Pig Lane BR Western Region

Clive Mortimore

• RMweb Premium

I await more expert advice, but I believe Oxford Regent 3's had all gone by the early 70's at the latest, if not the late 60's. I remember photting a Norfolks of Nayland one in the early to mid 70's, and they had been operating it a few years then.

Mike.

Hi Mike

I agree the Regent III would have not been in service in 1970 but sure the Regent V would have been. I remember seeing them in Bedford bus station on a joint United Counties and City of Oxford service between the two. I will double check with my brother who is a bus spotter. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Clive, what did you use for the “Duck skewers”, aka point operating rods?

Tim T

Modelling Cwm Cynon in EM

Hi Tim

I had at some point in time had visions of making my own track, so I have a small stock of code 75 Bullyboy track. A length of that going through a hole each side the the base board. A small hole drilled in the appropriate place under the point. A L shaped bit of brass rod through the hole and the hole in the tie bar, all held together with some solder. 

If the survive the exhibition I will photo graph them. If not can someone give me some help.

• RMweb Premium

Being bored with the telewobblevision last night I watched a YOOT YOOB vid ( see below ) and was surprised to see reference at about 1.25'ish mins to a certain OHLE Diagram

Was this teknikul sheet your work Mr.M ?

Hi Grahame

Yeah, and ain't he done a good job. :good:

• Like 2

Hi Grahame

Yeah, and ain't he done a good job. :good:

Hi Clive,

And from what I could see of the drawing so did you !

His layout is quite something and worth a look, especially his dedication to details such as the OHLE's.

G

• RMweb Premium

Hi Clive,

And from what I could see of the drawing so did you !

His layout is quite something and worth a look, especially his dedication to details such as the OHLE's.

G

Hi Grahame

I have done about 700 OLE drawings and have a few thousand BR ones as reference from a screw to the wires above platforms 1 to 10 in Liverpool Street.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Summary of Pig Lane's performance at the Retford show.

A few of the point actuators were too long or was it the Heljan 47s belly tanks too low?

A couple of points not making 100% electrical contact every time.

One 08 shunter threw an outside crank.

The bogcart suffered dirty wheels by the end of the show.

Half a buffer stop went missing en-route to Retford.

Few operator errors.

Brake van steps and 08 outside rods were fouled by the oil off loading pipes in the tank wagon siding.

Card system worked well and Mr Duck explaining it to the punters was excellent.

Otherwise the layout and locos performed very very well.

A good weekend.

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Another thing that worked really well over the weekend was the use of 4 liter really useful boxes. The loco boxes had 4 long locos and a short in each of them. On arrival the foam packing was removed the locos left in their box. The open boxes left on top of stock table. If loco was required on the layout it was taken out the box, on coming off shed it was replaced back in its box. At the end of the show all locos were already in their boxes, the packing was replaced and they were ready for travelling home. This saved a lot of time setting up and packing away. Plus I only had a small amount of packing and three box lids to hide under the layout not tons of loco boxes.

• Like 4

Another thing that worked really well over the weekend was the use of 4 liter really useful boxes. The loco boxes had 4 long locos and a short in each of them. On arrival the foam packing was removed the locos left in their box. The open boxes left on top of stock table. If loco was required on the layout it was taken out the box, on coming off shed it was replaced back in its box. At the end of the show all locos were already in their boxes, the packing was replaced and they were ready for travelling home. This saved a lot of time setting up and packing away. Plus I only had a small amount of packing and three box lids to hide under the layout not tons of loco boxes.

Now where did you learn that trick?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Another thing that worked really well over the weekend was the use of 4 liter really useful boxes. The loco boxes had 4 long locos and a short in each of them.

I’ve been looking at using those boxes for exactly that. Could you post a photo showing how you arrange the foam etc.

Do you need to use any particular type of foam to avoid sticking to paintwork etc?

Thanks, Paul.

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

I’ve been looking at using those boxes for exactly that. Could you post a photo showing how you arrange the foam etc.

Do you need to use any particular type of foam to avoid sticking to paintwork etc?

