Hornby Class 87 - Confirmed Newly Tooled Version for 2017 !

ThaneofFife

• RMweb Premium

I don't understand this - the RRP is still the same, but everyone seems to have reduced the discount to only 10% off!

Hornby have imposed a 10% maximum discount. And I missed the boat on buying these :(

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/137631-Hornby-discount-limits/

Virgin paint sample...

That looks stunning! Thanks for taking the time to share the image. Much appreciated.

Looking forward to getting mine. Didn't expect to see a livery sample so soon, hope this means production can be brought forward a few months if there's an available slot.

July 2019 is a long wait otherwise...which I don't mind though.

That looks stunning! Thanks for taking the time to share the image. Much appreciated.

Looking forward to getting mine. Didn't expect to see a livery sample so soon, hope this means production can be brought forward a few months if there's an available slot.

July 2019 is a long wait otherwise...which I don't mind though.

You're welcome. I did ask, but it's still due Summer 2019 sadly because of production slots.

So hands up what livery (or perhaps liveries) will they announce in a couple of months time then?  The new 2019 announcements are not that far off now...…..

With the new Mk5 sleepers coming I am not sure if they will do the Caledonian livery for 87002 now but who knows how they thing at Hornby.   Be a lovely model if they got the high gloss finish bang on.    Youd still need Mk3 sleepers to match too...…so I think this one is unlikely but did see a one off painted in this scheme on ebay for about £200 recently.  Looked good but not factory.

I would hope Executive would make an appearance, although as it was a long-lived livery, it could be modelled without the 27 way jumper boxes and with just TDM cables, as per the current IC livery, with the jumper boxes and TDMs and just the jumper boxes!  Don't envy Hornby selecting which one to go for.

So hands up what livery (or perhaps liveries) will they announce in a couple of months time then?  The new 2019 announcements are not that far off now...…..

With the new Mk5 sleepers coming I am not sure if they will do the Caledonian livery for 87002 now but who knows how they thing at Hornby.   Be a lovely model if they got the high gloss finish bang on.    Youd still need Mk3 sleepers to match too...…so I think this one is unlikely but did see a one off painted in this scheme on ebay for about £200 recently.  Looked good but not factory.

Certainly if Hornby announce a model of 87002 "Royal Soverign" in Serco Caledonian livery, I'll be up for one. Infact I'll cancel my Virgin Trains one and choose the Serco Caledonian one. The only thing I'd hope for is the choice of blue to be correct. Their Caledonian Class 67 was a disaster.

• RMweb Gold
On 15/10/2018 at 10:14, MGR Hooper! said:

Certainly if Hornby announce a model of 87002 "Royal Soverign" in Serco Caledonian livery, I'll be up for one. Infact I'll cancel my Virgin Trains one and choose the Serco Caledonian one. The only thing I'd hope for is the choice of blue to be correct. Their Caledonian Class 67 was a disaster.

87002 would be a great choice, you could run it on GWML layouts alongside the class 800, complete with Western Region Mk1’s and the GWR HST, all in this years Hornby range, and be wholly realistic...

Hornby has considerable prior form for releasing stock and liveries of current locomotives and liveries just after they change livery or stop working, and 87002 stops the sleeper early next year, when the Mk3 sleepers are withdrawn.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1

how did the original jumper cables survive on 87002? (see the pic above on the GWML)    i thought the 87s all eventually had those jumper sockets removed and the holes plated over to leave just the TD< sockets and cables etc?

I am fairly sure they were re-installed after preservation.

I would expect them to be only cosmetic too.

agree with an executive version (more than one to choose from) but prey tel let it not be 87 010 King Arthur again!

87 006 experimental large logo would be on my list.

The names & numbers come off very easily with some T Cut & a cotton bud. Much more easily than with some previous models I have re-numbered.

I am fairly sure they were re-installed after preservation.

I would expect them to be only cosmetic too.

They were, and they are.

Also good news about the ease of removing the printed names and numbers.  I too have found Hornby's tampo printing to be reluctant to removal efforts in the past compared to Bachmann, so that'll be a nice little job for the winter.

