Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Christmas Is Coming?

The Stationmaster

... the Old Stationmaster's Almanac is predicting that 2017 will be a bumper year for r-t-r releases, some long awaited and some coming as surprises having crept up quietly on the outside, and no doubt some as yet unannounced.

There is certainly a lot of "backlog". 

Things I am following with interest, some of which are pre-ordered:

Hattons/DJM 14xx and King

Kernow/DJM 1361, Steam Railmotor, LSWR push-pull gate stock, LSWR road van 

Bachmann SECR Birdcage stock, 94xx, S&DJR 7F (reissue)

Heljan 47xx, L&B Manning-Wardle

Hornby Merchant Navy, Peckett 0-4-0ST

Dapol GWR railcar, LSWR Adams B4 class

EDIT: Locomotion/RapidoTrains GNR Stirling Single

EDIT: Oxford Rail Dean Goods

Other items of some interest that might tempt me:

Bachmann LBSCR Brighton Atlantic, steam crane, 009 Baldwin

Hornby SECR Wainwright H class

Heljan 1361, 1366

DJM Hudswell-Clark 0-6-0

From a pure cost standpoint that list is scarily long already.  It is a fraction of what has been announced but has not yet appeared. Doubtless some of them will appear in 2017 and, as you say, there will be more announcements to come.

Stationmaster

Does your extensive collection of WTT, sectional appendicitisese etc yield any clue as the GWR bell-code for an immense Christmas pudding? And, is there differentiation between puddings passing straight through, and those stopping in section?

K

Wouldn't the code be

Ding ding merrily on high

There is certainly a lot of "backlog". 

Things I am following with interest, some of which are pre-ordered:

Hattons/DJM 14xx and King

Kernow/DJM 1361, Steam Railmotor, LSWR push-pull gate stock, LSWR road van 

Bachmann SECR Birdcage stock, 94xx, S&DJR 7F (reissue)

Heljan 47xx, L&B Manning-Wardle

Hornby Merchant Navy

Dapol GWR railcar, LSWR Adams B4 class

EDIT: RapidoTrains GNR Stirling Single

Other items of some interest that might tempt me:

Bachmann LBSCR Brighton Atlantic, steam crane, 009 Baldwin

Hornby SECR Wainwright H class

Heljan 1361, 1366

DJM Hudswell-Clark 0-6-0

From a pure cost standpoint that list is scarily long already.  It is a fraction of what has been announced but has not yet appeared. Doubtless some of them will appear in 2017 and, as you say, there will be more announcements to come.

I like that list. Only one item that's currently any use to me, and as far as I'm aware the Railmotor is still a long way off. So plenty of time to improve my skills for a fiddly EM conversion, or to have moved on so I don't need it!

...But now a prediction for 2017 and a suggestion for those who like to spend their hard earned pennies on r-t-r - don't go too mad spending on Christmas as the Old Stationmaster's Almanac is predicting that 2017 will be a bumper year for r-t-r releases, some long awaited and some coming as surprises having crept up quietly on the outside, and no doubt some as yet unannounced.

Just so long as it can be arranged that there are no releases in very early 2017. (That's when I will do my shopping for 25th December 2017. It's astounding how cheap all the 'essentials' for Splurgemas suddenly become once everyone has a vast hangover and there is an urgent need for shelf space for normal tat. I really don't want to be distracted from this major savings opportunity.)

Three months today and we can all go back to work...

Edit: Except that the 27th will be a Bank Holiday as the 25th is Sunday

Andi

Which means naff all to some of us who will be working as normal on the 27th for normal pay, no enhancement whatsoever!

At least I get the 25th and 26th off but boy do people moan about that!

Them were the days! Can't even get a scheduled train over most of the network during the Xmas holidays now.

Are you volunteering to drive them?

It never ceases to amaze me how quick people will volunteer others to work so they can do the 'normal' family things over Christmas, not that they would ever dream of working themselves!

The only 2 bank holidays I am contracted to have off are Christmas day and Boxing day, if my normal roster has me working on any other bank holiday then I work them, of course those who have every bank holiday off work would like us to work these two remaining days as well so they can go shopping/ visiting etc (what about me seeing my family?), of course the mere fact that most trains would be carting fresh air around because very very few people would be travelling any distance, meaning they would cost a fortune to run for very little income seems to pass people by.

• RMweb Premium

Christmas Day is a Sunday this year. I know because it, my birthday, several friends birthdays, and my late mum's birthday all fall on the same day of the week, and this year they've all been on Sundays.

So, what do the members here think about the fact that many children barely recognise bonfire night as a concept, but are fully engaged with Halloween?

K

(Be careful how you answer chaps, this may be a trick question, deliberately planted here to initiate a giant outbreak of Meldrewisms)

So, what do the members here think about the fact that many children barely recognise bonfire night as a concept, but are fully engaged with Halloween?

I must first state that any notion of celebrating Guy Fawkes night evaporated in my formative years in the antipodean colonies. We had fireworks on the Queens birthday holiday, which is something of a moveable feast.

I wonder if the popularity of bonfire night includes more of the transitive property of holidays and evokes Samhain (with the end of harvest bonfires) more than it does celebrating the solidification of English Protestantism as a formal apparatus of the state.

Dancing around bonfires at night never really felt very Puritanical to me.  The Observance of the 5th November Act (1605) is a fun read especially the bit about the "most helpful and plentiful progeny proceeding out of his royal loins".

Stationmaster

Does your extensive collection of WTT, sectional appendicitisese etc yield any clue as the GWR bell-code for an immense Christmas pudding? And, is there differentiation between puddings passing straight through, and those stopping in section?

K

Given the size of the pudding, I think the bell code for "blocking back" may be appropriate.

• RMweb Premium

Which means naff all to some of us who will be working as normal on the 27th for normal pay, no enhancement whatsoever!

At least I get the 25th and 26th off but boy do people moan about that!

Be grateful that you are working and get days off and bank holidays and annual holiday ,

that all stops when you retire .    :jester:

Be grateful that you are working and get days off and bank holidays and annual holiday ,

that all stops when you retire .    :jester:

I only get the two bank holidays off unless the others happen to fall on a day off, if they fall on a work day then I work, no pay enhancement, no day off in lieu or anything like that, would I swap my job for any other, no chance whatsoever!

I look forward to retirement, if I manage to reach retirement age I will be the first one who has managed it in 4 generations!

• RMweb Premium

My local garden centre used to do these things, but it was taken over by the Aussie "Bunnings" empire, and is now closing down after about 30 years on that site.

Probably because the site couldn't conform with the standard aisle layout!

Archived