Class 22, Warships and Westerns ?

Andrew P

• RMweb Premium

Warships and Westerns yes.  They had booked turns on the Paddington - Birkenhead trains and were the staple motive power for a time so no doubt at all that they reached that part of the country.

Baby Warships (class 22) I too would suggest never in traffic though possibly if some were delivered that way or went that way en route to South Wales when new.  

• RMweb Gold

Bo-Bo Warships regularly workes through to Crewe on the North and West workings. In later years they also worked some Bescot turns IIRC.

Westerns regularly worked Paddington trains until Oxley got 47s around 1964, not so common after that. Sometimes a D800 Warship subbed. The Crewe built Westerns were delivered to the WR via Tyseley depot in some cases, possibly all.

D600 Warships and Class 22s got from Glasgow to Swindon somehow.

There are pictures of NBL locos heading south at Wigan. I would expect the LMR to hand them over to the WR as soon as possible which was usually turn right at Crewe South.

• RMweb Premium

"Rail Centres No 10: Shrewsbury" mentions both Westerns & Warships being seen in the early 60s. Hymeks were also seen working through Shrewsbury (mainly freight workings).

Once the London Midland region took over the area in 63, these workings were increasingly rarer although mention is given to Westerns still being observed on goods or special passenger workings until the early 1970s.

There is a photo (page 23) of D1033 Western Trooper with the 8:55 Birkenhead - Paddington at Shrewsbury but is undated.

No mention of any 22s though.

Cheers Guys, I'll need to look further South then, as I want 22's, 35's Warship and Westerns mixed with some Midland workings. I'm NOT going to model an actual location, more a general area, but I need to be able to run Black 5's and Jubilees occasionally, so  that's why I was thinking around the area just North of Bath on the old S & D Line to begin with. I think I need to re look at that area now, as opposed to the North Wales Route or maybe nearer to Birmingham.

"Rail Centres No 10: Shrewsbury" mentions both Westerns & Warships being seen in the early 60s. Hymeks were also seen working through Shrewsbury (mainly freight workings).

Once the London Midland region took over the area in 63, these workings were increasingly rarer although mention is given to Westerns still being observed on goods or special passenger workings until the early 1970s.

There is a photo (page 23) of D1033 Western Trooper with the 8:55 Birkenhead - Paddington at Shrewsbury but is undated.

No mention of any 22s though.

For info, there are a couple of clips of almost brand new Westerns at Shrewsbury on the Marsden Rail video Vol5 'Shrewsbury'.

I don't have any WR WTTs but the headcodes shown are 1V04 and 1M20.

Oxford? Firmly in Western (and Warship ) territory but with visitors from other regions. Class 22s worked through for the Fairford Branch (Witney / Hinksey freight)

Black 5 at Oxford:

https://flic.kr/p/Eq8r6T

https://flic.kr/p/EpMhUd

Good choice with Oxford - Class 22s did various local trip workings in the area, including substituting for other classes on the Hinksey - Banbury trips. Some Western hauled Padd-Brum jobs were diverted via Oxford (normally booked via High Wycombe and P.Risborough), the Padd-Worcesters / Herefords were worked by Hymeks and in the late '60s by NBL (Class 43) Warships.

Another good location would be Gloucester which would give you Class 14s as well.

Good choice with Oxford - Class 22s did various local trip workings in the area, including substituting for other classes on the Hinksey - Banbury trips. Some Western hauled Padd-Brum jobs were diverted via Oxford (normally booked via High Wycombe and P.Risborough), the Padd-Worcesters / Herefords were worked by Hymeks and in the late '60s by NBL (Class 43) Warships.

Another good location would be Gloucester which would give you Class 14s as well.

And also include a 44 if that old chestnut photo is not a photoshop product.

post-4474-0-96468600-1476964190.jpg

• RMweb Gold

For info, there are a couple of clips of almost brand new Westerns at Shrewsbury on the Marsden Rail video Vol5 'Shrewsbury'.

I don't have any WR WTTs but the headcodes shown are 1V04 and 1M20.

1V04 - 8.50am Birkenhead to Paddington, 1M20 - 4.10pm Paddington to Birkenhead.

• RMweb Gold

The options for a lot of DH classes would be either the Oxford area or Gloucester area. As far as steam is concerned at that time both seemed to have a wide variety, sheds tending to put out anything they thought would be up to the job and permitted on the route although they didn't always stick to either condition.

What a great pic - look at the state of that Brush type 4!

A lot of midland diesel freight locos were in that condition during the latter days of steam in that area.

I have to apologise in advance to the (unknown) copyright holder of this photo, but if anyone can recognise the location - they could have a pair of filthy class 27s, what appears to be a 22 on the extreme right, and what looks like SR steam locos on the left; together with WR lower quadrants.

post-4474-0-72938300-1476969893_thumb.jpg

A lot of midland diesel freight locos were in that condition during the latter days of steam in that area.

I have to apologise in advance to the (unknown) copyright holder of this photo, but if anyone can recognise the location - they could have a pair of filthy class 27s, what appears to be a 22 on the extreme right, and what looks like SR steam locos on the left; together with WR lower quadrants.

Gloucester, perhaps? I believe a couple of BR&CW Type 2s worked through from the Midland, in the days when they were still to be seen around Wellingborough; presumably on iron ore for South Wales. The SR steam locos could well be heading either to Wales or the West Midlands for scrapping.

• RMweb Gold

Gloucester, perhaps? I believe a couple of BR&CW Type 2s worked through from the Midland, in the days when they were still to be seen around Wellingborough; presumably on iron ore for South Wales. The SR steam locos could well be heading either to Wales or the West Midlands for scrapping.

The signal definitely fits for Gloucester (Tramway Jcn) as does what can be seen in the right background.

Thanks for that, stovepipe.

I don't like posting photos that are not in my possession, but that one seems to have found its way onto my hard drive without any details of where I found it, probably from Fotopic many years ago.

I had always assumed it was somewhere on the West London line.

Archived