Jinty's WB for 7mm

Jintyman

Good evening all,

Today has been spent converting the Heljan class 25 to a twin speaker system and fitting with a Zimo MX969S decoder loaded with Paul Chetter's Protodrive sound file.

I've got the lighting semi ready for final soldering to the decoder, but I wanted to give it a run to see what she sounded like.

Well I'm very impressed, I'm certainly a Zimo convert, and Paul's sound file is a joy to drive (A bit of learning wouldn't go amiss though!).

I've turned the volume down quite a bit as the body is only slotted on loosely and I didn't want any reverberation to spoil the effect.

The first couple of runs up and down were as light engine, the third run was a full power run, albeit for a short stretch.

I'm going to have to practice driving with the Protodrive file as it opens up so many different driving possibilities.

I'm very pleased with how it's come out.

Here is the video:

What do others think?

Jinty ;)

Apologies for the carp videoing!!!!!!!

Cant wait to get my 26 fitted now mate, that is awesome, WELL DONE PAUL,

Hi Brian,

Thank you.

I get the Zimo MX969S direct from Paul Chetter with his Protodrive sound file on it.

The MX969S is certainly ok for just about all Heljan diesels as it's got a 4A continuous current capability and 8 function outputs.

It is also markedly cheaper than the ESU XL, and quite a bit smaller.

Jinty ;)

I`m slightly confused.(which is`nt hard!)

I though Paul`s sound`s were only avalible through digitrains?.

Brian.

Brian.

I think you'll find that the Two are quite separate, I order from Paul for the Protodrive, and Digitrains are a Digidrive I believe, Pauls have more features and real drive experience, plus more options I think.

Jinty will know more about the in's and out's of them both.

Brian.

No Paul supplies his own sound himself.

The Protodrive sounds are from Paul, I think it was the Activedrive from Digitrains.

Jinty ;)

Hi Paul,

It's the same set up as the one I did the other month.

The two bass reflex speakers are set on pedestals over the carden shafts and the decoder sits in the middle where the Heljan PCB was located.

This is a picture of the ESU fit.

post-14906-0-00124600-1484694300.jpg

Jinty ;)

• Like 2

I suppose the same set up can be used on most Heljans then Jinty?

Cheers

Actually no Paul,  The 25 has two horizontal motors driving the bogies through carden shafts.

A lot of the previous Heljan releases have a vertical motor on each bogie directly driving the gear train between the axles.

Jinty ;)

Apart from side windows the Eastern thingamybob is just about finished!!!

post-14906-0-76979300-1485103538_thumb.jpg

A bit of an exuberant fireman overfilling and splashing the water around...

post-14906-0-19029800-1485103545_thumb.jpg

Ashes not cleaned off the front footplate....

post-14906-0-55672700-1485103551_thumb.jpg

post-14906-0-90334100-1485103560_thumb.jpg

post-14906-0-52762600-1485103568_thumb.jpg

post-14906-0-13676600-1485103577_thumb.jpg

post-14906-0-83862700-1485103584_thumb.jpg

GUV's due next.....

Jinty ;)

• Like 8

I like it although I feel the rust is on the light side and resembles new rust rather than dark rust that has become part of the 'livery' over a long period. In other words it rather resembles the rust found on locos in temporary storage where oil has been removed by the weather leaving exposed parts to rust. Just a thought. It is still a good weathering job for all that IMV.

• RMweb Gold

Apart from side windows the Eastern thingamybob is just about finished!

GUV's due next.....

Jinty ;)

Lovely J27 mate! Out of sync for wagon works of Talyllyn Junction tho isn't it? Or is this for layout three??? ;)

Looking forward to seeing what you do with the GUVs.

Rich

attachicon.gifWB 058.jpg

attachicon.gifWB 059.jpg

attachicon.gifWB 060.jpg

attachicon.gifWB 061.jpg

attachicon.gifWB 062.jpg

attachicon.gifWB 063.jpg

attachicon.gifWB 064.jpg

GUV's due next.....

Jinty ;)

Very nice mate, I like it.

Lovely J27 mate! Out of sync for wagon works of Talyllyn Junction tho isn't it? Or is this for layout three??? ;)

Looking forward to seeing what you do with the GUVs.

Rich

There is no layout 3!!!!!

The Eastern thingy is for Chris Stafford.

GUV's coming very soon........

Jinty ;)

• Like 1

I like it although I feel the rust is on the light side and resembles new rust rather than dark rust that has become part of the 'livery' over a long period. In other words it rather resembles the rust found on locos in temporary storage where oil has been removed by the weather leaving exposed parts to rust. Just a thought. It is still a good weathering job for all that IMV.

attachicon.gifWB 058.jpg

attachicon.gifWB 059.jpg

attachicon.gifWB 060.jpg

attachicon.gifWB 061.jpg

attachicon.gifWB 062.jpg

attachicon.gifWB 063.jpg

attachicon.gifWB 064.jpg

GUV's due next.....

Jinty ;)

Hi Jint's,

Loving the weathering to my J27 'Eastern thingamybob' but I have to agree with Coachman's comments about the Rust, it looks too new and could do with a dose of weathering over it to give a more workaday neglected look.

Regards

Chris

• Like 1

Cracking work

Thanks Steve.   ;)

Very nice mate, I like it.

