors for frog switching any issues as I am about to take delivery of my ECoS and wanted to use these point motors. Thanks Duncan

Just a quick question about your experience of the motors for frog switching any issues as I am about to take delivery of my ECoS and wanted to use these point motors. Thanks Duncan

Hello Duncan,

All my installations have been made using the Tam Valley Frog Juicers ( not to everybody's taste - the Marmite factor ! ) and I haven't wired them through the allotted spring terminals.

My main reason for doing it that way is purely because I have made a "test" layout ( not permanent ) to try out various methods and find which I enjoy and for ease of use when I start a proper layout. Others may poo-poo the use of the Frog Juicers and its is to everyone's choice, but I've found this to be very reliable and user friendly.

There are three Tortoise machines which have been wired into the same track with direct wiring for the frogs and they too work fine. The track is Pecaboo Code 75 with electrofrogs and I have modified everyone by taking out the springs and wiring the stock rails as per Peco' s instruction sheet.

Hope this is of some help, any further questions please ask and I will try and help if I can.

Grahame

Hi Grahame that's so strange because I have looked at having the juicers on my layout as I have two double slips and twelve other points so that's what I shall use their instructions say that you don't even have to modify the points I shall test that claim (no point in doing extra work) I am modelling in O gauge my eyesight is not great and I find that scale a lot easier to handle but I my need help with the ECoS until I get the hang of it. I am just waiting for my baseboards to be built. Thanks for your prompt reply to my question. Duncan

Hi Grahame that's so strange because I have looked at having the juicers on my layout as I have two double slips and twelve other points so that's what I shall use their instructions say that you don't even have to modify the points I shall test that claim (no point in doing extra work) I am modelling in O gauge my eyesight is not great and I find that scale a lot easier to handle but I my need help with the ECoS until I get the hang of it. I am just waiting for my baseboards to be built. Thanks for your prompt reply to my question. Duncan

Hello Duncan,

Agreed that the instructions do point out that there isn't a need to alter the turnouts, it was just a personal preference to be honest.

Somewhere within this RMWeb parish other discussions have be carried out by other members regarding this and I've seen them stating they haven't done anything other than use the turnouts straight out of the box with success.

This may not answer your question in a definitive manner, I'm sorry however, when you carry out the wiring I'm sure you will test prior to operation.

I hope you solve the question you have posed or maybe ask Messrs Peco who are a very friendly and helpful bunch.

Cheers for now,

Grahame

regards

mike g

I am a bit confused by this .....

This is the detail from the DCC Concepts info page for the Cbalt-ip digital -

"Whatever voltage or power source you choose, it’s OK! Cobalt-iP Digital has a really wide-ranging safe Power input – Whether you model Z, N, TT, OO/HO, O, G or anything in between, Cobalt-iP Digital is always happy. Acceptable power bus voltage range is 7~23v, AC, DC or DCC!"

Why do you need the resistor?

• RMweb Premium

"Why do you need the resistor?"  I think you only need the resistor on the larger gauges like "O" and above because of the higher voltage used.

More to the point if it's necessary why isn't it included inside on the board? ;)

The original Cobalt Digital needed a resistor to protect it from high DCC/DC voltages. {1}

The later Digital IP doesn't need a resistor.

[1]Most DCC systems have the ability to set the track voltage but most users do not alter the "out of the box" setting. (I haven't altered my Lenz 100 - or three other Lenz 100 systems that I've helped install - yet) Other high transient voltages can be caused by poor power supply regulation, such as those with AC transformer supplies that may not be regulated as well as a good DC power supply.

There is some useful information on the evolution of the Cobalt motor here

Cheers,

Mick

I had initial problems getting my two Cobalt-Ip's to program, at first wrongly using the programming facility on JMRI Decoder Pro, but I was enlightened by PaulRhb as to how to program them using the set function but remembering to Switch off the power between using the SET and putting it back to Normal, however they programmed nicely and now I can operated them either from clicking on the diagram on my lap top in Panel Pro or from my mobile phone using Engine Driver.

Pete

• 1 month later...

Hi, Can someone please explain to me how to program/assign a DCC number to Cobalt IP Digital point motor.

I am using a sprog III and am using Decoder Pro. All is Brand New, but I must be missing something.

I am putting the motor into learn/set mode, then going to Turnout Control, and then use address 100. click Thrown, the close it and repeat with the Turnout control again using address 100 and thrown. Setting the motor to run, then close decoder pro, unplug the USB Lead from the computer and then unpower the repower the SPROG III.

But nothing happens ?

What am I doing wrong, there must be a simple step that I missing out, this does seem long winded to set an address for a point motor when using SPROG III. 

This is my first attempt into model railway and I am thinking that I should of saved a bit more money as it seems so simple when watching videos of people that have NCE PowerCabs etc.

Many thanks

Matt

• RMweb Gold

You don't program like a loco, you put it to program mode using the set switch.

Then operate it as though you were actually changing the point

Then take out of set mode ;)

Here's the process using the NCE

One thing that did rear it's head in programming the Cobalt ip motors was that the instructions are a little vague on the programming saying follow the instructions for your system to set the address,

http://www.dccconcep...al-point-motors

What would have been helpful was it saying put the switch to set and then use the address as though you were going to change the point and it will learn it when you select it.

NCE - to program cobaltip address

(1st to deactivate auto centre using 198)

Connect dcc input

Put switch to SET

SELECT ACCY - 198 - ENTER - 1

SELECT ACCY - 198 - ENTER - 1

Disconnect dcc input

Put switch to NORMAL

Connect dcc input

Put switch to SET

SELECT ACCY - ADDRESS NO. - ENTER - 1

SELECT ACCY - ADDRESS NO. - ENTER - 1

Disconnect dcc input

Put switch to NORMAL

Connect dcc input

Hi, Can someone please explain to me how to program/assign a DCC number to Cobalt IP Digital point motor.

I am using a sprog III and am using Decoder Pro. All is Brand New, but I must be missing something.

I am putting the motor into learn/set mode, then going to Turnout Control, and then use address 100. click Thrown, the close it and repeat with the Turnout control again using address 100 and thrown. Setting the motor to run, then close decoder pro, unplug the USB Lead from the computer and then unpower the repower the SPROG III.

But nothing happens ?

What am I doing wrong, there must be a simple step that I missing out, this does seem long winded to set an address for a point motor when using SPROG III.

This is my first attempt into model railway and I am thinking that I should of saved a bit more money as it seems so simple when watching videos of people that have NCE PowerCabs etc.

Many thanks

Matt

What do expect to happen, you have not told us what you do after repowering the Sprog. At this point you still have the usb unplugged and decoder pro closed?

Hi 

Sorry, I have not made that very clear, I after I set the Motor back to the run position, I power cycled the SPROG III from the mains and also reconnected the USB cable and restarted Decoder Pro, but still nothing happens. No motor movement at all.

Am I using the correct place to assign a DCC address to the motor?

Many thanks

Matt

Hi Paul,

If I had a NCE Power Cab system it would be very straight forward, but the SPROG III with Decoder Pro is a different kettle of fish.

There is nowhere I can find where you can program accessories like the Cobalt IP Digital.

There must be a easy way to do this.

I have carried out as instructed to do, but nothings happening. The New motors do not come with self centering switched on, but even trying that doesnt work and that does not require a DCC address, as a CV is already programmed into the Point Motor.

Thanks

Matt.

Archived