Hornby Announce Mk1 FO and BSO

MGR Hooper!

A quick photo of the FO, that I’ve just PMed Phil Bullock, as I said to him, no close coupling mechanism, feels a bit lightweight.

I’m sure with a bit of attention they will scrub up (or down if weathering) well.attachicon.gif5319C737-B34D-4D83-A197-20E217A01F02.jpeg

Hornby mk1's are far lighter than the Bachmann mk1's. Not a problem - just a statement. Looking forward to 3 BSO''s and an FO  in Maroon.

Edited by davidw

• RMweb Gold

I wouldn't be so hung up by the lack of a buffet as certainly by the late 70s, most Mk1 rakes were used on non-buffet services (with Mk1 buffets ironically being utilised in Mk2 and Mk3 sets)

I actually came to a conclusion and solved my own problem...

I’ve bought another rake of Mk1’s in Maroon with lights as made by Hornby 2 years ago, £30 a piece. I’ll strip the lights and bogies from two of them and put one in the FO and one in the BSO.. makes me a rake with lights, £10 less than the new ones without lights and I only need to buy 2 new coaches.

Blue/grey can wait another day, I found my Replica Railways FO’s the other day, and these really aren’t that bad, indeed their good.

Edited by adb968008

Oh Im interesting in the Commonwealth bogies if you want to sell them?

I actually came to a conclusion and solved my own problem...

I’ve bought another rake of Mk1’s in Maroon with lights as made by Hornby 2 years ago, £30 a piece. I’ll strip the lights and bogies from two of them and put one in the FO and one in the BSO.. makes me a rake with lights, £10 less than the new ones without lights and I only need to buy 2 new coaches.

Blue/grey can wait another day, I found my Replica Railways FO’s the other day, and these really aren’t that bad, indeed their good.

• RMweb Gold

Yes. Sorry, thought you were putting lights in the B+G FO.

No but Phils post helps me a lot, I just found a dozen Replica coaches (my intercity white roof FO set), and NSE stock etc from a recent house move.. but somewhere in the last 20 years the couplings were removed (hacked off), in a close coupling attempt had a fitting melted on ! so at £1.95 for a kit Replica bogie that’s just the solution I need to bring the set back up to scratch, you could have these old commonwealth bogies if you wish ? Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

No but Phils post helps me a lot, I just found a dozen Replica coaches (my intercity white roof FO set), and NSE stock etc from a recent house move.. but somewhere in the last 20 years the couplings were removed (hacked off), in a close coupling attempt had a fitting melted on ! so at £1.95 for a kit Replica bogie that’s just the solution I need to bring the set back up to scratch, you could have these old commonwealth bogies if you wish ?

And if you want close coupling I have done both a Replica FO and RBR with Keen systems close couplers

Needed a bit of tinkering but are fine now

Spot the RBR in the middle of the Bachmanns at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2fd48McmZM - just need to weather chassis more in line with Bachmanns

FO will be lurking somewhere in the videos too - has orange curtains.

Phil

Anyone actually have a new BSO ? the original CAD images showed a correct OPEN interior - so what have they fitted in the models ?

The BSO has not been released yet. Blue grey version is imminent.

Edited by davidw

Both FO and BSO in stock at Rails - and cheaper also.................

https://railsofsheffield.com/br-mk1-coach-brake-second-open-w9353-blue-grey-livery-JJJA32301

Kernow MRC has photos of the coach in stock which clearly show open interior http://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com/p/55528/R4777-Hornby-BR-Mk1-Brake-Second-Open-BSO%C2%A0Coach-number-W9353

Yes my BSO has arrived fitted with an open interior, overall it looks very good, one issue, 3 hole Disc wheels are fitted to it's MK1 bogies. I intend to swap them for a set of Com bogies from a TSO - but they have 3 Hole Disc wheels fitted also...........argh !

Yes my BSO has arrived fitted with an open interior, overall it looks very good, one issue, 3 hole Disc wheels are fitted to it's MK1 bogies. I intend to swap them for a set of Com bogies from a TSO - but they have 3 Hole Disc wheels fitted also...........argh !

3 hole disc? What size are they? Would have expected Hornby to use their 14mm plain disc wheels on these as per the previous versions?

3 hole disc? What size are they? Would have expected Hornby to use their 14mm plain disc wheels on these as per the previous versions?

Slight correction - they are actually 2 hole 14 mm disc ! right size, but as you commented why did they not use their 14 plain disc wheel sets ?