Hornby Class 87 - Confirmed Newly Tooled Version for 2017 !

ThaneofFife

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, scumcat said:

Finally got around to a job that I’ve wanted to do for a little while improving the class 87 pantograph. I chose the latest Helijan class 86 pantograph. It fits it’s a bit more chunky but a lot more durable. I am more than pleased with the results

2F5E4887-E69D-4834-A029-3BD0612769D2.jpeg

7964A594-FDB1-47CF-BDA5-5F9BAC141F3A.jpeg

That looks so much better.

Coincidentally I got a Helijan BW pan through the post today. I was going to use it on a part-built Bratchell 321 kit (if I can still find all the parts for it 🤭) but seeing that has given me second thoughts.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Pete the Elaner said:

That looks so much better.

Coincidentally I got a Helijan BW pan through the post today. I was going to use it on a part-built Bratchell 321 kit (if I can still find all the parts for it 🤭) but seeing that has given me second thoughts.

Seeing it cost me £50 for a pair of pantograph’s!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, scumcat said:

As a spare the Helijan pantograph is expensive however I got the loco for a bargain when they we’re being sold off so it was worth doing the upgrade.

I’ve done just the same. A backdated £99 special!DSCF0581.JPG.295690a9e33b23a6fb516a323d5950b3.JPG

I have another which will go into IC Executive at some point.

Edited by 97406
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

With these new models now featuring a 21 pin dcc socket i was wondering whether these are physically bigger than the 8 pins which i believe were really hard to get to fit inside the model.....if 21 is larger wont this just make it harder if Hornby havent made a bit more space available too?

1 hour ago, ThaneofFife said:

With these new models now featuring a 21 pin dcc socket i was wondering whether these are physically bigger than the 8 pins which i believe were really hard to get to fit inside the model.....if 21 is larger wont this just make it harder if Hornby havent made a bit more space available too?

I would hope that Hornby has made provision for easily fitting a a speaker as well as a decoder. It would be silly not to. Ah, silly … Class 87 diesel. Hm.

It seems the 91 is a diesel too. At least it’s consistent.

Edited by No Decorum
Noticed the 91.
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

Despite the engine shed announcing the arrival of the class 87 (although in diesel form) they are still showing as for pre order on the Hornby site. So are they here , imminent or what?

Does anyone know what it means?

(Actually Hornby probably do but no time to ring them in the day maybe I will email in).