Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Dapol Class 22

DLPG

Well the number of Class 22s available has just dropped by one.

Needing some Smith's screw couplings I found that Kernow were charging a good price and then found myself adding a Class 22 to the order as well. Strictly speaking I haven't much spare cash at the moment but at least I'll have a few months to save up.

Quite looking forward to getting a new model now. :)

• 4 weeks later...

More on headcode boxes:

D6306 also had its boxes placed as high as they could go (resulting in the electrification flashes being placed underneath).

The photo is on the Rail Photoprints website at http://www.railphotoprints.co.uk

There is also a photo of D6324 in full green with boxes placed high - they could be the same type.

Previous posts have noted D6302, D6317 had "non standard" headcode boxes.

However, one loco was fitted with "Oddboxes"

I have come across these pictures of a D63XX at Callington:

http://www.brucehunt.co.uk/Class%2022.html.

I'd seen a poor quality version of the photo elsewhere once, and remembered the caption stated D6323. (possibly in a book on the Callington branch?) and thought that it was a headcode box-less loco with half yellow panel.

However, it is a real mutant! (perhaps it had worked the Devonport Dockyard trip freight and been irradiated during nuclear submarine refuelling!!)

It appears to have lost the lower, outer discs, kept the almost vertical small handrails.

Not acquired new handrals on mounting brackets, which appeared when boxes were fitted.

The "headcode" panels do not appear to have a hinge on top and just be flat plates. The dirt below them suggests the loco has been running in this condition for a while.

Could it be that a headcode box conversion kit had been dispatched to Laira, and only half fitted before the loco was sent back into traffic?

The position of the lamp brackets and the larger circles below the boxes [are they grilles over horns, or vents?] suggest that this is not D6323.

There are no oval features pannelled over (the bottom half of which can be seen under a headcode box of a loco built without boxes).

So I think it is actually one of the batch *built with* headcode boxes, which has acquired a set of doors with discs from 6300-33, but has had its boxes partly removed or plated over!

I can't recall the closure date of Gunnislake to Callington to help date the photo, but was probably 1966.

The position of the lamp brackets and the larger circles below the boxes [are they grilles over horns, or vents?] suggest that this is not D6323.

There are no oval features pannelled over (the bottom half of which can be seen under a headcode box of a loco built without boxes).

So I think it is actually one of the batch *built with* headcode boxes, which has acquired a set of doors with discs from 6300-33, but has had its boxes partly removed or plated over!

I can't recall the closure date of Gunnislake to Callington to help date the photo, but was probably 1966.

I believe passenger services to Callington finished on 28th Feb 1966, and freight on 7th November 1966.

cheers

The link should appear as

http://www.brucehunt...Class%2022.html

from Bruce Hunt's Tamar Valley website

Interesting link that, thankyou.

I've managed to find both pictures in print. The Callington view appears in 'Branches and Byways Cornwall' by John Vaughan in which you can make out the number as D6323.

The picture at Luckett is in 'LSWR West Country Lines Then and Now' by Mac Hawkins. In both instances the train is described as the 17.24 from Bere Alston on 7th September 1964. This was the first day of full diesel operation to Callington.

D6323 appears to have had a normal arrangement at the other end so I presume this results from accident damage. The discs presumably result from it having received a door off a loco that still had discs whilst the rest of the front end belongs to one of the later batch - but why are the headcode boxes blanked off or are the boxes in fact missing? D6322 also went on to receive a non standard front end following an accident although this had operational headcodes

Richard

More on cab fronts:

D6322 appear on the cover of Traction #90, April 2002

At the boiler end, it has a normal cab front for the 6314-32 series (no eyebrow vents), except for the feature in the bottom left corner.

This appears to be a square block similar to those fitted to 6334-57 for lamp bracket mounting.

On the right hand corner, 6322 has a square blanking plate with rounded corners, covering the hole where the lamp for the headcode disc was.

To the right of this is a vertical feature. To speculate this could be a small grab handle, or there may be a hole behind to form a crude vent.

On 6332 (non boiler end) the feature is absent from right hand corner - there is a horizontal panel join here so it's had a new corner fitted.

The curved strips under the inner ends of the headcode boxes - these may be stops (and clips) for the 2 piece nose doors.

Those horizontal handrails above the HCB's - moved from a vertical (or near vertical),position at build: the position varies with loco!

