Jinty's WB for 7mm

Jintyman

Next on the WB among others is this PRMRP 'Shark' Ballast Brake.

I do like working with brass.

I've made a couple of alterations such as I've used some box section underneath and behind the buffer beam to strengthen it all up a bit. I've also strengthened each corner with some 2mm box. there will be further strengthening of the upper sections with some longitudinal 1.5mm box section as well, just as Brian Daniels did to his 'Shark'.

I have scratch built the vacuum pipe run at one end, and made a small flat bar bracket with rivet detail holding it in place.

post-14906-0-63458600-1482353449_thumb.jpg

And after the side duckets have been fitted and the corner box sections, and after Mr Garyflex has done his work to clean up the excess!!!

post-14906-0-26140300-1482353458_thumb.jpg

I'll hopefully get a bit more done over the holiday weekend, I just know the WB will be calling quite loudly by Boxing Day!!!!

Jinty ;)

• Like 9

Brilliant Jints, it looks a cracking model, not sure about the underframe, but I'm sure you'll improve that in time, hahha. By the time you've added all that extra Brass it should weigh the same as the real thing. hahha.

Well done mate, What Livery will you do it in? Hornby have done one in Mainline Blue and it looks stunning.

Brilliant Jints, it looks a cracking model, not sure about the underframe, but I'm sure you'll improve that in time, hahha. By the time you've added all that extra Brass it should weigh the same as the real thing. hahha.

Well done mate, What Livery will you do it in? Hornby have done one in Mainline Blue and it looks stunning.

Hi Andy,

I'm presuming that it'll be 'Dutch', but I'm awaiting confirmation from the owner!

The 'under frame' is a reminder of a little foray into LGB I had some years ago. That is the main ballast weight out of one of the LGB starter set 0-4-0T locos.

I quite like the PRMRP kit, I was considering a OTA kit from their stable for myself, but was unsure. But after starting this, I'm filled with more confidence with one now.

Jinty ;)

• Like 2

Next on the WB among others is this PRMRP 'Shark' Ballast Brake.

I do like working with brass.

I've made a couple of alterations such as I've used some box section underneath and behind the buffer beam to strengthen it all up a bit. I've also strengthened each corner with some 2mm box. there will be further strengthening of the upper sections with some longitudinal 1.5mm box section as well, just as Brian Daniels did to his 'Shark'.

I have scratch built the vacuum pipe run at one end, and made a small flat bar bracket with rivet detail holding it in place.

attachicon.gifWB 039.jpg

And after the side duckets have been fitted and the corner box sections, and after Mr Garyflex has done his work to clean up the excess!!!

attachicon.gifWB 040.jpg

I'll hopefully get a bit more done over the holiday weekend, I just know the WB will be calling quite loudly by Boxing Day!!!!

Jinty ;)

Looking good Jints. Built one myself in my rolling stock thread a while ago. The ploughs are a bit of a challenge as the geometry isn't quite right and you're also left to your own methods to fix them on properly! The end result is definitely worth it though. I agree that quite a lot of strengthening is required around the canopy and around the waist rails too. Lovely little wagon with lots of character.

Have an excellent Xmas and make sure the workbench is invited too !!!

Cheers

JF

• Like 1

Well an hour or so has been stolen in the garage on the first day of 2017.

Not a lot done, I've had a good tidy up and brush up, I've cut some 2mm brass square section ready to enhance the body on the 'Shark', and got the buffers ready to fix.

Another acquisition over the festive period has been this split box class 37 off Muddysblues. She came complete with the Pete Harvey nose skirt/buffer beam etch so will be modified in due course. It will be finished as 37042 of TE, that made it's way to Cardiff regularly. 37042 lasted in plain blue till after 1989 as there is a picture on Flickr of it with stablemate 37046 resting between duties in South Wales.

