Dapol Class 22

DLPG

• RMweb Gold

Hear Hear - witness the guff being generated in the Olivias trains class 76 thread regarding one very tiny area (cab side windows) - it looks like a 76.............. yes it does :yes:

I think with any model it is a question of capturing the essence and atmosphere of what is being modelled and absolutely accurate adherence to every dimension might not necessarily do that. However it is amazing how easily - for many people - getting a few small errors in dimensions can mean a model fails to capture that essence while in other cases it can be captured despite errors. At the end of the day i think the situation comes down to the extent to which an individual finds his own aspirations and memories met by a particular model and by the extent to which the individual is prepared to accept it falling short of what is looked for. For many people even small errors in a particular place can spoil the look of a loco (e.g. some folk do not like the Heljan D10XX although others are happy to go along with it). The problem for the manufacturer comes when too many people aren't happy to accept what's on offer. And all our views can be subjective - I think that all the hard work put into the Dapol Class 22 has captured the appearance and spirit of the class very well but, in a different way, I think that despite its long catalogue of errors the Hornby Mag/Dapol Stove R has 'caught' the prototype.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Well said, Mike.

Something else to consider - Dapol said right from the beginning that the Class 22 would be a good runner, a new 'Super Creep' mechanism was mentioned... well, if the Sentinel is anything to go by, that's another promise that Dapol are going to come good on.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Hear Hear - witness the guff being generated in the Olivias trains class 76 thread regarding one very tiny area (cab side windows) - it looks like a 76.............. yes it does :yes:

The Hornby Dublo Deltic "looks" like a Deltic.

Oh, and also, the 76 isn't only wrong in one tiny area.

Edited by Enterprisingwestern

• RMweb Premium

Thank you Michael. There are some very good reference shots within that link for weathering and prototypical operation. Not least the one of D6324 (gsyp) showing that not all of the class appeared all the time with white water-spill staining down the sides which is how many of us might remember them. Compare with the later shot of D6343 at Exeter for example.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Jim

Doesn't that BSYP class 22 on the cover look delicious? Let's hope Dapol do one in that livery.

I have "Hymek sunset" in this series and it is excellent, and would predict this will be a very helpful piece of work for 22 aficionados

Neil

• RMweb Gold

If your interested theres a booklet about class 22s about to be published. Its not cheap, but going by other stuff that Western Legacy Publications have done, it will be worth if.

clicky poos

Cheers

Jim

Superb! Thanks for the link. Do you know if these publications are available from other booksellers, or only directly from the publishers?

Superb! Thanks for the link. Do you know if these publications are available from other booksellers, or only directly from the publishers?

I cannot be 100% sure, but as a rule with their other stuff, it will be through the publishers only. I can ask Adrian if you like.

• 1 month later...

Any news on when this will finally see the light of day. Since the original announcement, we seem to have been waiting longer than the prototypes were in service.

• Like 1

Two months ago, Dapol were telling me they thought it would be, "...in the shops in around 8 weeks time".

ncornwall60

I was told the same. But then again two years ago Dapol stated on this site

'everything is now back on track for a 2010 release.biggrin.gif'

Though I see from the Blyth show the boxes are printed up, definitely a positive sign.

I shall save my excitement until I actually have the parcel from Hattons in my hand.

Mike Wiltshire

I chaps,

i have been testing the chassis this last 2 weeks and the model now has over 200 hours on it.

We fitted it with A locsound 4 and a 4ohm DCC Supplies Speaker and sealed enclosure to check out the volume of sound available. i had the decoder blown with a class 20 just to see what the bass and treble were like.

Well the factory came to a standstill as the volume was very high without distortion. Very cool.

So, apart from the red rear light one end being a little dim, its been cleared for production. :locomotive:

1 thing we have done is get the valances numbered so that when you fit them you can fit them in the correct order.

First deco samples of both ours and Kernows versions should be about 3 weeks away so i'll keep you posted.

cheers

Dave

• Like 17