Hornby Class 87 - Confirmed Newly Tooled Version for 2017 !

ThaneofFife

• RMweb Gold

Mine's coming along with the main spraying done. After painting the light grey, I masked the area off (with the roof all masked off from before) and sprayed the yellow ends and cab roofs.

I let it set, then masked off the cab roofs and all around the lower bodysides with the join 10mm from the bottom of the loco body and sprayed the dark grey.

Finally masked off around the cab windscreens and brushed black acrylic for the subtle effect from the prototype - they actually had black window surrounds, not dark grey. Also brushed the dangly bits off the bottom of the bodyshell.

Detail and transfers next with a coat of varnish to follow.

image.png.cf64ab98284f460a3f59371699982447.png

Edited by 97406
  • Like 4

On 28/03/2023 at 12:45, 97406 said:

Mine's coming along with the main spraying done. After painting the light grey, I masked the area off (with the roof all masked off from before) and sprayed the yellow ends and cab roofs.

I let it set, then masked off the cab roofs and all around the lower bodysides with the join 10mm from the bottom of the loco body and sprayed the dark grey.

Finally masked off around the cab windscreens and brushed black acrylic for the subtle effect from the prototype - they actually had black window surrounds, not dark grey. Also brushed the dangly bits off the bottom of the bodyshell.

Looking good. What base model was it? 006?

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, cairnsroadworks said:

Looking good. What base model was it? 006?

It was 87001 Stephenson/Royal Scot, It’s being backdated from a £99 special. The only downside it that is has lived in a drawer for over a year, and on opening it up I have found it’s missing one of the light guides for the marker/tail/headlamp. Hornby don’t have any spares, haven’t yet tried Peter’s spares, etc. It will have only the headlamp at one end for now as that’s got a new piece of acrylic rod in a short length of styrene tube to replace the square headlamp.

Oh dear. 87009 no. 2 arrived today and the paintwork is awful.  The lower grey is alnost an off white not light the light stone colour and im sure the first delivery was perfect on that score (wish i kept it now)  but worse still is that the red stripe on all 4 x cab doors is different to the main red stripes along the bodyside which are almost a maroon than a red....itll have to go back.  Hooefully 3rd time ill get lucky.  What a shame......

20230330_220555.jpg

Edited by ThaneofFife
Added detail

1 hour ago, ThaneofFife said:

Oh dear. 87009 no. 2 arrived today and the paintwork is awful.  The lower grey is alnost an off white not light the light stone colour and im sure the first delivery was perfect on that score (wish i kept it now)  but worse still is that the red stripe on all 4 x cab doors is different to the main red stripes along the bodyside which are almost a maroon than a red....itll have to go back.  Hooefully 3rd time ill get lucky.  What a shame......

20230330_220555.jpg

Mine is exactly the same with the red stripe.

IMG_3330.jpg

22 hours ago, 97406 said:

It was 87001 Stephenson/Royal Scot, It’s being backdated from a £99 special. The only downside it that is has lived in a drawer for over a year, and on opening it up I have found it’s missing one of the light guides for the marker/tail/headlamp. Hornby don’t have any spares, haven’t yet tried Peter’s spares, etc. It will have only the headlamp at one end for now as that’s got a new piece of acrylic rod in a short length of styrene tube to replace the square headlamp.

Those things are a nightmare. I lost one when I fitted sound to my first one. It was a miracle that I found it again. I am sure there are many of us with 1 missing, but it should have been there on a new purchase.

It would potentially be possible to 3d print a replacement in clear resin but I am not volunteering to design one even though it would not be too complex.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ThaneofFife said:

20230330_220555.jpg

How did they manage that?

I can't comment on the shade of light grey because I've not seen it, but surely a batch should be consistent within itself regarding the colours they use? I can understand things like smudges & marks happening though.

But the variation in colour between the red stripes is annoying? Why would they not print it in 1 process?

Hornby do give the impression that they have an attitude of "anywhere sort of close enough is good enough" for D&E, while they take far more care over steam models.

Seeing the issues with their 91 is sad because they prevented Cavalex from producing what I believe would have been a better model.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

1 hour ago, ThaneofFife said:

heres mine.....its gone back today and ive also written to Simon to bring it his attention.  its not acceptable on a £200 model.  im hoping its only affected a small batch and that i can get a replacement from a good run.

20230331_085114.jpg

I have a horrible feeling they might all be like that. I just cant understand why, had they made a mistake at the factory to apply the bodyside stripe first and then came back to do the cab door? Either way for over £200 its not acceptable and just gives more examples of where Hornby dont seem to care about what they throw out as products.

Edited by GordonC
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, GordonC said:

I have a horrible feeling they might all be like that. I just cant understand why, had they made a mistake at the factory to apply the bodyside stripe first and then came back to do the cab door? Either way for over £200 its not acceptable and just gives more examples of where Hornby dont seem to care about what they throw out as products.

Looking at the pictures on various online shops, they all seem to be like that.

Mmm, the different colour on the door is crass but, unless it's a quirk of the photo, the red and white stripes aft of the door look like they were applied by someone after they had been out on the lash and seem to be, as my old Norfolk neighbours used to say, "on the huh".