37042 will have plated over headcode boxes and a high intensity light unit fitted. The boiler blanking plate will be fitted as will the air/vacuum pipes on the reworked buffer beams. The etched Pete Harvey steps are part of the etch so will be fitted, as will the horn grilles. Buffers will be replaced with the oval variety as per the prototype.

She will be fitted with the Legoman Biffo class 37 sound file, a couple of my own speakers and have the additional lighting wired correctly with switchable tail lights and cab lights.

So here she is at the moment, and all I have done is fit some 'cross eyes' to her courtesy of the Precision Labels 7mm 7" marker box set.

post-14906-0-79170400-1483279378_thumb.jpg

And here on Talyllyn, drifting in, wrong line, with a couple of Dogfish and a VAA.

post-14906-0-87290900-1483279386_thumb.jpg

And a nose view, pre re-working

post-14906-0-18129300-1483279398_thumb.jpg

Just more work for 2017, must keep the projects going.

Jinty ;)

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

Looks nice Jinty!

See the iphone is obviously and LMS fan as it doesn't try and change your name!! Looking good, like the blue 37 nice purchase. Really wish Heljan would do another run of them and the 47s, but the latter is going to be down to second hand options when they appear and JLTRT kits I think, although I'm no where near feeling competent enough to attempt one of those!!

Can't wait to see the tractor weathered!

Rich

Edited by MarshLane

That`ll look nice with the modified skirt and some more of your excellent weathering Jinty.

Me,i still can`t decide what livery to have when Heljan`s center headcode 37 is released this year,but i do have one of pete`s etches  waiting in readiness though!.

Brian.

• Like 1

The first decent day's modelling after the festive period entailed opening a couple of boxes and getting on with the 'Shark' brake.

First box that was opened was of a J26/7 0-6-0 loco and tender (Please don't shoot me if you're a devout Eastern officianado, I only know the J is for 0-6-0!!!) that is being readied for weathering. The loco has been built nicely and runs very well, it was tested up and down on Talyllyn before I started disassembling it for weathering.

post-14906-0-06099800-1483646317_thumb.jpg

Next up is the continuation of the 'Shark' brake van.

I've fitted the buffers, the handrails, the strengthening pieces at the tops of the verandas and the upright by the doors. All that's left for strengthening now is the waist level box section around the verandas. The handrails took an age, and I've used 1mm brass wire as the holes for the handrails on the body are quite big.

post-14906-0-71305100-1483646324_thumb.jpg

Just spotted a droopy handrail which will get my attention next visit!!!!

Here is a bit of a close-up showing the small box section along the top of the veranda and the upright by the door. This should all help retain its shape and give added strength. The box at the end of the veranda can just be seen as well.

post-14906-0-65525700-1483646334_thumb.jpg

I've also unboxed two of these.............................................

post-14906-0-93987400-1483646344_thumb.jpg

Both have been numbered with the excellent Railtec transfers as Eastern versions and are awaiting the Testors Dullcote once the transfers are dry.

They will then be weathered in a reasonably grubby condition as most of them were in service.

More through the evenings this week.

Jinty ;)

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

The first decent day's modelling after the festive period entailed opening a couple of boxes and getting on with the 'Shark' brake.

First box that was opened was of a J26/7 0-6-0 loco and tender (Please don't shoot me if you're a devout Eastern officianado, I only know the J is for 0-6-0!!!) that is being readied for weathering. The loco has been built nicely and runs very well, it was tested up and down on Talyllyn before I started disassembling it for weathering.

attachicon.gifWB 046.jpg

I've fitted the buffers, the handrails, the strengthening pieces at the tops of the verandas and the upright by the doors. All that's left for strengthening now is the waist level box section around the verandas. The handrails took an age, and I've used 1mm brass wire as the holes for the handrails on the body are quite big.

attachicon.gifWB 047.jpg

Here is a bit of a close-up showing the small box section along the top of the veranda and the upright by the door. This should all help retain its shape and give added strength. The box at the end of the veranda can just be seen as well.

attachicon.gifWB 048.jpg

attachicon.gifWB 049.jpg

Both have been numbered with the excellent Railtec transfers as Eastern versions and are awaiting the Testors Dullcote once the transfers are dry.

