50t Warwell Wagon in OO Gauge

Hattons Dave

Although they aren't Saxons in the above photo, I'd be interested in a diecast Saxon too.

I don't think the warflats are available RTR either yet. Genesis make a pewter kit though.

I agree and I don,t think any of these modern vehicles exist in Diecast which is why I m interested to know by whom as I may have missed a make (there are new ones all the time).

Saxons do exist in kit for though.

• Like 1

They are made by a Hong Kong company called Tiny. Though they are 'fit the box' scale they use particular scales for certain types of models, 1/64 for cars, 1/76 for light commercials and 1/120 for buses. http://www.tiny.com.hk/v33/product_list.asp They can be found on E-bay.

Interesting. There is some confusion over scale. Some sites saying 1/72nd, others 1/64th. Both a bit big for a Warwell though 1/72 would be a couple of millimetres or so.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Interesting. There is some confusion over scale. Some sites saying 1/72nd, others 1/64th. Both a bit big for a Warwell though 1/72 would be a couple of millimetres or so.

Many of their light commercials are certainly 1/76 scale, they also do an armoured Unimog (police) that is also 1/76.

• RMweb Gold

As an aside here is my 1:76 Airfix Scorpion tank that I built and painted 30 years ago! This cheap and simple kit would be ideal for these wagons and I have emailed Airfix to suggest they re-release under their Vintage range.

gallery_24698_4132_523392.jpg

There does appear to be a big gap in the diecast/model kit market for 1:76 modern military vehicles.

• Like 5

Looks great.

I really like the Airfix Scorpion. I've probably built about 20 of them over the last 40 odd years and it still builds well. I've got a few still in my stash of things to do.

Having said that it doesn't build a true representation of how Scimitars / Scorpion were in service as it needs alterations to the flotation screen, stowage and headlights to be totally accurate. Matador models list a conversion kit on their website which looks suitable. Has anyone used one of these?

Sadly I don't think that Airfix own the mould anymore. I remember reading something about it, probably on the Airfix tribute forum they they sold it on.

They missed a trick there, as it should have lead to the Spartan, Samson, Sultan, Samaritan and Sabre variants. All except the latter still in service. Sabre was a redundant Fox turret on a redundant Scorpion hull. The new Scimitar 2, is a reworked Spartan hull, with Scimitar turret. (gives more room and better anti mine protection for crew).

There really is a gap in the market for modern British afv's.

• Like 1

Just received three 1970s Warwells in weathered finish. These were bought as I couldn't get any of the pristine ones. The weathering looks awful. Does anyone know if it can be removed easily without damaging the paint or printed lettering beneath?

Many thanks

John

I recently got 3 WWII era Hattons Warwell's (on top of 2 modern versions) and gave them a run behind a WD 2-8-0 with 3 Oxford variants (Hattons don't do SR revised bed nor tank loads) trailing behind. At first I was worried that the very different paint finish on the two models would not really work together  but actually it is not at all jarring.

I suspect the 2-8-0 will not be able to manage 15 of these when they are all loaded with diecast tanks though and would love someone to do the WD 2-10-0 (hint for Hattons) in WD green.

post-15098-0-58672800-1537346582_thumb.jpg

post-15098-0-33084800-1537346593_thumb.jpg

post-15098-0-16160800-1537346605_thumb.jpg

post-15098-0-82952900-1537346616_thumb.jpg

post-15098-0-15999300-1537346628_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

I recently got 3 WWII era Hattons Warwell's (on top of 2 modern versions) and gave them a run behind a WD 2-8-0 with 3 Oxford variants (Hattons don't do SR revised bed nor tank loads) trailing behind. At first I was worried that the very different paint finish on the two models would not really work together  but actually it is not at all jarring.

I suspect that an inconsistent paint job across a rake is likely to be quite prototypical, really.

I suspect that an inconsistent paint job across a rake is likely to be quite prototypical, really.

Especially military railway items. Oxfords tends to look like 70 year old faded green and Hatton's fresh from the works. It will be interesting to see how Bachmann's warflats compare.

• RMweb Premium

Just received three 1970s Warwells in weathered finish. These were bought as I couldn't get any of the pristine ones. The weathering looks awful. Does anyone know if it can be removed easily without damaging the paint or printed lettering beneath?

Many thanks

John

I too don't like 'factory weathering' but it was the easiest way to get the total (4) I wanted with different running numbers.

Used T-cut and cotton buds to get it off the decks, then weathered all 4 in the usual manner.

If you press on too hard the Green will come off too, so go steady. ;)

Landrovers, temporarily making up a load until I get something more suitable !

Cheers,

Phil.

post-4971-0-72666500-1537377014_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I too don't like 'factory weathering' but it was the easiest way to get the total (4) I wanted with different running numbers.

Used T-cut and cotton buds to get it off the decks, then weathered all 4 in the usual manner.

If you press on too hard the Green will come off too, so go steady. ;)

Landrovers, temporarily making up a load until I get something more suitable !

Cheers,

Phil.

Was advised by Hattons not to try to remove the weathering. Experimenting with the first one and have airbrushed a light coat of matt varnish which has taken the shine off. Plan to apply some dirt to the deck. They have grown on me during the last week, so much so that I plan to buy another three.... Buying up Airfix Scorpion tanks.

John

• Like 1