Thanks Andy,

Here are the GUV's.............................................

Hard to photograph in their entirety on the plank, except from above, but I like low angle photographs, sort of normal height view. Me thinks a new plank is required, longer with a bigger backscene!!!

post-14906-0-58608700-1485110213_thumb.jpg

post-14906-0-80157700-1485110220_thumb.jpg

post-14906-0-46852100-1485110229_thumb.jpg

post-14906-0-46215000-1485110236_thumb.jpg

post-14906-0-44050700-1485110244_thumb.jpg

post-14906-0-52324100-1485110252_thumb.jpg

Been making a start on the class 25 weathering too, but more of that on my day off this coming week.

Jinty ;)

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Here are the GUV's............................................

Hard to photograph in their entirety on the plank, except from above, but I like low angle photographs, sort of normal height view. Me thinks a new plank is required, longer with a bigger backscene!!!

Jinty ;)

See I knew there would be a No.3!!!!

• Like 1

Thanks Steve.   ;)

Thanks Andy,

Here are the GUV's.............................................

attachicon.gifWB 065.jpg

attachicon.gifWB 066.jpg

attachicon.gifWB 067.jpg

attachicon.gifWB 068.jpg

attachicon.gifWB 069.jpg

attachicon.gifWB 070.jpg

Been making a start on the class 25 weathering too, but more of that on my day off this coming week.

Jinty ;)

Yet again more magic from your WB Jint's.

Looking forward to getting these off you at Pontefract Exhibition on Saturday, when we can give my J27 'Eastern thingamybob' a run out on 'Craster'

Regards

Chris

• Like 2

Another little job that's been visited on theWB today has been the Heljan class 37/0. 

I've removed the buffer valences and filed up the curves., a little bit more tidying up needed but then I need to make up the Pete Harvey buffer beams, and add the JLTRT oval buffers and the relevant brass pipework supplied in the JLTRT diesel detailing kit.

post-14906-0-92020000-1485115251_thumb.jpg

I'm in a quandary as to how I should go about removing the horn grilles to replace them with the etched ones.

I think I'm going to drill out the existing horn grilles and then file the surround down gently, before attaching the etched ones. 

Jinty ;)

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Another little job that's been visited on theWB today has been the Heljan class 37/0. 

I've removed the buffer valences and filed up the curves., a little bit more tidying up needed but then I need to make up the Pete Harvey buffer beams, and add the JLTRT oval buffers and the relevant brass pipework supplied in the JLTRT diesel detailing kit.

attachicon.gifWB 071.jpg

I'm in a quandary as to how I should go about removing the horn grilles to replace them with the etched ones.

I think I'm going to drill out the existing horn grilles and then file the surround down gently, before attaching the etched ones. 

Jinty ;)

Hi Jinty,

How have you cut the buffer beam out - is it just a cut away with a small saw ( :O ) or is it using a template of some sort? 

Hi Jinty,

Great weathering, I really like those GUVs are they a Kit or Heljan?

Following your work on the class 37 too as I have to do the same to mine.

Cheers Peter.

Jinty will confirm, but I think both are the Heljan ones Peter - they do look good unweathered, but with Jinty's skills .. move up to superb!

Rich

• Like 1

Hi Jinty,

How have you cut the buffer beam out - is it just a cut away with a small saw ( :O ) or is it using a template of some sort? 

Jinty will confirm, but I think both are the Heljan ones Peter - they do look good unweathered, but with Jinty's skills .. move up to superb!

Rich

Hi Rich,

Firstly I marked out the centre of the curved arc with a dot, and then drew a line across the top of the existing buffers to bring it just a smidgin lower than the raised centre piece (about a mm or so). I then drilled out a pilot hole  at the centre mark, and gently opened it out with a hand drill. Once it broke through the bottom, I then had to file it to shape with a small half round file.

I've since made up the buffer beams and glued them in place on the old plastic coupling beam that has been filed flat for the brass beam to sit on. I need to file the corners of the chassis block a little yet, so that the buffer beam sits square.

One thing I am sitting scratching my head trying to work out is how the steps fold up. Does anyone here have a copy of the instructions they could scan and e-mail me over? PM me if so, thanks in advance!!!

Hi Jinty,

Great weathering, I really like those GUVs are they a Kit or Heljan?

Following your work on the class 37 too as I have to do the same to mine.

Cheers Peter.

Hi Peter,

Thanks, yes I can confirm that the GUV's are indeed Heljan.

The 37 seems quite straight forward up to now.

You want to see the size of speaker I've been able to get into the tanks!!!!! :O

Jinty ;)

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Firstly I marked out the centre of the curved arc with a dot, and then drew a line across the top of the existing buffers to bring it just a smidgin lower than the raised centre piece (about a mm or so). I then drilled out a pilot hole  at the centre mark, and gently opened it out with a hand drill. Once it broke through the bottom, I then had to file it to shape with a small half round file.

I've since made up the buffer beams and glued them in place on the old plastic coupling beam that has been filed flat for the brass beam to sit on. I need to file the corners of the chassis block a little yet, so that the buffer beam sits square.

Thanks for that ... added to my modelling notes file for future reference.  If I'm going to start doing these I've two to do at some point!  That will take a huge amount of courage tho!

Now as for the size of this speaker .... <shouts>pictures pictures</shouts> can be heard in the background! :)

Rich