They will then be weathered in a reasonably grubby condition as most of them were in service.

Jinty ;)

Hi Jinty,

May be a silly question but what is Testors Dullcote?  Im assuming some form of varnish?

Rich

Hi Jinty,

May be a silly question but what is Testors Dullcote?  Im assuming some form of varnish?

Rich

Hi Rich,

Testors Dullcote is a Matt Varnish aerosol. Quite hard to find it at a reasonable price lately but it is excellent stuff, and I've never had poor reactions with it.

Jinty ;)

attachicon.gifWB 046.jpg

attachicon.gifWB 047.jpg

attachicon.gifWB 048.jpg

attachicon.gifWB 049.jpg

Jinty ;)

That shark's coming along nicely but ,  ooo :nea: ... those handrails are a bit brutal in 1mm rod! Once they get picked out in white I think they'll look a bit "heavy". 

(crawls back under stone! :tomato: )

Jon F.

That shark's coming along nicely but ,  ooo :nea: ... those handrails are a bit brutal in 1mm rod! Once they get picked out in white I think they'll look a bit "heavy". 

(crawls back under stone! :tomato: )

Jon F.

Do you think Jon?

I thought that if left clean they might, but once liberally weathered they would blend ok!

I tried 0.7mm and the solder ran through and filled the handrail brackets, hence my alteration to 1mm (and it still ran through a bit!!!). The actual holes were 1.2mm dia!!!  :O  And without plating each one behind it seemed like the best option.

Jinty ;)

• RMweb Gold

Are you referring to the Tractor or the GUV??????

Jinty ;)

The GUV definitely the GUV ;)

Is the Dull coat in an aerosol can? If so I might give it a try as I hate having to get the airbrush out just to seal something.

Cheers

I think I managed to just about get away with 0.7mm but yes, I did get a bit of solder run through into the etched brackets. I seem to remember having to pick and poke to clean most of them up a bit but after weighing things up I considered it easier to hide the bit of solder in the brackets than use thicker wire and try to disguise the thickness!

Pic here

It was a pain to try to align all the handrails in those massive holes but I think the making and fitting of the ploughs was worse!

After all the excellent work I have seen on this thread I feel a bit of an @rse for pointing it out now, sorry!.. :blush: ..

JF

Edited by Jon Fitness

The GUV definitely the GUV ;)

Is the Dull coat in an aerosol can? If so I might give it a try as I hate having to get the airbrush out just to seal something.

Cheers

Hi Paul,

Testors Dullcote is getting a bit thin on the ground, but there are a few games workshops, etc still got stock. here's one:

http://www.greatescapegames.co.uk/painting-modelling-1/spray-varnish/testors-dullcote.html

I've just purchased another two @ £5 each but the postage is £6.60 via courier!

Yes it is an aerosol, very good too, but does have a bit of a smell as it's an enamel.

Jinty ;)

I think I managed to just about get away with 0.7mm but yes, I did get a bit of solder run through into the etched brackets. I seem to remember having to pick and poke to clean most of them up a bit but after weighing things up I considered it easier to hide the bit of solder in the brackets than use thicker wire and try to disguise the thickness!

Pic here

It was a pain to try to align all the handrails in those massive holes but I think the making and fitting of the ploughs was worse!

After all the excellent work I have seen on this thread I feel a bit of an @rse for pointing it out now, sorry!.. :blush: ..

JF

Don't be silly Jon, I'll accept criticism as well as praise, I'd be an @rse not to!!!!

And I do appreciate your input.

The van will be in Olive with a few replaced planks, so I can be liberal with the weathering and hopefully they won't seem too prominent.

Jinty ;)

PS: I like the centre roof bar arrangement on yours (Might nick that idea!!) ;)

Edited by Jintyman
  • Like 2