Hornby Class 87 - Confirmed Newly Tooled Version for 2017 !

ThaneofFife

On 26/02/2023 at 19:55, ThaneofFife said:

With these new models now featuring a 21 pin dcc socket i was wondering whether these are physically bigger than the 8 pins which i believe were really hard to get to fit inside the model.....if 21 is larger wont this just make it harder if Hornby havent made a bit more space available too?

There would have to be an interior re-design for a 21 pin decoder, because it was not possible for the decoder to sit on top of the PCB, which is the only place a 21 pin chip can go. There was instead a pocket near the side of the chassis, but it was only just big enough for a Loksound micro.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 19/01/2023 at 17:22, cairnsroadworks said:

Here’s one of them!

055B6DD8-B980-47BA-930B-ED453F029415.jpeg

This repaint looks superb! Great job.

But the more liveries I see the Hornby 87 in, the more convinced I am that the cab profile is not right. It just seems too curved. I thought it with the EP and did say so to Hornby, and it does seem more apparent in some liveries than others. Anyone else agree?

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

On 11/03/2023 at 20:59, VXDH92 said:

But the more liveries I see the Hornby 87 in, the more convinced I am that the cab profile is not right. It just seems too curved. I thought it with the EP and did say so to Hornby, and it does seem more apparent in some liveries than others. Anyone else agree?

Thank you, very kind 😃

• RMweb Gold
On 11/03/2023 at 20:59, VXDH92 said:

The lower edge of the cab roof on the real thing goes up in the middle and it has the shape of a shallow inverted ‘V’. It would be an absolute devil to rectify, and it still looks close to an 87, far closer than a certain other manufacturer’s recent efforts with some of their new models.

Edited by 97406
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, BR(S) said:

After showing pre-order status on the Hornby website for a long time after the Engine Shed blog said they'd arrived, 87009 and 87006 are now showing as in stock.  Hopefully in the shops soon. 

Both loco’s now showing ‘Out of Stock’

Hornby appear to be teasing us! 🤪

• RMweb Gold

Just clicked on and showing as in stock (again)!

Edit- checked again and out of stock so I either missed the little sign last time or it’s changed again.

Edited by Markwj

12 hours ago, Markwj said:

Just clicked on and showing as in stock (again)!

Edit- checked again and out of stock so I either missed the little sign last time or it’s changed again.

Both class 87 diesels are showing as in stock this morning!

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, scouse889 said:

Both class 87 diesels are showing as in stock this morning!

Nope when you click actually onto the individual product page next to the price it shows out of stock but when you just search class 87 and you get the various options it no longer says out of stock there.

• Funny 1

Well with all the recent "is it in stock or not?" shenanigans lately i wont believe it till i see it.   If you can post some pics when they arrive that would be great.  I hope the fronts on 87006 are done correctly (no TDM) plus I dont think TDM was fitted to 87009 either in the exec livery bit 006 definitely never had it in large logo.

Mind you the website did say Spring gor the release of both 87s and that Spring officially starts in just 4 days time.  Time to shell out the £400 odd for them.   I hope theyve upgraded the decoder space.

8 hours ago, ThaneofFife said:

Well with all the recent "is it in stock or not?" shenanigans lately i wont believe it till i see it.

We’ve got the 87s in stock,

the 87s out,

in stock,

out of stock,

maybe some about?

The DCC decoder socket may have turned around,

that’s what it’s all about!

Sorry, couldn’t resist! 😁

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 5

A small saving over the newer pricing as its pre order with kernow but my 87s are on the way.....its the large logo one i cant wait to remove from the box......hopefully here by the weekend. 

Who'd have thought it 87006 in rtr 00

21 hours ago, Markwj said:

Photo of the city of Glasgow model on the sawyer models website

http://sawyermodels.co.uk/?product=r30030-Hornby-br-large-logo-class-87-city-of-glasgow-87006

Did we decide the doors should be black?

mark

edit just found some prototype pics whole side should be black!

The sides were Exec Dark Grey not black? Can’t find any evidence of the black doors alas. 

12 minutes ago, Gtucker72 said:

When the catalogue came out the punters emailed to say 87006’s doors were not black, but Exec Grey.  They said, we’ll fix it.   Guess what.

Order cancelled.

244D5091-3EB9-4311-B5F5-B056538B50F4.jpeg

Interesting colours on the top half of those springs and along the top step of the cab steps. Did it get spray painted into this livery and thats bodyside overspray?

• RMweb Gold
47 minutes ago, cairnsroadworks said:

The sides were Exec Dark Grey not black? Can’t find any evidence of the black doors alas. 

thanks the pic I looked at appeared to be black but essentially they should be the same colour whatever

2 hours ago, Gtucker72 said:

When the catalogue came out the punters emailed to say 87006’s doors were not black, but Exec Grey.  They said, we’ll fix it.   Guess what.

Order cancelled.

244D5091-3EB9-4311-B5F5-B056538B50F4.jpeg

F43EE206-EC50-48FB-A912-68102D4155EE.jpeg

So is that a friends model given you cancelled your own order?