Hornby Class 87 - Confirmed Newly Tooled Version for 2017 !

ThaneofFife

The sound fitted models have always had a different chassis design, however Heljan seem to follow the same idea even the retooled 33s were still 8 pin, however......hornbys decoder line (what ever you think of it), is 8 pin apart from the sapphire which includes an 8 pin harness so perhaps the business mantra however bizarre it seems could be because they do not have a native mainstream 21 pin decoder.....

Personally i wish DCC would just stick to one interface per scale. 

FWIW the retooled 33 shares much of the original 33 chassis block and drive train. I can swap bodies between them and use the new bogie sides on the older models. It is possible to upgrade 33/1 and 33/2 to the new 33/0 standard with ease (well it was while you could obtain spare sprews).

Back to the topic. Having put back the overhead on my layout, I find the modern finer pantos are difficult to keep aligned under it going round sharp curves and now think a posable (with easily adjustable height - the previous ex-lima 87 gives you basically too few options in that regard) is better than sprung.

The sprung panto on the Bachmann 85 works ok except the shoe tilts to the rear. The sprung pantos on the Heljan class 76, are hopeless switching from diamond to square after moving one inch. The Triang EM2 is much better in that regard.

So for me a posable panto with adjustable height is preferred.

I decided to renumber one of mine last night. In the past I have found it difficult to remove printed detail without damaging the paint.

I did not need to worry though.

Using a cotton bud & some T cut, the name & number came off quickly & easily with no damage to the paint other than a little polishing.

The now 87 011 had its maiden run out on Coppell at the weekend.

post-8271-0-84269200-1537903142_thumb.jpg

A not very good I-phone shot i'm afraid! As you can see the marker lights failed, not Hornby's fault as I'd 'binned' the PCB. But otherwise ran smoothly all weekend on eight Mk2's a Mk3 RFM and a DVT. Kev.

• Like 13

The now 87 011 had its maiden run out on Coppell at the weekend.

attachicon.gifIMG_0104.JPG

A not very good I-phone shot i'm afraid! As you can see the marker lights failed, not Hornby's fault as I'd 'binned' the PCB. But otherwise ran smoothly all weekend on eight Mk2's a Mk3 RFM and a DVT. Kev.

Looks fantastic!

Just wondering whether you were able to propel the rake and if so, how did the locos coupling cam mechanism cope?

• RMweb Gold

Apart from featuring on one of the first releases it hasn't been in the range in that livery for quite a few years. Hopefully due a re-run soon!

And a marketing opportunity spectacularly missed..If new MK3's are currently on release,presumably to coincide with the Class 87 why no DVT ? Both Virgin and Network Rail (Kernow commission) versions are currently available. A degree of joined up thinking would be useful IMHO.

Looks fantastic!

Just wondering whether you were able to propel the rake and if so, how did the locos coupling cam mechanism cope?

I never got the chance to try it. But the layout will be set up again at our show in a couple of weeks, so I'll give it a go then. As for the marker lights, it turned out i'd forgotten to puts the light guides back in on re-assembly! Doh, Kev.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Did the 87's work with MK2 stock in InterCity Swallow guise or were they confined to MK3 +DVT ?

Definitely worked with Mk2 stock as well as Mk3s in all their liveries. The Mk2 rakes had DVTs too of course.

Edited by brushman47544

And a marketing opportunity spectacularly missed..If new MK3's are currently on release,presumably to coincide with the Class 87 why no DVT ? Both Virgin and Network Rail (Kernow commission) versions are currently available. A degree of joined up thinking would be useful IMHO.

It could be down to no slots being available at the factory, even they are reducing their lines now. I had to repaint a few to get mine in intercity