Hornby Class 87 - Confirmed Newly Tooled Version for 2017 !

ThaneofFife

Looking good. I actually think the older variant has a better paint shade, particularly the dark grey. Hornby do have a tendency to do very deep, dark shades which don't always look right to my eye...

Yes and No -  most Swallow locos had Falcon Grey upper bodysides, a different shade to the earlier Exec Dark Grey.........

Grrrrrrrr!

The LEDs on the cab-front circuit boards are wired common Negative! Why Hornby? Why?

Andi

Bummer - they did the same with the NON factory sound fitted 56's/60's......would have thought they would have revised this by now......

Edited by tractor_37260

Re the speed limit on the data panels mentioned in the video, I thought 110mph was correct for the Class 87?

Official as built top speed on the data panel was 100mph. 

Once fitted with the high speed pantographs in the 1980s the speed was raised to 110mph and this was changed on the data panel so for the blue cross-arm version it should be 100 but isn't and shows 110.  The InterCity version correctly shows 110.

Sone photos with an Oxford Rail Mk3 for comparison.

attachicon.gif1EB8D593-1770-4821-93C5-D50EBD0453C5.jpeg

attachicon.gif3944F438-49EE-42BD-841C-5E918E2D6A43.jpeg

attachicon.gif96AA3E92-77D9-41DF-A5FF-E944001A4CE9.jpeg

Had to find and glue in place the door steps to the coach before I could take these photos...

Cheers

Darius

Wow!! the Oxford Rail Mk3 dark grey looks even darker than the Hornby Falcon Grey in that comparison

theres summat not quite right about those OR Mk3s looking at those pics.  Are the bogies too small or should there be a bit more of gap between bogie and body?  Its definitely something...……

If anybody has a link to where I can buy some nice screw link couplings from that would be great or maybe somebody can spare me a pair from a Bachmann detail pack they don't need??. 

• RMweb Gold

Just noticed that a bit of the “protective packaging” had stuck itself to the cab fromt. Removed it and it’s adhesive with a tissue and some white spirits.

post-29162-0-38821200-1536235309.jpeg

Cheers

Darius

Edited by Darius43
  • Like 1

I received my 87010 last Saturday & to say I was smitten would be an understatement, The model straight out of the box is crisp, weighty & without doubt the best RTR 87 ever produced. The arrangement with the lights stumped me somewhat how the day setting only displays the 2 marker lights, Glossing over that however my only criticism minus the obvious Pantograph quality is the fact that there isn't any sort of provision to turn off the lights at one end of the loco when on a push pull train. If there is anyone who's DCC'd there 87 I would be interested to know how much control of lights a multi function chip provides. All in all fantastic model indeed.

• Like 2

My intercity class 87 just arrived lovely looking model it looks like an 87. Very nice detailing, the photograph looks the part, however it's not sprung so if you have overhead wires on your layout it won't work well for you, also despite me taking great care it fell off. It does clip back on but it's not a good fit. After writing this i turned The model upside down and The photograph fell off again. I think it may need glued on.

The air blast circuit breaker is modelled open which it would be if The photograph was down but should be closed when The pan is up.

The cab interior is well detailed would be improved with painting, the underframe detailing is superb the rivet detail is well done and the painting is great.

In conclusion a great model pity about the pantograph.

• Like 1

Very nice detailing, the photograph looks the part, however it's not sprung so if you have overhead wires on your layout it won't work well for you, also despite me taking great care it fell off. 

After writing this i turned The model upside down and The photograph fell off again. 

The air blast circuit breaker is modelled open which it would be if The photograph was down but should be closed when The pan is up.

Any chance you could post a pantograph?  :angel:

There is a discussion about this on the DEMU forum.

Apparently 'open' is correct for an operating photograph pantograph, whilst 'closed' is in the 'earthed' position. So Hornby have it correctly modelled as 'open'.

EDIT: This is corroborated by evidence from photos of operating 87s.

Guy

Edited by lyneux

Vanbasher - DCC lights - I've put a Lokpilot in my 87. It works just as a DC would except you can switch off all lights on F0. Switching on F0 you get marker lights front and rear in Day mode, In Night mode you get marker lights front and rear + headlight and cab light at front. Not planning on doing anything further at the moment. I've contacted LegomanBiffo about a sound chip. He's hoping to get his hands on a model this weekend to check motor settings etc and the best speaker for it. Once he's perfected it i'll get one.

Grrrrrrrr!

The LEDs on the cab-front circuit boards are wired common Negative! Why Hornby? Why?

Andi

Can some one who knows about these explain the problems this causes? My early thoughts for an initial basic fix were to try and re-wire the headlights to come on with the marker lights and have the night mode just for switching on the cab light. Obviously this doesn't solve the rear lights coming on all the time!

Thanks to Darrel - i was wondering if something had snapped off on my roof. Now i know a little about ABB!

Thane of Fife - Some comments from your video - doubt you'll re-do it but here's some info you queried. According to Modern Locomotives Illustrated No.199 Robert Burns was named April 78 after being introduced October 74, so it's not straight out the factory condition. In the same magazine there's also a photo of 87001 in May 73 with a white battery charger box.

Finally  had my 87 pulling 16 carriages last night with no obviously slowing up my 1 in 50 on 900mm radius curves (it is a short gradient and only half the train is actually on at a time)!

• Like 2