Thanks, Paul.

Hi Paul

Sorry for the delay. The foam is the packing foam from Heljan and Dapol loco boxes. I cut the wide strips in half length ways so if I put the models back in their boxes I can use the original foam, all be it in two not one piece.

post-16423-0-31882900-1546163229_thumb.jpg

I didn't give sticking a thought, so maybe I need to wrap the locos in paper kitchen towel as well.

Hi Paul

Sorry for the delay. The foam is the packing foam from Heljan and Dapol loco boxes. I cut the wide strips in half length ways so if I put the models back in their boxes I can use the original foam, all be it in two not one piece.

attachicon.gif100_5493.JPG

I didn't give sticking a thought, so maybe I need to wrap the locos in paper kitchen towel as well.

Hi Clive,

You might want to consider using a bleach free paper towel too just as a further precaution  ?

G

• RMweb Premium

Hi Clive,

You might want to consider using a bleach free paper towel too just as a further precaution  ?

G

Hi Grahame

Thanks, I have never considered that. I have some locos wrapped in kitchen towel which dates back to the 1990s and not noticed any problems. Perhaps I should have a good look at them.

Anyhow here are some photos from last night.

post-16423-0-55909800-1546190622_thumb.jpg

post-16423-0-91854600-1546190634_thumb.jpg

post-16423-0-12824800-1546190648_thumb.jpg

post-16423-0-95209500-1546190658_thumb.jpg

post-16423-0-00485500-1546190685_thumb.jpg

post-16423-0-15525700-1546190696_thumb.jpg

post-16423-0-70479000-1546190718_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

Hi Grahame

Thanks, I have never considered that. I have some locos wrapped in kitchen towel which dates back to the 1990s and not noticed any problems. Perhaps I should have a good look at them.

Anyhow here are some photos from last night.

attachicon.gif100_5466.JPG

attachicon.gif100_5457.JPG

attachicon.gif100_5451.JPG

attachicon.gif100_5491.JPG

attachicon.gif100_5488.JPG

attachicon.gif100_5481.JPG

attachicon.gif100_5474.JPG

I wish you WOULDN'T DO this Mr M, you've started the cogs wearing again, hahaha :nono:  :nono:  :nono:  :scared:

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Dug the little Pig out tonight, gotta make sure it works before its big weekend in Ally Pally. While setting it up in the toy room I had two trains whizzing around on Sheffield Exchange.....how good is that? 

All looks in place. Now to see if it works, still. 

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Locos all tested. I swapped an 08 for another one as it was making squeaking noises. Something to investigate at my leisure. 

Layout tested. Two points needed some unexpected work on them but seem OK now. The one that normally plays up was also tweaked and that appears to be alright. I tested it with a Fairburn class 4 tank , didn't 'alf look odd.

Badges, info sheets, etc printed. New fold up barrow purchased, hopefully layout and stock can be transported on it in one hit.

Arrangements made with my two helpers over the weekend. Andy from the Witham Club on Saturday and Bungus The Fogeyma on Sunday.

Just need to pack the layout, and load the car.

Then Ally Pally here I come.

• Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

All packed, and all fits on the barrow, so no going backwards and the other way to the car unloading or loading.  Especially this weekend, exhibitors have just had an e-mail stating the goods lift is out of order.  Plan for Sunday, out which ever door is convenient, meander to car park and wave bye bye. 

• Like 6

9 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

All packed, and all fits on the barrow, so no going backwards and the other way to the car unloading or loading.  Especially this weekend, exhibitors have just had an e-mail stating the goods lift is out of order.  Plan for Sunday, out which ever door is convenient, meander to car park and wave bye bye. 

9 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Best we ever had was with West Shed, (just one board) and despite 4 Loco on Shed at closing time, we pulled out of the Car Park just 10 minutes later.

With Glen Roy, one main board and one Fiddle Yard board, we could be gone in about 20 minutes.

I can think of nothing worse that having spent two and a half long days attending an Exhibition, than spending another two hours putting stock away and dismantling a Monster.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2