Authentic Model Railway Operation book

Not Jeremy

• RMweb Gold

Being launched on the Wild Swan stand at Warley, an all new book on how to operate your model railway in a realistic fashion from practising modeller Martin Nield.

Highly readable and full of pictures of both models and prototypes, together with numerous plans and diagrams. £13.95, 64 pages, sewn softback with spine on art paper, colour throughout and printed in Blighty by Amadeus "oop north".

post-19301-0-73297600-1479583496.jpg

Simon

• RMweb Gold

Well, that's definitely one for the bookshelf, I think. I'm sure all current railway professionals, plus old retired fa*ts like me who still think they know it all, will be interested to read it.

I trust that this covers things like correct operation of signals and the like, Simon, plus crossing of two trains at a crossing loop on a single line etc., and won't focus on the fact that the signals and points are being controlled from the wrong design of signal box?  :P

• RMweb Premium

Looks interesting. I shall have a peek at Warley next weekend. Wonder if it has an officially sanctioned list of expletives with guidance as to when to use them? Or maybe that's just how I operate my railway...

• RMweb Gold

Well, that's definitely one for the bookshelf, I think. I'm sure all current railway professionals, plus old retired fa*ts like me who still think they know it all, will be interested to read it.

I trust that this covers things like correct operation of signals and the like, Simon, plus crossing of two trains at a crossing loop on a single line etc., and won't focus on the fact that the signals and points are being controlled from the wrong design of signal box?  :P

Yes - very much the measure of such books and judging by many past published examples seemingly all too easy to get it wrong.

• RMweb Gold

Martin does talk about signalling, but it isn't a book about signalling "per se". He talks about various different ways in which a model's operation can be made more authentic, for example through using protypical track layouts, which also relates to signalling, of course. He also covers sources of traffic, differing sorts of prototype, the services your model might expect to have etc. And then some practical operating methods you can use, giving practical examples from a few well known layouts.

I think he strikes a good balance between baffling a newcomer on the one hand and boring a more experienced modeller on the other.

For me, and this is a probably a personal thing, I got the same "buzz" from reading this book that I got from Cyril Freezer's Peco booklet on branch lines - which is that as modellers we can credibly recreate a really believable piece of operating railway on a limited canvass. Which isn't to say you can do it on a grand scale too, but most of us don't have the space and resources to produce the magnificent lunacy of "Retford" for example - also featured in the book.

The pictures are nice too, model shots and some good and gritty "Lanky" images too.

Simon

• RMweb Gold

I received confirmation from the printers today that Authentic Model Railway Operation will definitely be available at Warley.

Apart from being available on the Wild Swan stand, Bill Hudson Books will also have stocks of it at the NEC this weekend.

Iain Rice's new book Creating Cameo Layouts is however running a little late and will not be out for Warley, but will follow very shortly and in time for Christmas.

A third new Wild Swan book will also be coming out before Christmas.

post-19301-0-89812800-1479939839.jpg

Simon

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Being launched on the Wild Swan stand at Warley, an all new book on how to operate your model railway in a realistic fashion from practising modeller Martin Nield.

Highly readable and full of pictures of both models and prototypes, together with numerous plans and diagrams. £13.95, 64 pages, sewn softback with spine on art paper, colour throughout and printed in Blighty by Amadeus "oop north".

attachicon.gifAuthmodbig.jpg

Simon

Doesn't have a forward by Bob Essery, does it?  :jester:

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

It is definitely "traditional railway" oriented, though the principles are sound for any railway or era, if not the actual practice.

The author has a liking for interlocked lever frames on models. I think as a result our next club layout may be having one.

I must admit that although i could not fault it I found it a bit basic. There are lots and lots of nice photos but the text is actually quite short.

The only question I had at all was of a photo of a model where it was stated that the coal train was serving the local gas works, but it was made up of PO wagons, all different. My feeling is that it should have been a train of wagons from whichever colliery the gas company had a contract with - or perhaps two or three, but not all different. Any thoughts?

Jonathan

• RMweb Gold

It is definitely "traditional railway" oriented, though the principles are sound for any railway or era, if not the actual practice.