• RMweb Gold

Did the 87's work with MK2 stock in InterCity Swallow guise or were they confined to MK3 +DVT ?

Hornbys own image of 87010 shows it with intercity exec mk2’s...

https://www.Hornby.com/uk-en/shop/locomotives/locomotives-by-class/class-87.html

They ran with what ever was required, i think somewhere i have a picture of them with the Intercity Mk1 white roof charter set at Crewe. They werent immune from parcels, freight either, not regular but not impossible if needed as well as Sleepers and mail

Edited by adb968008

They turned up regularly on the Wolverhampton services which were regularly Mk2s right until the Pendolinos were introduced.

Yup, Wolverhampton operated on a "run what you brung" principle right up until the end.

I've ridden on trains with a mix of Mk1, Mk2, and Mk3A stock

• RMweb Gold

Yup, Wolverhampton operated on a "run what you brung" principle right up until the end.

I've ridden on trains with a mix of Mk1, Mk2, and Mk3A stock

The finał Class 87 Railtour was cancelled I believe for that very reason Edited by adb968008

The finał Class 87 Railtour was cancelled I believe for that very reason

with 87002 fit for main line ive felt a new railtour for 87 enthusiasts was long overdue.  believe it ran a staff special recently over parts of the wired GWML but that doesn't count.

quite a bit of network is wired now compared to when the 87s were in regular traffic so scope for a buffer puffer AC tour!

• Like 1

with 87002 fit for main line ive felt a new railtour for 87 enthusiasts was long overdue.  believe it ran a staff special recently over parts of the wired GWML but that doesn't count.

quite a bit of network is wired now compared to when the 87s were in regular traffic so scope for a buffer puffer AC tour!

So what you want is a Euston-Milngavie-A2B-Edinburgh-Kings Cross-Leeds using an 87 and DVT, then have a diesel haul the train over the Pennines to Piccadilly so the 87 pans up and powers back to Euston via the newly energised Rugeley-Walsall Cannock line.

How would that do you ? Not sure Milngavie would be cleared for class 87 and DVT though !!!

Edited by Covkid

Being realistic you would need a couple of trips probably at least 3 or even 4 for my thinking on the following area/lines

Ayr/Ardrossan, Blackpool North, Glas-Edin, Piccadilly to Preston via Bolton, Lime Street to Earlestown/Newton, Glasgow suburbs/circles, Helensburgh, Wemyss Bay, Mossend/Holytown, Glossop/Hadfield, Carstairs-Edin, Bham cross city line, Aston/Stechford/Walsall/Rugeley TV.....heaven knows if you fit a tour into some lines.  

The 87 has done plenty of miles on the ECML and to a lesser extent on the Greater Anglian route.

• RMweb Gold

Being realistic you would need a couple of trips probably at least 3 or even 4 for my thinking on the following area/lines

Ayr/Ardrossan, Blackpool North, Glas-Edin, Piccadilly to Preston via Bolton, Lime Street to Earlestown/Newton, Glasgow suburbs/circles, Helensburgh, Wemyss Bay, Mossend/Holytown, Glossop/Hadfield, Carstairs-Edin, Bham cross city line, Aston/Stechford/Walsall/Rugeley TV.....heaven knows if you fit a tour into some lines.

The 87 has done plenty of miles on the ECML and to a lesser extent on the Greater Anglian route.

The problem is there are no longer any runround loops in blackpool..., not even the sidings, they are no longer connected, the nearest runround loop to Blackpool is Preston Station, crazy i know but there it is.

You might be able to run round a diesel hauled train using Plat 1 (blackpool south line) and Platform 2 at Kirkham and Wesham, but neither is bi-directionally signalled, and no Eastern crossing, requiring a further push back onto the south line to gain access to platform 3 toward Preston at the west end, but i doubt the rule book allows that.

You would have thought Acton Mainline towards Acton Wells Jn would have made the dice for electrification, wouldnt you ? - its a matter of a few feet separating them and would give even a basic access to the rest of the electrified network.

Edited by adb968008