Jinty's WB for 7mm

Jintyman

Now as for the size of this speaker .... <shouts>pictures pictures</shouts> can be heard in the background! :)

Rich

I've put a picture up before.

but here it is again....................................

From below, lifted slightly so the gap still shows between the tanks

post-14906-0-27100700-1485192648_thumb.jpg

From above. I shall close off the box area for the decoder to sit on, so that will become its own chamber with the tanks themselves

post-14906-0-62072600-1485192659_thumb.jpg

The speaker is 100mm x 36mm, 8ohm, 10w.

I've got the Zimo MX969S, loaded with Paul Chetter's Protodrive 37/0 sound ready for this, so will fix it all up for a sound test as soon as I can.

But I imagine it will be after the weekend now.

Jinty ;)

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I've put a picture up before.

but here it is again....................................

From below, lifted slightly so the gap still shows between the tanks

attachicon.gifWB 052.jpg

From above. I shall close off the box area for the decoder to sit on, so that will become its own chamber with the tanks themselves

attachicon.gifWB 053.jpg

The speaker is 100mm x 36mm, 8ohm, 10w.

I've got the Zimo MX969S, loaded with Paul Chetter's Protodrive 37/0 sound ready for this, so will fix it all up for a sound test as soon as I can.

But I imagine it will be after the weekend now.

Jinty ;)

Oops sorry - missed that somebody.  That is ******y big speaker!  You do know that when you run that 37 through Talyllyn Junction, they're really not suppose to hear it starting off in Aberystwyth don't you! :). Looking forward to hearing the outcome!  

You see, its things like this that make me think kit building is worth it ... by the time we've finished modifying everything and cutting bits away .... there'll not be all that much left of the original!  :onthequiet:

Rich

Oops sorry - missed that somebody.  That is ******y big speaker!  You do know that when you run that 37 through Talyllyn Junction, they're really not suppose to hear it starting off in Aberystwyth don't you! :). Looking forward to hearing the outcome!  

I'm beginning to think Talyllyn Junction survived into the bus shelter revival period with 08's, 25's, 37's and 60's running through it. Wow!!!  Actually Rule 1 might be more interesting than authenticytis superannuated  Pannier Tanks and Ivatt 2F 2-6-0's....  xD

Edited by coachmann

I'll probably hear it start up from down here Mate, mind you I've got the New Inglorious / Inglorious, and Joe Bonamassa /Blues of Desperation Albums on at full tilt in the Shed at the moment so maybe not. 

You do know that when you run that 37 through Talyllyn Junction, they're really not suppose to hear it starting off in Aberystwyth don't you! :). Looking forward to hearing the outcome!  

I'm beginning to think Talyllyn Junction survived into the bus shelter revival period with 08's, 25's, 37's and 60's running through it. Wow!!!  Actually Rule 1 might be more interesting than authenticytis superannuated  Pannier Tanks and Ivatt 2F 2-6-0's....  xD

The class 37 (and the class 60) are for my next project, Wrexbury Marsh TRSMD that can be found here     http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/119128-wrexbury-marsh-trsmd/

The 37 will be 37042 which lasted in BR Banger Blue into 1989 at least!!!

There is obviously no reason why they can't be tested on Talyllyn though, as Coachman says, "Rule 1"

Jinty ;)

• Like 1

Hi Rich,

Firstly I marked out the centre of the curved arc with a dot, and then drew a line across the top of the existing buffers to bring it just a smidgin lower than the raised centre piece (about a mm or so). I then drilled out a pilot hole  at the centre mark, and gently opened it out with a hand drill. Once it broke through the bottom, I then had to file it to shape with a small half round file.

I've since made up the buffer beams and glued them in place on the old plastic coupling beam that has been filed flat for the brass beam to sit on. I need to file the corners of the chassis block a little yet, so that the buffer beam sits square.

One thing I am sitting scratching my head trying to work out is how the steps fold up. Does anyone here have a copy of the instructions they could scan and e-mail me over? PM me if so, thanks in advance!!!

Hi Peter,

Thanks, yes I can confirm that the GUV's are indeed Heljan.

The 37 seems quite straight forward up to now.

You want to see the size of speaker I've been able to get into the tanks!!!!! :O

Jinty ;)

Thanks Jinty,

Sound is a little way off for my 37 but I know where to come for advice. I would like to see what you get in the JLTRT diesel detail kit as I need oval buffers for when I do mine.

Cheers Peter.

Thanks Jinty,

Sound is a little way off for my 37 but I know where to come for advice. I would like to see what you get in the JLTRT diesel detail kit as I need oval buffers for when I do mine.

Cheers Peter.

Hi Peter,

The JLTRT detailing kit has a multitude of bits in it, including the correct (non turning) oval buffers.

Also included are various pipes for the buffer beam, , couplings, cab controls, ETH equipment, headcode discs, etc, etc.

All very nice lost wax brass castings, except the horns and drivers seats, which are whitemetal.

Jinty ;)

• Like 1

Today has seen a couple of finishers, the Heljan class 25 and the Easterm 'J' thingamy!!!

Here are a few pictures of the 25, fitted with Paul Chetter Class 25 Protodrive sound. Directional headcode lights on F0 and directional tail lights on F21.

