Modelu Figures & Component News

alanbuttler

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Modelu Chris said:

MODELLER OF THE MONTH

DARREN SHERWOOD-JONES

image.png.f8bbaf6069df51dd6c8ad37fba7934e5.png

Modeller of the Month also returns, and as usual it has been a hard choice to pick a winner from all the superb images that are shared with us.   Darren wins a £25 Modelu Gift Voucher for sharing this superb shot of his 1/32nd trawler featuring one of our new fishermen figures.  Darren's modelling interests are wide and varied, including model ships, armour, aviation, US N Gauge, and UK O Gauge.

To enter for next months Modeller of the Month, just share a photo of your work with a Modelu product online, or email us a photo. Good luck!

NEXT MONTH

image.png.f88cdabb8dd8e2933170199b7bc3f6c8.png

We've much more to come in October, with September realistically being our last oppourtunity to develop new products before the busy period sets in.

We'll be working on our new Winter 2022/23 Catalogue, our second release of US figures, and a few other specials thanks to spending a morning at STEAM museum!

Oh no, if you're doing Great Western figures won't they all look the same?!!

Mike.

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 6

• 1 month later...

I have a new newsletter to share with you From Alan, please see below:

Welcome to the slightly delayed Modelu newsletter!  After our wedding in September we jetted off to Greece our honeymoon and a week of sun, and now we are back and ready to get stuck back in.

This month sees our second release of North American figures, featuring poses suitable for the 1970s/80s, prior to hi-vis becoming the norm.

Thanks to Ben Jones at Heljan, we also have two brand new crew packs for their stunning new Class 45. 

We've lots of other projects in the pipeline coming to fruition in November, so keep your eyes peeled for new announcements via our social media.

image.png.81da1a7260eb9e13e89a365d8e399fbf.png

Our next exhibition is in just over a months time! Come along to Warley at the NEC and see us on stand B108.  We'll be sharing our stand with the talented Dan Evason of Tunnel Lane Model Railways, who will be offering tips and advice as well as figure painting demonstrations.  Nick Willcox will joining us from the Severn Valley Railway and manning the costume wardrobe.  So if you've always wanted to appear on your own layout, come along to the stand and get yourself scanned!

image.png.c2a2702e26361e395749ddb21f6fa629.png

At Modelu we continue to strive to bring you the best quality products possible, either by improving our 3D scanning and editing techiques, upgrading our 3D printers or selecting new resins.  We are very pleased to announce that all new products from N gauge to O gauge will now be produced in our brand new 8K resin. 

This matt grey resin offers exceptional levels of detail compared to our previous resins, with improved surface finish, easier support removal, and sharper definition to make the figures easier to paint.

These improvements and innovations come at a cost, be it in development or hardware.  As a sign of our gratitude for your custom, we are committing to freeze our prices until the new 2023 financial year.

image.png.5761c45e57ec4038aa887f23e2fe05aa.png

We've added a new category to the website to make it easier to find our growing selection of bespoke crews designed in collaboration with locomotive manufacturers.   We'll be adding to this new section monthly as we continue to expand our range of bespoke crews. 

image.png.4c1be8205a5e2a20355de8638f3fdadc.png

With the recent launch of Heljan's brand new OO gauge Class 45, we're very grateful to have received an EP to allow us to design bespoke crews.  With that open window we couldn't resist modelling the driver leaning out with his elbow on the window.

