RMweb

Hornby announce the ex SECR / SR / BR(s) Wainwright H Class 0-4-4 tank as part of their 2017 range

Graham_Muz

• RMweb Premium

Not necessarily John

Standard sailing time China to West coast Europe is around 30-35 days.  Depending on routing, there may be transhipment (probably Antwerp) to add 2-3 days.  Customs clearance is negligible unless there is a "problem" with the container.

I think we can say that if it is not being shipped, then it must be at an advanced state  of production/packing.

I think that Rails have only increased the price of the Hornby R3538 SECR H class. They gave me the option of either cancelling my order for £89.50 or accepting the new price of £97.50. This is still a substantial saving on Hornby's price of £119.99 and both Hornby and Hattons have sold out on pre-orders. I have also ordered a Southern one and Rails have not contacted me about that.

It is not a 'must have' model for me as I am modelling the Swanage Railway and an H class has almost certainly not run there yet.

I used to live in Kent and H class locomotives were often seen there so I have accepted the new price. The high demand for a pre-grouping model is encouraging.

• RMweb Gold

Hmm, I thought that Hornby were honouring pre-order prices ?

That’s a bit naughty to creep up the price on pre-orders.

I ordered mine from the Hornby website, with the collectors club 10% discount, and usually save a year on price rises too as the order price is honoured.

However with the demise of the discount and the dishonouring of prices by retailers, there’s little point preordering at all now, loyalty does after all work both ways.

Edited by adb968008

• RMweb Premium

That’s a bit naughty to creep up the price on pre-orders.

I ordered mine from the Hornby website, with the collectors club 10% discount, and usually save a year on price rises too as the order price is honoured.

However with the demise of the discount and the dishonouring of prices by retailers, there’s little point preordering at all now, loyalty does after all work both ways.

Increasingly he point of pre-ordering is NOT to guarantee prices - but rather to ensure that you obtain one in the first place!. With the SECR H class proving to be just as much of a hit with buyers as Bachmann's 592 was the simple truth is likely to be no-pre order = no loco, whatever price it eventually retails at.

It should also be noted that as you cannot be charged by the retailer until delivery is immanent under distance selling regulations (note that Kernow are having to get specific permission from each individual to take the monies early) keeping a close eye on updates on the likes of RM-Web still usually gives plenty of time to cancel the order with the retailer before they start charging you should you change your mind

• RMweb Gold

Increasingly he point of pre-ordering is NOT to guarantee prices - but rather to ensure that you obtain one in the first place!. With the SECR H class proving to be just as much of a hit with buyers as Bachmann's 592 was the simple truth is likely to be no-pre order = no loco, whatever price it eventually retails at.

Might work with the H, but not with most other stuff in the range... i’m not scared of holding back on not ordering a 4mt, terrier, j94 etc etc etc.. not even sure it will hold water with the Peckett, especially if another rtr industrial was to suddenly rock up next to the Barclay and Peckett.

Perhaps we should start a list of models that actually sold out during the pre-order period to prove this wrong.

In most cases when the model arrived plenty more were discovered to be available and the lists re-opened. Indeed I think sometimes the "sold out" sign is simply a sales strategy in itself. In any case in nearly every instance supplies have been available on eBay long after the main suppliers including the manufacturer have sold out.

I can think of only a tiny handful of models which genuinely disappeared never to be seen again and mostly these were limited editions or totally new intricate liveries like the C class SECR. Note with the P class there are two almost identical SECR models which should more than fill demand - even if/when dealers "claim" a pre-order sell-out.

Edited by Forester

• RMweb Gold

They are - I've checked with the Hornby office who said that as usual, everything ordered pre-October 6th is at the old prices, and I can confirm that when the Class 67's and first Royal Scots arrived yesterday they were invoiced at the old prices. Therefore as we placed our bulk 2017 range order back in January, they will be staying at the old price until new stock has to be ordered (which has just happened with the aforementioned Class 67).

To keep things on topic, it won't happen with the H as we can't order more now, they all sold out a few months back so all of them will be invoiced at the old prices when they arrive. :)

Edited by Derails Models
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Perhaps we should start a list of models that actually sold out during the pre-order period to prove this wrong.

