Hornby Class 87 - Confirmed Newly Tooled Version for 2017 !

ThaneofFife

• RMweb Gold
On 31/03/2023 at 09:02, Pete the Elaner said:

Those things are a nightmare. I lost one when I fitted sound to my first one. It was a miracle that I found it again. I am sure there are many of us with 1 missing, but it should have been there on a new purchase.

It would potentially be possible to 3d print a replacement in clear resin but I am not volunteering to design one even though it would not be too complex.

It’s a very precise assembly but was missing when I popped the body off for the first time. I can’t really send it back this long after buying it, and there’s no replacements in stock so it just has the headlight at the number 2 end for now. I have a lighting kit for the Lima 87 that may go in, but the tail LEDs are the wrong polarity. Still, can’t complain for a £99 loco.

• RMweb Gold

Some of the details like the windscreen wipers and roof insulators can be pushed out from behind using a piece of wire or a drill bit back-to-front in a pin vice. Beware of the carpet monster whilst doing such things!

Edited by 97406
  • Like 1

On 25/03/2023 at 19:51, cairnsroadworks said:

Interesting stuff. Hard to tell from pics of the model re the doors as on some they don’t look black 🤣

I wonder if they may have been repainted at some point. This picture is definitely grey, but there is blue showing through so maybe a quick touch up on the doors in black did occur??

Screenshot_20230402_085809_Flickr.jpg

15 hours ago, 97406 said:

Just about done - have a fine silver pen on order for the door handles. Had a lot of fun putting the windscreen glazing back in as it didn't like the extra thickness of paint around the cab fronts and it pushed chunks of paint off which wasn't good. I ended up filing around the panes at one end and made my own flush glazing for the other. I didn't get that with the other 87s I've resprayed.

Anyhow I rescued it!

image.png.55b6a0c533e6717c0211e7b37e37edf1.png

lovely job on that 87. this is how Hornby should have done it.    looking at their inter city Swallow liveried version from the first of the newly tooled batch back in 2018 of 87 010 they got the red stripe right - correct colour right across the whole model.  I'm keen to hear from Simon this week as I think when he gets to see the artwork and approval sample that got signed off he might well create a Kohler sized hole in the roof at Hornby HQ.  If its the correct consistent red across the artwork and the factory have done it wrong then its tin hat time for somebody but at least a local Kent roofing company will have a high profile roofing job on the books.......   wonder how many they produced of 009?

• Agree 1

24 minutes ago, ThaneofFife said:

lovely job on that 87. this is how Hornby should have done it.    looking at their inter city Swallow liveried version from the first of the newly tooled batch back in 2018 of 87 010 they got the red stripe right - correct colour right across the whole model.  I'm keen to hear from Simon this week as I think when he gets to see the artwork and approval sample that got signed off he might well create a Kohler sized hole in the roof at Hornby HQ.  If its the correct consistent red across the artwork and the factory have done it wrong then its tin hat time for somebody but at least a local Kent roofing company will have a high profile roofing job on the books.......   wonder how many they produced of 009?

There were issues with the width of the stripes on that one. I had a shocker of one where the red stripe was narrower than the white one 🤣

• RMweb Gold

The Executive livery on the Heljan 86 is wrong as well - the grey band starts a couple of scale inches too high, and it alters the character of it subtly. Also the black window surrounds are missing so I've partially resprayed mine and used (Fox) transfers for lining.

image.png.4bf98471c0e9fd1ad0de966e8e9508b4.png

Edited by 97406
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, cairnsroadworks said:

There were issues with the width of the stripes on that one. I had a shocker of one where the red stripe was narrower than the white one 🤣

Gatwick Express livery!

• Funny 1

5 hours ago, ThaneofFife said:

A Kohler sized hole in the roof would implied he cared. To be honest, there have been far too many c0ck-ups that I dont believe they possibly can care in general and certainly not about D+E models. A mistake can happen to any manufacturer, but repeated on one release after another? Its shameful

• Agree 1

9 minutes ago, wombatofludham said:

Mr Kohler's first duty is to his shareholders, not us.  Add in a pro-steam bias he admitted to on video and I suspect the roof at Westwood Towers is safe.

You would think at some point a need to keep buyers happy would kick in, but obviously not. Hornby can die out with the kettleistas.

1 hour ago, GordonC said:

You would think at some point a need to keep buyers happy would kick in, but obviously not. Hornby can die out with the kettleistas.

The issue is that they’ll release a new version on a diesel/electric and charge over £200 for it and people still buy them. Once that stops in might change but it won’t stop because of the personality traits of the must have everything collecting modeller. 

• Agree 1

On 02/04/2023 at 09:51, PM47079 said:

I wonder if they may have been repainted at some point. This picture is definitely grey, but there is blue showing through so maybe a quick touch up on the doors in black did occur??

Screenshot_20230402_085809_Flickr.jpg

Doors never repainted.  Pictures of it only ever show same colour doors as the body.  Hornby just made the black doors up.

Given they’ve messed up the doors on 87006 and 87009, maybe they should try some form of enhanced quality checks in that area.

For a £200 model it is totally unacceptable.

The cab doors must've been black at some point, even if not for the entire duration it wore that livery, as the pictures (not mine) below show.

I admit the colour is only VERY slightly different to the bodysides, and you do have to look for it, but the difference is there.

My Dad has just purchased this model and is very happy with it, and I think Hornby should be praised for picking up this little detail. Hornby aren't a perfect company by any means but credit where it's due.

