Hornby Princess Coronation Class (Duchess)

Dick Turpin

I feel Hornby still has some way to go:

38490388821_3588e064d6_c.jpg
Hornby Quality Control- or lack of?

Returned to the retailer who has now kindly refunded saying the following:

We have attempted to remove the imperfections on the loco, and it doesn't appear that we can do anything I'm afraid. We don't want to use chemicals to remove the marks in case it affects the body work.

I've spoken to Hornby who said they are not able to offer any assistance either.

It's Ray's money and he's fully entitled to a refund or replacement should he wish it, I can't help thinking though that someone somewhere is gonna pick that one up, slap some weathering powder on it and be very happy indeed.

C6T.

• RMweb Premium

What imperfections?

Has he looked closely at a prototype, nominally ex-works loco - or even a good photo of one back in the 1950s / 60s?

Before it even moved under its own steam, it would be splattered with smuts and dirty condensate.

Out-of-the-box models are TOO pristine, and look like nothing that ever ran in service.

.... but if it's just for sitting in a display case whilst gloating, perhaps he has a point !

Regards,

John isherwood.

• Like 1

I'm not sure I understand your rationale re the above.

Why would anyone accept a item which has glue marks on it as acceptable?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the loco is modelled in "pristine condition" and that is what I expect when I open the box.

How will we ever improve QC if we accept such imperfections, even though the loco is in short supply?

After all, the retailer will not be the loser, he will simply return it to Hornby as substandard and be credited on his invoice.

• RMweb Gold

Ray is a long time member of this forum and an experienced modeller who has an extensive working layout,.Videos of this are available.To suggest this model is for cabinet display is just plain wrong. If the finish of this model is unacceptable to him then that's his decision.Many modellers do not want to weather their stock.

• Like 2

Unfortunately this model has been and gone, however it can still be sourced at some outlets which are "Well North" of RRP.

Yes I know you just beat me to editing my post I meant to say NRM 46229  there website is showing none in stock.

Edited by paul 27

• RMweb Premium

Ray is a long time member of this forum and an experienced modeller who has an extensive working layout,.Videos of this are available.To suggest this model is for cabinet display is just plain wrong. If the finish of this model is unacceptable to him then that's his decision.Many modellers do not want to weather their stock.

None of this is doubted - I included the conditional word "if" when I mentioned gloating. If the "if" does not apply, neither does that part of my comment.

In a situation such as this, the customer has the unalienable right to return the item as unsatisfactory though, increasingly, the chances of obtaining a replacement are becoming more remote.

We each make our own decisions in those circumstances - I just question the value of publicising that decision to fellow customers.

Much more would be achieved by a 'no-holds-barred' e-mail addressed to the MD of the company. Mark the missive "For the personal attention of (A.N. OTHER), Managing Director, (XYZ) Company Limited". (The MD's name is dead easy to discover in this internet age).

It works for me !!

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• Like 1

....Many modellers do not want to weather their stock.

Everyone to their own but surely the idea is to hopefully recreate a little of the past or of what you remember?

If that's the case some soot on the cab roof and coal in the tender would be the least that would be required.

post-2371-0-40010200-1511567361_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Everyone to their own but surely the idea is to hopefully recreate a little of the past or of what you remember?

If that's the case some soot on the cab roof and coal in the tender would be the least that would be required.

attachicon.gifIMG_1394.jpg

Nice weathering.

Your photo also shows up a bit of a dilemma for me, in that the thickness of the roof vent moulding is obvious from this angle. Would I rather have the operational realism of opening roof hatches, or the more visual accuracy of a thinner hatch that doesn’t open?

My preference would be the latter.

Phil.

Yes I know you just beat me to editing my post I meant to say NRM 46229  there website is showing none in stock.

I ordered and paid for one, and I'm waiting on them calling me when it is in stock, as i'll be going to collect it. it was due into stock w/c 13th, but these things can and do get delayed. 

Paul. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Just posted picked mine up from the stand. Lovely model - the subtle varnish brings even deeper lustre to Hornbys spot on rendition of BR maroon. Plenty for sale at the moment but it is only 1030. Don’t expect these will take long to shift. Very nice packaging too :)

Edited to correct my awful typos and inability to read autocorrect without my glasses on!

post-1047-0-19932800-1511605229_thumb.jpeg

Edited by MikeParkin65
  • Like 7

I ordered and paid for one, and I'm waiting on them calling me when it is in stock, as i'll be going to collect it. it was due into stock w/c 13th, but these things can and do get delayed.

Paul.

Waiting for the same Paul, think it will Monday or Tuesday before we get a call as we know the team are at Warley.

Craig

Edited by 43078shildoncountydurham

Paul.

Waiting for the same Paul, think it will Monday or Tuesday before we get a call as we know the team are at Warley.

Craig

On Locomotion RM Web site , sent out models on Friday, expect delivery Monday 27 November, they also e-mailed me with the former.

Nice weathering.

Your photo also shows up a bit of a dilemma for me, in that the thickness of the roof vent moulding is obvious from this angle. Would I rather have the operational realism of opening roof hatches, or the more visual accuracy of a thinner hatch that doesn’t open?

My preference would be the latter.

Phil.

I know what you mean but the image is pretty exaggerated being zoomed in and it really doesn't look so bad from a normal viewing distance.

The internal cab detail is superb and the open roof showcases this well so I favour the open positioning.

post-2371-0-22263700-1511619720_thumb.jpg

I may well fit with finer brass replacements in the near future as they shouldn't  be too difficult to fabricate however as said it doesn't look as bad when viewed from a different angle.

Like you I am not a fan of thick mouldings and still intend to replace the deflectors good as they are plus I would love to do something with the tender side sheets but reluctant to start something that I might make an a**e of.. ending up with a new

brass tender!

As a friend who has a very well known 70ft long EM scale representation of a certain location on the ECML said to me....'​Dave if some bu***r can spot incorrect brake rodding or the like on a tender of an A4 passing here at 60 mph then thats their

problem' ..so Ill take his advice and roster Sir W to the non stops!

Dave.   

• Like 1

46229  Duchess of Hamilton, was described by David Jenkinson in the leading LNWR coach as making a stupendous noise as the train climbed to Diggle through Greenfield on 11th November 1980.  I drove over from Wales just in time to take this photo before having a new car windscreen fitted that had been hit by a brick on the motorway....

post-6680-0-30129400-1511621889_thumb.jpg

Scanned from one of David's books.

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold

46229  Duchess of Hamilton, was described by David Jenkinson in the leading LNWR coach as making a stupendous noise as the train climbed to Diggle through Greenfield on 11th November 1980.  I drove over from Wales just in time to take this photo before having a new car windscreen fitted that had been hit by a brick on the motorway....

attachicon.gifWEB Duchess @ Greenfield.jpg

Scanned from one of David's books.

Magnificent photo

• RMweb Gold

I think if you want a 46229 in Maroon, you don’t that much time to waste.

They were going so fast at one point they were going from the cardboard box straight to a carrier bag without even reaching the table one after another.

The LMS Black one at Rails seemed to be turnover quite well today, they mentioned the Q1 33001 has almost sold out.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1