6322 and 6332 have them at the outside, whilst 6328 they are further in.

Is anyone aware of a photo of the other end of 6322?

D6323

Both photos are of a down train, and thus of the same cab; at Callington the buffer stops are behind the photographer.

On a 22 the headcode boxes do not protrude much, thus a hole must be cut in the front for the rollers and mechanism to fit in.

6323 must have had the holes made, then blanked over. I would think that it has kept it's single leaf doors and their fittings.

Laira Open Day 1970 - I was there (aged 2!). Does anyone know which 22's were present? (the leaflet states one was in road 6, the main overhaul shed)

Paul

Hi all

Had a stroke of luck today in finding the original BR working drawings that where used when they designed the Class 22, I have contacted Dapol about it and will pass a copy on to them.

So it looks like we will end up with a very detailed Class 22!biggrin.gif

Darren

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Good on you for doing that Darren, but I understood production wasn't far off now. Won't incorporating yet more new info delay it even further?

Probably a case of "Wait and see" but it was also my understanding that these locos are about to go into production with an anticipated shop arrival during the (UK) summer. A worthy contribution made nevertheless.

I know this is speculation (no, don't throw me out yet!) but I would guess Dapol have allowed for a good many of the known variations and will have various plugs for the moulds and separate add-on fittings for the smaller details, so it should be possible to incorporate the new information without too much difficulty. Also, it has been known for production locomotives to differ somewhat from the original drawings as production line modifications are put in effect.

As Rick said, we will have to wait and see but I think Dapol will choose theor subjects carefully, from the information they have released so far. B)

I think Dapol have been talking with Fred Phipps who did the gauge 1 class 22 kit. I spoke to him many years ago and he sent me some copies of his drawings, which are the actual North British engineering drawings and are fully dimensioned that he had tracked down, although they were not the complete set. The positions of grills etc on the body side had to be scaled from photographs. I also found some drawings from the North British collection at Glasgow University, which are only really any good as concept drawings. It is possible to create the wheels, body, roof, and cab windows and all the doors from the engineering drawings.

I think the drawings you have Darren are more like weight diagrams than actual detail drawings, based on the image you posted, which shows a tuck in at the lower bodyside more like a Western or Warship than a class 22.

Regards

Mark Humphrys

HI All

Here is a photo of part of the BR working drawings

• RMweb Gold

I think the drawings you have Darren are more like weight diagrams than actual detail drawings, based on the image you posted, which shows a tuck in at the lower bodyside more like a Western or Warship than a class 22.

Regards

Mark Humphrys

Easy way to tell if they are from the BR Diagram book as the three D63XX diagrams were numbered DH/2100/1, and /2, and /3 but the amount of detail shown is less than that shown in the pic posted by Darren which suggests to me that it is not from the Diagram Book but some other internal document.

That looks like educational material for the introduction of the new class, its certainly not a GA or anything.

There are many North British drawings in the NRM Swindon works loco collection but they aren't properly catalogued yet. The ones I came across were windscreen glass and the cardan shaft arrangements from those drawn at Swindon.

• RMweb Gold

That looks like educational material for the introduction of the new class, its certainly not a GA or anything.

There are many North British drawings in the NRM Swindon works loco collection but they aren't properly catalogued yet. The ones I came across were windscreen glass and the cardan shaft arrangements from those drawn at Swindon.

I had a chat with Darren yesterday about the appearance and source of the drawings and I'm fairly sure that they are exactly what Craig suspects them to be - no less valuable or potentially useful for that and clearly showing some distinctive features of the appearance of these locos so possibly a shame that they hadn't come to light earlier in the development of Dapol's loco?

• 2 weeks later...

I have spent the last few days sorting out my photos of the Class 22s so that I can work out which locomotives the Dapol model can represent. So far we know that if all models are going to be the same as the pre-production D6319, changes to boilers, vents, etc., mean the model must represent the D6313 to D6325 batch. I am now looking for headcode oddities within that group to give others which must be deleted from the list of candidates.

Geoff Endacott

I see what you mean. It's quite subtle and I hadn't looked that closely before.

That gives us just ten examples which can be done with the D6319 bodyshell. I wonder why Dapol didn't choose to represent the later batch which had headcode boxes from new. That would have given scope for more variations - unless they are to follow later.

Geoff Endacott