I'm going to try to do a video later, if I can engage the help of the wife!

Anyway, here are the pictures:

post-14906-0-31235500-1485364843_thumb.jpg

post-14906-0-10424200-1485364853_thumb.jpg

post-14906-0-64278400-1485364864_thumb.jpg

The bloke looks like he's had one too many!!!

post-14906-0-70409600-1485364876_thumb.jpg

post-14906-0-71400400-1485364884_thumb.jpg

I've also revisited the Eastern 0-6-0 and given the rust some more of an aged look about it. I'd been experimenting with some weathering paste, but when I'd sealed it with Testors the paste that I'd applied lightened for some reason. Anyway, it was back to using the MIG powders to give it a more 'lived in' look.

post-14906-0-89960100-1485364893_thumb.jpg

post-14906-0-97741300-1485364900_thumb.jpg

post-14906-0-71707500-1485364907_thumb.jpg

Jinty ;)

• Like 15

Today has seen a couple of finishers, the Heljan class 25 and the Easterm 'J' thingamy!!!

Here are a few pictures of the 25, fitted with Paul Chetter Class 25 Protodrive sound. Directional headcode lights on F0 and directional tail lights on F21.

I'm going to try to do a video later, if I can engage the help of the wife!

Anyway, here are the pictures:

attachicon.gifWB 074.jpg

attachicon.gifWB 075.jpg

attachicon.gifWB 076.jpg

The bloke looks like he's had one too many!!!

attachicon.gifWB 077.jpg

attachicon.gifWB 078.jpg

I've also revisited the Eastern 0-6-0 and given the rust some more of an aged look about it. I'd been experimenting with some weathering paste, but when I'd sealed it with Testors the paste that I'd applied lightened for some reason. Anyway, it was back to using the MIG powders to give it a more 'lived in' look.

attachicon.gifWB 079.jpg

attachicon.gifWB 080.jpg

attachicon.gifWB 081.jpg

Jinty ;)

What a pleasure to come over to the Dark Side and see a nice model, with Weathering well executed and no adverse comments, really good mate, well done and thanks for posting such good images.

Also a little bit done on the 37. Ground the corners back so that the new buffer beam sat square and is ready for buffers , coupling and pipework now.

Here it is with the body on checking for clearances 

post-14906-0-54107700-1485369692_thumb.jpg

Onto the horn grilles next and the boiler blanking plate on the body.

Jinty ;)

• Like 8

Great Class 25 sound with that base speaker. Takes me back to the local shunt between Bangor yard and the Tunnel using a Class 24, and also the Gunpowder trains entering Blaenau from the south. I wonder what a steam loco would sound like with one of your whopping speakers in the Tender....?  :sungum:

Edited by coachmann

Hi Peter,

The JLTRT detailing kit has a multitude of bits in it, including the correct (non turning) oval buffers.

Also included are various pipes for the buffer beam, , couplings, cab controls, ETH equipment, headcode discs, etc, etc.

All very nice lost wax brass castings, except the horns and drivers seats, which are whitemetal.

Jinty ;)

Jinty, do you have a reference for this kit? Can't find it on their website?

Thanks,

Paul - Father D.

Had a quick meet up with Jinty at Talyllyn this evening, I can assure everybody that hasn't seen or heard the 25 in the flesh it sounds and looks even better than on the videos.

It's blinking awesome !!!!!

Dda Iawn Jinty

Craig

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Jinty,

A mate of mine is going to put a Zimo chip in a Heljan 33 - any recommendations for speakers?  Also, I may have missed it earlier, so apologies for asking if its already been answered, but my 25 is next to have the 'Paul' effect done to it ... which speakers did you use - yours or commercial ones?

Rich

Jinty,

A mate of mine is going to put a Zimo chip in a Heljan 33 - any recommendations for speakers?  Also, I may have missed it earlier, so apologies for asking if its already been answered, but my 25 is next to have the 'Paul' effect done to it ... which speakers did you use - yours or commercial ones?

Rich

Hi Rich,

The speakers used are my own supplied ones. 

I use two that are set above the carden shafts on pedestals.

Here is a picture of the installation using the ESU V4L decoder, just switch the ESU for the Zimo!!!

post-14906-0-44541200-1485471288.jpg

The conversion write up is here:  http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/98974-talyllyn-junction-a-long-project-trackwork-wagons/?p=2439920

Basically you solder up a couple of pedestals from brass box and brass angle.

Glue a piece of brass angle behind the cab bulkheads and then glue the speakers (facing downwards) onto the pedestals. 

Then check the body clears ok.

Simples

Jinty ;)

Edited to add:   If using two of my speakers they will need to be wired in parallel.

Edited by Jintyman
  • Like 1

Jinty,

Rich

Sorry Rich,

I missed the first question.

I can't advise as I've not seen the 33 with the lid off!!!!

If it's like the 26, then I'll be able to work it out when I do AndyP's 26 in the next few weeks.

Jinty ;)

PS:  I forgot to mention that the class 25 with the Zimo and the two speakers was only on about one third volume in that video. The volume can be increased with no distortion as I'm sure Craig will bear out.

• Like 2