In most cases when the model arrived plenty more were discovered to be available and the lists re-opened. Indeed I think sometimes the "sold out" sign is simply a sales strategy in itself. In any case in nearly every instance supplies have been available on eBay long after the main suppliers including the manufacturer have sold out.

I can think of only a tiny handful of models which genuinely disappeared never to be seen again and mostly these were limited editions or totally new intricate liveries like the C class SECR. Note with the P class there are two almost identical SECR models which should more than fill demand - even if/when dealers "claim" a pre-order sell-out.

A few weeks ago,I would have agreed with you...somehow or other,the goodies always eventually turned up on ebay.Now,the flood from such vendors has slowed to a trickle as Hornby inevitably tightens its grip on manufacturing orders from China.I think your observations on (most ) retailers are unfair.Quite a few who post on this forum complain of lack of information from Hornby and the occasional high handed treatment.Most retailers work hard to earn their daily bread.They deserve our support.

The Hornby Maunsell pull-push sets did sell out on pre-order. My original strategy was to get a notification from Hattons when a model arrived and then buy it from the Swanage station shop. Unfortunately Hornby never supplied the coaches to the station shop and Hattons was unable to supply all the models that have been pre-ordered. These were 'must have' items for me and I had to wait about two years before I got one. Since then I have pre-ordered items and the shop has usually honoured the pre-order price except in the Hattons Bachmann pre-order saga. Now there is a plentiful supply of Hornby Maunsell pull-push sets and some are now Hattons bargains.

I don't think that Hornby have produced the most popular versions of the H class yet. What I would like are the SECR version as preserved on the Bluebell line and the British Railways cycling lion version as I remember them. It is possible that they will produce them in future. It is probably best to wait but with a delivery of the Bachmann birdcage coaches in SECR livery due shortly I succumbed to the temptation of accepting Rails' price increase to get a suitable locomotive to pull them in a reasonable time. It now looks like Hornby has honoured its pre-order prices and it is the retailer that has not. In future I will look at a retailer's past performance before ordering at the cheapest price. 

• RMweb Gold

Are you able to post a direct link? I don't think you can select a page of a thread in the mobile version of the site? Scrolling through 315 pages make take a while... :P

It might indeed. But I did say it had just been posted......

And tapping and holding ‘page x of x’ brings up a ‘jump to page y’ on my iPad.

Edited by Oldddudders

• RMweb Premium

In the Hornby Stand cabinet at Peterborough on Saturday:

post-6910-0-31740700-1508058856_thumb.jpg

post-6910-0-19562500-1508058860_thumb.jpg

Apologies for the quality, pics on a phone through glass with a overly bright spot lamp illuminating the scene to boot.

One thing that struck was the size of the box, small compared with the Titanic length leviathan of a box the M7 used to come in which was more box than loco....

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Thanks very much for the photos, the SECR version looks lovely, I had been dithering about whether I should cancel my preorder -- am I ever really likely to get around to model an appropriate layout when I can't even get around to working on my LMS Midlands layout!!?? -- but seeing these pictures convinces me to keep the loco on order! :-)

Perhaps I'll need to find a way of accommodating a small layout of a south-eastern branchline terminus set in the 1900s for this and the Bachmann birdcages and Hatton's P I also have on preorder! I can't help myself when it comes to bright and shiny things ...

All the best,

Keith

• Like 1

Sorry, can someone explain why 263 was scrubbed from the production. From what I can see of the bunker and other details on the SECR livery, 263 would have been fine for the details modelled.

I don’t think Hornby ever announced 263, although that was what was examined and measured at the Bluebell. So, not scrubbed. Perhaps Hornby intends to use it later to re-ignite excitement in future production.

• RMweb Premium

There is the sillouette of a H Class on the blurb for the exclusive model that is heralding the relaunch of the Hornby Collectors Club, to paraphrase the words of Paddy Ashdown, if that isn't the Bluebell's SECR 263 then I will eat my hat...

• Like 1