Two versions are now available, featuring driver and second man for British Railways era 5 and BR Corporate eras 6/7. ⁠ The second men are depicted reading a news paper and having a nap!  It is also worth noting that as these crews are completely legless, they will likely fit a wide range of other diesels and electrics.

image.png.e6a64f7d792cbb295a50baff4de9f5d9.png

image.png.517e0d6979d345bca98915fd5b1108f9.png

Following on from our highly popular 

Deltic crew packs produced exclusively for Accurascale, our third full-colour 3D printed release will soon be available.  These feature three of the Accurascale Research Team, posed on site measuring up and recording details of their next product.  Look out for details on the Accurascale website for availability!

image.png.04a592411c2aaf9f3ed63f26186a24e6.png

We are excited to announce a new collaboration with 'Craftsman Kit' manufacturer 

Keep it Rusty.  Craftsman Kits are highly detailed short-run diorama kits, featuring multi-media components utilising laser cutting, 3d printing, cast detail parts and archectural plastic components.   We've been tasked to produce bespoke figures for their forthcoming Oddmunns Feed mill.  These new figures depict mill workers moving and loading sacks, repairing, or taking a break.  Look out for these figures an more being added to the Modelu range later this year.

• Like 9
  • Round of applause 1

image.png.996651e03c46d4c39725252cb0f2436c.png

Thanks to the curators of STEAM museum, we were able to 3D scan the superb mannequin of Isambard Kingdom Brunel.   This iconic pose is now part of our range and is available in all scales from N up to 1:12th - as shown here expertly painted by Dan Evason of 

Tunnel Lane Model Railways.

image.png.5249af054c54dba378bbfa2803137128.png

We've expanded our new range of North American figures to include poses suitable for the 1970s and 1980s, before hi-vis became standard.  These poses include conductors, brakemen, engineers, and other crew poses, dressed in tshirts and polo shirts.   We've also featured some actions such as 'hooping up train orders', with an operator with train order hoop, or conductors reviewing the train order sheet.  Thanks to Gerry Schaefer for feedback and suggestions on how we could improve the range.

image.png.0ab9489f48354a2a3b52b3ce37a9af6f.png

Neil offers a loco and rolling stock weathering service in 7mm scale as well as bespoke scenery making across all scales from desk top dioramas up to the scenic aspects of a whole layout.  You can see more of his work on his website http://www.neilpodberyfineart.co.uk

image.png.1171964fce746b4f49f5b98c5d797635.png

Congratulations to Tom Foster who has won our September Modeller of the Month with this incredible photo-realistic shot from his Mid Sodor themed OO9 layout. Tom's work goes far beyond railway modelling into the realms visual story telling, with scenes such as this adding such depth to the world he is creating. Amazing work Tom, can't wait to see how the layout progresses.

• Like 10
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1

image.png.45a1e5be76d6349ed24003730b5a5409.png

Next month we'll have a bumper new release of figures suitable for Narrow Gauge and Industrial layouts. 

These will include gravity train figures, slate workers, and loco crew for narrow gauge locos such as the Small England and L&B Manning Wardle, along with standard gauge locos such as the Class 14 Teddy Bear and 0-6-0 Sentinel.  

Keep your eyes peeled on our social media for progress updates!

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold

Here’s the Modelu Early Peak crew in their natural environment. 

187C387E-15F3-4FD5-AFE4-93146786F08F.jpeg.f29af0b2aefd404b63c54c94f1b337bc.jpeg

Saltley men, Second man Sid reckons he’d better mug up on the rules - he has a drivers exam next week but has been down the pub every night so far…. Meanwhile Driver Dave wonders if they will get back for the Villa game tonight, this turn always over-runs. 

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

It's always fascinating to see what developments are in the pipeline, and I'm very much looking forward to seeing what will be in the narrow gauge range.

I notice that old IKB is in the 'famous faces' category on the website, one wonders who else may appear in such a range, I've got a few thoughts on who I'd like to see, but whether they are viable is a completely different matter! 

One day may even find time to get some paint on the backlog of figures I've got!

Cheers

J

• Like 1

5 hours ago, JaymzHatstand said:

It's always fascinating to see what developments are in the pipeline, and I'm very much looking forward to seeing what will be in the narrow gauge range.

I notice that old IKB is in the 'famous faces' category on the website, one wonders who else may appear in such a range, I've got a few thoughts on who I'd like to see, but whether they are viable is a completely different matter! 

One day may even find time to get some paint on the backlog of figures I've got!

Cheers

J

Scans were done last week and we are very happy with the results. We will share hem before long. 