I had been considering this model as it fits my 1988 plans nicely, and I was going to finesse my Hornby protest by deliberately buying one from a bricks and mortar shop sticking a virtual two fingers up to their on line presence, especially as the supply issues do seem to have quietly been addressed.  However, this somewhat sneering attitude to D+E models of "That'll do" is increasingly annoying, demonstrates a condescending attitude to anyone not modelling steam that must emanate from the top and is driving us into the welcoming arms of other manufacturers.  It's also something the rabid Hornby fanw***kers just can't see is a problem so long as they get their pretty little kettles at regular intervals.  However, kettleistas won't be around for ever, the clock's ticking and if we've all gone elsewhere for our non-steam fix Hornby will be up a smelly creek with no means of steering.

• Agree 6

Also, whilst I'm having a rant, for the love of God why do Hornby think in this day and age having to unscrew a PCB board to access the 21 pin socket is in any way acceptable?  DCC is here to stay, we expect on locos of this price plug and play capability with adequate provision for noise.  Their Bluetooth chip system looks very promising and could be, should be a game changer but if you have to perform open heart surgery on your loco to fit it, the phrase "snatching defeat from the jaws of victory" springs to mind.

I think I need to lie down in a darkened room for an hour or two.

• Agree 6

16 hours ago, 97406 said:

Sounds like more cheap 87s on the way! Goody goody! 😁

well i am allowing either retailer or H or put it right and if they cant ill get my £188 back then if these arent recalled ill go to the bargain bin myself maybe pick one up again for £100 or so but  i aint paying top money for one like this.

it would need heavy weathering to hide this degree of error and i rather prefer the cleaner look of model loco.

• RMweb Gold
18 minutes ago, ThaneofFife said:

well i am allowing either retailer or H or put it right and if they cant ill get my £188 back then if these arent recalled ill go to the bargain bin myself maybe pick one up again for £100 or so but  i aint paying top money for one like this.

it would need heavy weathering to hide this degree of error and i rather prefer the cleaner look of model loco.

I'd send it back as well due to the price. The fix is to use transfers for the red/white striping and varnish over the top, but you shouldn't have to on such a pricey loco.

My £99 special is at the varnishing stage, and will be reassembled in the next couple of days - just waiting for the nameplates to finish things off.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Just about done - have a fine silver pen on order for the door handles. Had a lot of fun putting the windscreen glazing back in as it didn't like the extra thickness of paint around the cab fronts and it pushed chunks of paint off which wasn't good. I ended up filing around the panes at one end and made my own flush glazing for the other. I didn't get that with the other 87s I've resprayed.

Anyhow I rescued it!

image.png.55b6a0c533e6717c0211e7b37e37edf1.png

• Like 6
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

43 minutes ago, 97406 said:

Just about done - have a fine silver pen on order for the door handles. Had a lot of fun putting the windscreen glazing back in as it didn't like the extra thickness of paint around the cab fronts and it pushed chunks of paint off which wasn't good. I ended up filing around the panes at one end and made my own flush glazing for the other. I didn't get that with the other 87s I've resprayed.

Anyhow I rescued it!

image.png.55b6a0c533e6717c0211e7b37e37edf1.png

Very tasty!

On 28/03/2023 at 22:45, 97406 said:

How do you get off all the detail parts eg. Handrails cables etc? I've removed fire extinguishers and aerials off other 87s but i don't re-use them so  i'm not worried if i damage them (as i tend to 75% of the time). Handrails etc i'd be much more worried about.

Thanks

• RMweb Gold
48 minutes ago, WolfofBadenoch said:

How do you get off all the detail parts eg. Handrails cables etc? I've removed fire extinguishers and aerials off other 87s but i don't re-use them so  i'm not worried if i damage them (as i tend to 75% of the time). Handrails etc i'd be much more worried about.

Thanks

Door handrails were prized off gently with a craft knife blade at either end. You can make replacements from 0.3mm wire if need be too.

The detail off the ends was selectively removed and the holes filled with Miliput/car body filler. The large horizontal handrail was replaced with one made from 0.7mm nickel silver wire with 0.3mm pegs to sit in the original handrail’s holes, as the originals broke on removal. In fact all my 86s and 87s have replacement handrails like this.

I didn’t remove all the roof detail as it tends to break, meaning I couldn’t strip the paint, which is why I had the problems with putting the glazing back in so that’s a thing to watch out for. The advantage of the matt black window surrounds is that it was easy to rub around the chips in the paint and brush fresh acrylic matt black over the damage. I also used a black sharpie a lot on the edges of the glazing and the insides of the windscreen pillars.

The original model didn’t have the original MW equipment, but I used a set off a Heljan 86. Also, I have a set of silicone moulds off a Hornby class 50 that I can use to make them out of car body filler as well with fuse wire for the cable. Stick the painted MW equipment on with epoxy after painting the model. I recommend painting the cab front area with enamel as this means that you can remove any excess epoxy with a small brush and IPA once it has started to cure.

Here’s a pic of another one that I backdated when it was being done, with rubbish Limby class 92 pantograph that is now replaced with a Heljan one. Let me know if you need any more info.

1273466146_DSCF0381-Copy.JPG.0e41c5076607fb1ca1f4a4acd3759d73.JPG

Edited by 97406
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1