50t Warwell Wagon in OO Gauge

Hattons Dave

Thanks for that JSpencer, saves a scalemates search later in the day. Is there any consensus on which offering is more accurate between the Revell & Trumpeter?

In general the Trumpeter version edges it over Revell, having the correct side and ride heights. Both have errors (more or less the same ones!)

Trumpeter seems to be easier to build. The below reviews high light all the niggles, and gives some hints on how to put these right.

Revell

http://www.onthewaymodels.com/articles/SBarnes_A_Better_Warrior.htm

Trumpeter:

http://www.network54.com/Forum/47210/thread/1346572715/Trumpeter+warrior

The ready made easy model is the same kit pre built.

Both are better than Altaya which looks crude in comparison.

Well...  I just put a preorder in for three Oxford Shermans which are due for release in the coming months.  They are 10th Mountain, so probably the wrong camouflage but I can either repaint or come up with some backstory. 

They are the same cost as the Airfix models, but without the hassle of having to put together and paint them. 

• Like 1

I've now had time to work on my warwell with MOD land rover defenders, using 2mm tape as tie-down straps. I think I've made a good job of a modern MOD train, just need to make some wheel chucks and stick them either side of the wheels.

post-8106-0-16546000-1500320730_thumb.jpg

post-8106-0-69807200-1500320784_thumb.jpg

post-8106-0-09289800-1500320824_thumb.jpg

• Like 12

I received my Warwells from Hattons today and it wasn't long before the first one was in bits. The deck is a plastic molding which clips and is spot glued with very little glue ( on mine) into the main chassis which is a metal casting with added plastic detail, these 2 main components came apart easily with a little help from the blade of a craft knife.

Anyway here are some pictures of the exploded Warwell, hosted from Photobucket so please let me know if you have issues seeing them as some seam to be having at the moment.

[/url]">http://

">DSC_0375_zpsu92j2xmg.jpg[/url]

[/url]">http://DSC_0377_zps38bu4zp2.jpg

[/url]">http://DSC_0376_zpsoof8ta2c.jpg

The buffers are quite exquisite, sprung with a slot each side of the shank where the spring can be seen doing it's job.

[/url]">http://http://s62.photobucket.com/user/Debe2233/media/MODEL%20STUFF/DSC_0378_zps2wzvhhrr.jpg.html'>DSC_0378_zps2wzvhhrr.jpg  

• Like 1

Looking for some advice here.

I've just had three warwells delivered, one of the electrification versions and one each of a 1970s diamond frame in Olive (WW-004) and a Gloucester bogie version in olive (WW-014).

Great models as reported widely on here. My question though is related to the finish of the two 1970s Olive versions. I guess I was expecting them to be the same colour so that I could have a bit of variation in a rake but with a uniform appearance. As it turns out the diamond frame version is more of a battleship grey while the other one is a olive green as I had expected.

I have to admit that I know very little about military wagons, so would the two versions not actually have run together anyway ?. Also was there a significant difference in the Olive colour between these types ?.

Any advice / guidance would be greatly appreciated.

After seeing the photos up thread yesterday I ordered one of each of the three modern image warwells. Usual excellent service from Hattons they've just arrived.

Very well packed and cleverly designed boxes. One buffer had come adrift but that was easily replaced.

The bodies of these wagons are truly excellent. Sublime rivet detail and track grips on the deck. Excellent representation of the wooden beams with grain effect. Paint colours, and lettering are suberb. I've said previously that these wagons didn't represent the wagons as they run now with the widened decks above the bogies which was done presumably to facilitate carrying Warrior vehicles but I was considering overlooking this as they looked so good.

Turning the wagon over the detail underneath is excellent too. Underside of the wooden deck beams have grain effect. Brake cylinder and piping included. Rivet detail on frames present.

Problem. The Gloucester GPS bogies are seriously under nourished. On all photographs of the real wagons I have seen the bogies are the same width as the frames. On the model they are approx 2mm to narrow on each side so about 4mm overall. I'm not convinced about the depth of the bogie frames either. It's almost like they are HO scale. I'll compare them with some Appleby Model Engineering GPS bogies I have later when I dig them out of the cupboard.

Overall then body 9.5 / 10, bogies 4 / 10.

With the big problem with the bogies, and the minor problem with the body I'm considering whether I will return them for refund.

Seems Simon Bendall agrees with me on this from his review in this months Rail Express Modeller.

I didn't return them in the end as despite the issues with them I like them too much.