The author has a liking for interlocked lever frames on models. I think as a result our next club layout may be having one.

I must admit that although i could not fault it I found it a bit basic. There are lots and lots of nice photos but the text is actually quite short.

The only question I had at all was of a photo of a model where it was stated that the coal train was serving the local gas works, but it was made up of PO wagons, all different. My feeling is that it should have been a train of wagons from whichever colliery the gas company had a contract with - or perhaps two or three, but not all different. Any thoughts?

Jonathan

Some  gasworks probably were supplied by the bigger merchants but normally it would be collieries or major coal factors such as Stephenson Clarke  but I somehow can't see a gasworks having wagons from numerous different coal merchants - unless it was in the pooling era.

• RMweb Premium

You would think that a book on operation would have wider appeal.

Could it be argued that the book has limited its appeal by its choice of examples and time period? I have read it and it is a good book and quoting corneliuslundie 'It is definitely "traditional railway" oriented, though the principles are sound for any railway or era, if not the actual practice.'. Perhaps the author should have applied these principles to a wider range of railway companies or made that more explicit in the text? There is also the issue of single line working which unless I am mistaken receives little attention if any. Within its 64 pages there are approximately 73 photographs and 43 diagrams, drawings and extracts from documents, has this been at the expense of explanation?

I will end with what I wrote earlier - this is a good book and I will add that it is worth purchasing and provides much useful information.

• RMweb Gold

Interesting that very few other than the "usual suspects" have replied to this thread.

You would think that a book on operation would have wider appeal.

Some people don't like finding out they are running a layout ar*e backwards.

I cant begin to count the number of layouts I've seen, where locomotive crew relief areas are nicely spick & span. You've normally got a crew, shunter, and possibly others, and the nearest bench is a scale 70' away..... One layout I used to help/assist, had just this anomaly. I pointed this out to the owner (a dear friend). He couldn't get it.....

Ian

• RMweb Gold

Could it be argued that the book has limited its appeal by its choice of examples and time period? I have read it and it is a good book and quoting corneliuslundie 'It is definitely "traditional railway" oriented, though the principles are sound for any railway or era, if not the actual practice.'. Perhaps the author should have applied these principles to a wider range of railway companies or made that more explicit in the text? There is also the issue of single line working which unless I am mistaken receives little attention if any. Within its 64 pages there are approximately 73 photographs and 43 diagrams, drawings and extracts from documents, has this been at the expense of explanation?

I will end with what I wrote earlier - this is a good book and I will add that it is worth purchasing and provides much useful information.

I've not read the book yet (my local model shop had not received any copies when I called just before Christmas) but I would not really expect it to deal with Single line Working - which is the process of running trains over only one line when the other line, or lines, on a double or multi-track route is not available for train movements.

As far as single lines and their signalling and operation are concerned it always strikes me as something rather basic to railway modelling as so many layouts are based around single lines - and it is not at all unusual to see them being operated incorrectly!

• RMweb Premium

I've not read the book yet (my local model shop had not received any copies when I called just before Christmas) but I would not really expect it to deal with Single line Working - which is the process of running trains over only one line when the other line, or lines, on a double or multi-track route is not available for train movements.

As far as single lines and their signalling and operation are concerned it always strikes me as something rather basic to railway modelling as so many layouts are based around single lines - and it is not at all unusual to see them being operated incorrectly!

Thank you for correcting me, I should have written 'working of single lines'. If you are expecting it to deal with the working of single lines then I believe you will be disappointed.

• RMweb Gold

Thank you for correcting me, I should have written 'working of single lines'. If you are expecting it to deal with the working of single lines then I believe you will be disappointed.

I don't need it to as such but I'm a little surprised that it is omitted if he has covered the working of double lines.  It's not at all difficult to work single lines stations correctly and the Treneglos guys took onboard some hints I gave them which resulted in teh crossing of trains looking the way it should in real life - made a considerable visual difference to the way operation looked.

However it's hardly fair of me to say anything about the book as I've yet to obtain a copy.

Archived