1431361006_IMG-20230331-WA00262.jpg.52093f49f1e05949ac1cc3dc93d3513b.jpg

692139968_Screenshot_20230404-1935183.png.c18c6ce033b044f85ca8869fc861a7ac.png

2059607721_Screenshot_20230404-1937223.png.ec7f92493d9e979ddc4c9a749f4ec9bc.png

1029087370_Screenshot_20230404-1935362.png.a58b4991f191ba0c049dff14583196e0.png

Edited by Great Waterton
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Great Waterton said:

The cab doors must've been black at some point, even if not for the entire duration it wore that livery, as the pictures (not mine) below show.

I admit the colour is only VERY slightly different to the bodysides, and you do have to look for it, but the difference is there.

My Dad has just purchased this model and is very happy with it, and I think Hornby should be praised for picking up this little detail. Hornby aren't a perfect company by any means but credit where it's due.

1431361006_IMG-20230331-WA00262.jpg.52093f49f1e05949ac1cc3dc93d3513b.jpg

692139968_Screenshot_20230404-1935183.png.c18c6ce033b044f85ca8869fc861a7ac.png

2059607721_Screenshot_20230404-1937223.png.ec7f92493d9e979ddc4c9a749f4ec9bc.png

1029087370_Screenshot_20230404-1935362.png.a58b4991f191ba0c049dff14583196e0.png

I think all that those photos do is confirm they’re not black… window surrounds yes, doors no. Second from top pic especially it is clear that the doors are the same as the body. 

The other thing to remember that it only wore the livery for a year or less so the only repainting that was done was into IC as per 87012. 

Edited by cairnsroadworks

20 minutes ago, Great Waterton said:

They look black to me, or at least a very dark shade that's fractionally darker than the main bodysides, and certainly the same colour as the cab windows.

1691973339_IMG-20230331-WA00263.jpg.34c4f43f9b5c8f498b0f916167c26331.jpg

As long as you - and your Dad - are happy that’s all that matters at the end of the day. Having repainted several models into this scheme in the past I’m in no doubt that the doors were the same colour as the bodysides, and I’ve yet to see a picture that changes that view, including the ones you’ve shown above, which in my view show the doors the same as the bodysides. There’s countless others on Flickr which show no difference whatsoever. 

Carlisle

in nice light you can even see the blue already coming through too 😃

35 minutes ago, Great Waterton said:

They look black to me, or at least a very dark shade that's fractionally darker than the main bodysides, and certainly the same colour as the cab windows.

1691973339_IMG-20230331-WA00263.jpg.34c4f43f9b5c8f498b0f916167c26331.jpg

I’ll agree to disagree.  I saw the loco in 1984, have my own photos and know my own mind.  I will not be paying the money.

If you are happy, that is fine.  Enjoy your loco.

Moving along from the adamancy over the doors black or grey on 87 006...... The reply from Hornby on sister loco 87 009......

The red stripes are slightly different in reds (i'll say!) due to a "limitation of manufacture".  One has been applied in gloss the other in a slight matt.   The cab doors stripes are sprayed on while the main body stripe is printed on.

ok....so I dont understand it either but apparently thats why the 2 differ.

Simon K has offered to let them repaint the cab door stripes but my models already gone back to Kernow now and I have my refund.  It would be a gamble to let them repaint a new model anyway unless others have some personal experience of this on this or another model....

My real beef here is that when the Swallow version of 87 010 came out in 2018 they seemed to have got the red stripe spot on there so this just seems very odd to me that the paint processes on 87 009 is ether different or theyve not thought the new process through to ensure uniformity of colour or finish.....

What a shame.  If i buy a bargain bin one I may take him up on his offer but for now no chance.  It should have been right from the factory.......I still put this down to quality control over limitation of manufacture......

• Agree 1
  • Funny 1

And fwiw I think everyone is right on the door colours for 87 006!.....all photos ive now seen on 87 006 with black doors are on the corridor side. The grey doors seem to be on the opposite side....... 

I think Hornby have gone down the right route on this model.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, ThaneofFife said:

Moving along from the adamancy over the doors black or grey on 87 006...... The reply from Hornby on sister loco 87 009......

The red stripes are slightly different in reds (i'll say!) due to a "limitation of manufacture".  One has been applied in gloss the other in a slight matt.   The cab doors stripes are sprayed on while the main body stripe is printed on.

ok....so I dont understand it either but apparently thats why the 2 differ.

Simon K has offered to let them repaint the cab door stripes but my models already gone back to Kernow now and I have my refund.  It would be a gamble to let them repaint a new model anyway unless others have some personal experience of this on this or another model....

My real beef here is that when the Swallow version of 87 010 came out in 2018 they seemed to have got the red stripe spot on there so this just seems very odd to me that the paint processes on 87 009 is ether different or theyve not thought the new process through to ensure uniformity of colour or finish.....

What a shame.  If i buy a bargain bin one I may take him up on his offer but for now no chance.  It should have been right from the factory.......I still put this down to quality control over limitation of manufacture......

It's very annoying when they do things like this. Rather like how they got the FGW "Fag Packet" stuff right many years ago but then made a right hash of it this time. 🤦‍♂️ I'm pleased Mr Kohler has responded but it feels like a bit of a cop out to me.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, ThaneofFife said:

And fwiw I think everyone is right on the door colours for 87 006!.....all photos ive now seen on 87 006 with black doors are on the corridor side. The grey doors seem to be on the opposite side....... 

I think Hornby have gone down the right route on this model.

I bet they got repainted black as they didn’t prepare the surfaces too well and the new paintwork chipped off. I also suppose Executive dark grey was not widely available whilst BR was still experimenting with liveries. 87006 is on my wishlist, but with grey doors as I believe the original scheme to be. I may end up respraying one myself if one becomes available cheap!