• RMweb Gold

Seeing what ews60002 has achieved with his Warwells reminded me that back in July 2005 whilst passing Eastleigh Station on the way to work I saw something unusual (for me) and briefly stopped in a car park and took some photos of  a military train which appeared to be transporting a set of Police Land Rovers and Army ones. No idea as to their destination, but I assumed that it was Marshwood and that the Police ones were being sold to one of our less desirable middle east friends so that they could be used to control their own citizens, I am sure someone on here can identify the livery.

The Army Land Rovers on Warflats seem to have UK Army registration plates. Looking at the photos I was interested to note how the metal wheel chocks have been used, seems a strange arrangement. Sorry for the quality, it was an early digital camera -the Canon 300D -and a very dull morning - I couldn't stay any longer, I was already late for a meeting, but I don't think I missed more than one more Warwell. The train consist behind 66119 seemed to be 1 VGA, 8 Police vans, 4 Canvas topped LRs, 1 Police Van, 2 canvas topped LRs, 1 empty Warwell, and 6 Police vans. All the police vans were on Warwells and the soft tops were all on Warflats.

Hope that is of some used to those of you who have bought the later version Warwells.

all the best

Godfrery

post-138-0-37711900-1500824138_thumb.jpg

post-138-0-52555300-1500824155_thumb.jpg

post-138-0-02069200-1500824173_thumb.jpg

post-138-0-78703100-1500824185_thumb.jpg

post-138-0-70439600-1500824204_thumb.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

It is a bit of an odd way to chock the vehicles: I was taught to put the chocks on the outer side of the wheels, with the wheels against the long face of the chocks, but that was without tensioning straps. I suspect in this case that the wheelbase of the Land Rovers is such that the chock, if placed like that, would be part on the floor, and part on the sloping bit, so not making full contact with wagon along its length.

• RMweb Gold

It is a bit of an odd way to chock the vehicles: I was taught to put the chocks on the outer side of the wheels, with the wheels against the long face of the chocks, but that was without tensioning straps. I suspect in this case that the wheelbase of the Land Rovers is such that the chock, if placed like that, would be part on the floor, and part on the sloping bit, so not making full contact with wagon along its length.

I agree with your suggestion when they were chocking the vehicles on the Warwells but they then placed them the same way round on the Warflats. Maybe the team loading the vehicles weren't too bright or had been discouraged from using their initiative and just followed the orders that had been given for chocking vehicles on the Warwells!

It could be that they were effectively redundant when the vehicles had been tensioned with the straps anyway.

all the best

Godfrey

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

The warwells shape themselves is a natural chock.. there not going to roll up either side of the ramps.

Putting them inside gives redundancy in this case.

The 90 degree side also makes sense.. those kind of chocks are used normally as a portable ramp to allow inspection underneath, but in this instance it's purpose is not to allow movement.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1

Interesting to note that the GWR version of the Warwell has now completely sold out. Does this bode well for future GWR and big 4 era wagon commissions more generally? If Hattons are listening, an inside and an outside framed GWR Siphon G ought to do quite well, and there's a stack of liveries to be had, from 1920's G - W brown all the way through to 1970/80s ENPARTS...

CoY

• RMweb Gold

Hi all,

Some more progress to share with you today regarding the O Gauge versions of the Warwells.

This time it's factory painted samples.

Although we've used the same colours as the OO versions, we still want to ensure that the finish and printing is up to the same quality that everyone has come to expect.

There are one or two small alterations to be made but overall we're very happy with where these are up to.

All 10 O Gauge versions are still available to pre-order HERE on our website where you'll be able to see more photos of each.

As ever, I'll let the pictures do the talking rather than rambling on myself.

Cheers,

Dave

post-28458-0-12366100-1502206127_thumb.jpg

post-28458-0-96013600-1502206134_thumb.jpg

post-28458-0-13767700-1502206134_thumb.jpg

post-28458-0-93504900-1502206132_thumb.jpg

post-28458-0-35946400-1502206132_thumb.jpg

post-28458-0-54034800-1502206131_thumb.jpg

post-28458-0-58522700-1502206130_thumb.jpg

post-28458-0-93044200-1502206129_thumb.jpg

post-28458-0-16747200-1502206129_thumb.jpg

post-28458-0-96755400-1502206127_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

Interesting to note that the GWR version of the Warwell has now completely sold out. Does this bode well for future GWR and big 4 era wagon commissions more generally? If Hattons are listening, an inside and an outside framed GWR Siphon G ought to do quite well, and there's a stack of liveries to be had, from 1920's G - W brown all the way through to 1970/80s ENPARTS...

CoY

Do you mean BRW ?

• Like 1