Class 22, Warships and Westerns ?

Andrew P

One of the things I find great about the shots of the 27's is the signalling: the shot showing 5377 nearest the camera shows the WR signals and the other one shows the LM signals. Tramway Junction was where I spent many happy hours in my young days writing down numbers on scarps of paper scrounged from my nan who lived in a house (where I was born) overlooking Horton Road depot. If only those scraps of paper had survived! 

I think the 22's were drafted in to replace the Yogi Bears.

• RMweb Gold

A lot of midland diesel freight locos were in that condition during the latter days of steam in that area.

I have to apologise in advance to the (unknown) copyright holder of this photo, but if anyone can recognise the location - they could have a pair of filthy class 27s, what appears to be a 22 on the extreme right, and what looks like SR steam locos on the left; together with WR lower quadrants.

A lot of SR steam went to Cashmores at Newport for cutting. From other photos it looks as if Gloucester was a common storage point for locos heading to the scrap yards of South Wales.

• RMweb Gold

A lot of SR steam went to Cashmores at Newport for cutting. From other photos it looks as if Gloucester was a common storage point for locos heading to the scrap yards of South Wales.

They went via Gloucester because they weren't allowed through the Severn Tunnel although I believe some also went to another breaker somewhere along/off the mainline between Gloucester and severn Tunnel Jcn. 

Gloucester was a concentration point for withdrawn steam locos en-route to the South Wales scrapyards.

This was more noticeable when steam ended on the Southern Region.

Many would be moved again, only as far as the former Severn Tunnel Junction steam shed where they would lay over and be marshalled in batches waiting the for the last part of their journey to the individaul scrapyards (of which there were many in South Wales).

Locos en-route to South Wales from the North West of England were stored at Sutton Bridge Junction, Shrewsbury from where they would be moved down the 'North & West' (no one called it 'The Marches Line'). to South Wales.

Brian R

• RMweb Gold

They went via Gloucester because they weren't allowed through the Severn Tunnel although I believe some also went to another breaker somewhere along/off the mainline between Gloucester and severn Tunnel Jcn. 

Interesting - wonder where that was ?

Can only think of Wards at Abbey Works (LLanthony I think in Gloucester) and Sharpness. The fact that both only took Ex GW locos makes me think they had ceased operations by the time Southern steam was winding down

Phil

• RMweb Gold

Cheers Guys, I'll need to look further South then, as I want 22's, 35's Warship and Westerns mixed with some Midland workings. I'm NOT going to model an actual location, more a general area, but I need to be able to run Black 5's and Jubilees occasionally, so  that's why I was thinking around the area just North of Bath on the old S & D Line to begin with. I think I need to re look at that area now, as opposed to the North Wales Route or maybe nearer to Birmingham.

Here's a 22 at Warwick in 1966 if

http://www.warwickshirerailways.com/gwr/gwrw2169.htm

• RMweb Gold

Interesting - wonder where that was ?

Can only think of Wards at Abbey Works (LLanthony I think in Gloucester) and Sharpness. The fact that both only took Ex GW locos makes me think they had ceased operations by the time Southern steam was winding down

Phil

Ah, I think you're right Phil - I was thinking of Sharpness, wrong side of the river alas.  However I've an idea I saw something somewhere about condemned engines being collected at somewhere like Grange Court and it might be that which is confusing my aged brain (and they might not have been Southern things anyway of course).  

Ah, I think you're right Phil - I was thinking of Sharpness, wrong side of the river alas.  However I've an idea I saw something somewhere about condemned engines being collected at somewhere like Grange Court and it might be that which is confusing my aged brain (and they might not have been Southern things anyway of course).  

I can recall seeing (from a distance) several withdrawn locos, including a 9F, in the sidings at Over Jct.

Sadly I don't recall the date, but it was circa 1967-1968

As for Sharpness, I recall Cooper's Metals cutting several locos there.

I have a list of the South Wales yards somewhere, for those with insomnia.

Brian R

• RMweb Gold

A bit OT for the thread, but that's an interesting station nameboard on the lamp post, it looks to be corporate identity style but with unusual rounded corners.

Nice picture of the NBL, too.

Warwick still had double sausage totems in 1965 but photos from mid-1966 show the new style.  

The edges look like the older BR rectangular notices so I guess they did some on the old pressings in the new style.

What was she working Peter? Allegedly she did get as far north as Derby one day towing a 25, came back light engine

Phil

That was 27th. September 1972 - 'Falcon' towed D7520 from Ebbw Junction to Derby and returned immediately.

In later life, June 1974, whilst still allocated to Ebbw Junction 'Falcon' suddenly "appeared" outside the Brush works at Loughborough.

Apparently some BR mix up which didn't take into account (i) Falcon had been bought by BR a few years earlier (ii) the rail connection to the Brush works no longer existed, and (iii) Brush had no knowledge of its' arrival, or as to why it was there !

'Falcon' languished there for about a week, then returned to South Wales ( via Derby ) where it was returned to service shuttling  around Newport

Brian R

Re withdrawn locos being stored at Shelf sidings at Shrewsbury, locos were also stored in the depot at Shrewsbury usually in the old GW side of the shed which was little used in the mid 1960s, operational locos using the old LMS side. The problem for the operations department was find a path for the trains of withdrawn locos as they had to run at restricted speeds. It was not unknown for one of the withdrawn locos to run a hot box and have to be taken out of the train for attention.

• RMweb Gold

Wow! Can only imagine that was a Banbury turn with a loco outstationed from Oxford?

Phil

I'm not sure - the Hatton bank loco was previously a Leamington job, but this shed had closed about a year previously. D6348 was nominally at OOC at the time, but one of the links may have taken her onto the Oxford trip workings, and then from there to Hatton somehow. We have such good information about coach workings etc available nowadays, but sadly its not the same for shed diagrams, which seem not to have survived in most cases.

I'm not sure - the Hatton bank loco was previously a Leamington job, but this shed had closed about a year previously. D6348 was nominally at OOC at the time, but one of the links may have taken her onto the Oxford trip workings, and then from there to Hatton somehow. We have such good information about coach workings etc available nowadays, but sadly its not the same for shed diagrams, which seem not to have survived in most cases.

Ex-Old Oak man Pete Nichols posted something about this on facebook a while ago, I'll ask him what the story was... ;) 

Wow! Can only imagine that was a Banbury turn with a loco outstationed from Oxford?

Phil

Wow was my reaction hadn't realised they had ever got that far towards Birmingham.

Assuming it was a one off, what would have normally worked the banker back then in 1966.

Steam was still around at Snow Hill then and north of Banbury was London Midland territory, by then, so I suppose the banker could have still been steam worked at the time.

If it wasn't then what other diesels could have worked the diagram, possibly it was a Bescot job, which would most likely mean a class 24 or 25.

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Another good location would be the Gloucester-Severn Tunnel route; all of the hydraulics, in fact every type of loco and dmu allocated to the WR in the late 60s, plus frequent workings from the LMR and even Eastern Region that could not be relieved at Gloucester and had to work through to Severn Tunnel; 31s, 25s, 20s, 26/7s. split headcode 37s, and occasional Metro-Cammell and BRCW dmus from Birmingham. 

Even more fun a few years before with WR and LMR steam as well...

Archived