We are always open to suggestions, so feel free to contact us if there is anyone you would like to see and we can check how viable it is. 

• Like 1

On 21/10/2022 at 12:03, Phil Bullock said:

Here’s the Modelu Early Peak crew in their natural environment. 

187C387E-15F3-4FD5-AFE4-93146786F08F.jpeg.f29af0b2aefd404b63c54c94f1b337bc.jpeg

Saltley men, Second man Sid reckons he’d better mug up on the rules - he has a drivers exam next week but has been down the pub every night so far…. Meanwhile Driver Dave wonders if they will get back for the Villa game tonight, this turn always over-runs. 

Thank you for sharing this with us. I hope your driver was happy with the Villa score on the weekend!

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Modelu Chris said:

Thank you for sharing this with us. I hope your driver was happy with the Villa score on the weekend!

Far happier than Mr Baggies fan here….

• Funny 2

On 25/10/2022 at 10:07, Modelu Chris said:

We are always open to suggestions, so feel free to contact us if there is anyone you would like to see and we can check how viable it is. 

Thanks for that, and well done on another bumper selection of new figures for this month! I can sense that a number of the 009 crews will be joining my staff in due course!  I still need to add some of the fishermen to my dockside layout too, but finding the time is always the killer!

As for the 'famous faces' I was still thinking in a railway sphere with such noteworthy persons as George Stephenson (though how possible it would be to model one to ride on the Hornby Rocket, I'm not sure!) And maybe the 'Big Four' men, Gresley (with duck!), Stanier, Bullied and Collette. I'm sure there are many more, and some would be easier than others, but as you say the viability would need to be there.

Cheers

J

• Like 1

I've just seen that the Rev Awdry is now available as well, he was going to be another suggestion of mine, I wonder if Rev Teddy Boston would also be possible, after they were both of course immortalised in the book 'Duke the Lost Engine', as the Thin and Fat Clergymen respectively!

It would be interesting to know what is required to create figures of people no longer with us, and what sort of variables are taken into account before work begins on them. Presumably the likelihood of sales is a key factor and I'm certainly not asking for any trade sensitive information!

Just waiting for payday before placing an order or two!

Cheers

J

• Like 4

On 04/11/2022 at 17:51, Asterix2012 said:

A film crew and some actors from different eras might make for some nice cameos 

@Asterix2012 - Aha! That's a great idea.

With a Jon Pertwee, you could produce two different versions - CPO Pertwee (tut, tut, up to no good again) and Dr Who (saving a train from disaster?).

Plus Ronnie Barker as Fatso Johnson and/or Norman Stanley Fletcher and/or Albert Arkwright.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hope this is the right place to ask, and apologies if its been asked before and I have missed it, but what kind/brand of paints do people/ModelU suggest for painting these 3D figures?

Rich

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Mikkel said:

I use Vallejo Modelcolor acrylics, which I find work very well (on the recent material at least).

As mentioned on the Modelu site you don't need primer. I was quite sceptical about that, and tried rubbing off the paint but it does stick on very well, and without primer you avoid an extra layer of thickness. Here are some 4mm samples (cruel close-ups that reveal the 3D printing pattern, not evident at normal viewing distance).

Thanks Mikkel,

You've certainly done a superb job with those!  I'll hunt out Vallejo Modelcolor and see where I can acquire it locally.  I am guessing one will build up quite a range of colours quickly, given the various tones needed.

Rich

• Like 1

20 hours ago, MarshLane said:

Hope this is the right place to ask, and apologies if its been asked before and I have missed it, but what kind/brand of paints do people/ModelU suggest for painting these 3D figures?

Rich

Hi Rich

I use a variety of paints for my figures, mainly Vallejo, Lifecolor and Revell Aqua but also including Games Workshop, Tamiya, Army painter and even the new dropper bottle Humbrol, and yes after a while you do end up with a lot of paints!  If you can't get them locally then there are usually sets available online, even from Amazon.

Anthony

• Like 2