Hornby Princess Coronation Class (Duchess)

Dick Turpin

... I thought they made a scan of this model though dimension wise it looks the same as the earlier one.

Which would suggest the original was more or less spot on.

On the quality issues with the mail order locos did anyone have problems with locos supplied direct from Hornby?

It sounded like all the ones mentioned had come via retailers or is this just coincidence?

Dave.

On the quality issues with the mail order locos did anyone have problems with locos supplied direct from Hornby?

It sounded like all the ones mentioned had come via retailers or is this just coincidence?

Our sample was direct from Hornby and exhibited a few problems.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=mjD78f2GMO0"]https://youtube.com/watch?v=mjD78f2GMO0

• RMweb Gold

Our sample was direct from Hornby and exhibited a few problems.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=mjD78f2GMO0"]https://youtube.com/watch?v=mjD78f2GMO0

Again a very useful review. Just been rechecking my second example which was bought after an inspection and test run at Hereford Model Centre. Mine is a smooth starter on DC. The same left hand rear driver has the slightest concentricity, I dont know if I would have noticed had it not been on the rolling road.  I have yet to fit DCC so can't test on the layout yet. I've got to say I am nervous handling the model knowing that the first example I had arrived with the body lug broken. The loco is heavy and that lug is holding a lot of weight - I do think this would be better with the lug made of metal locating into a pocket on the plastic body. Likewise there is no need for the tender to be an interference fit to the chassis - why not have screws at each end so the body can be simply lifted off? The tender coupling not fitting in the shorter setting is an easy fix but frustrating in a top notch model that isnt cheap. So much care has clearly gone into getting the detail and livery correct its almost as if there was then sudden pressure to get the model on sale before 'snagging' was complete.

I should count myself lucky then as I naively opened mine direct from Hornby rightly expecting to find everything pristine and in working order..it was!

I suppose it makes up for the two Black 5s that destroyed their valve gear and continue to try my patience.

Dave. 

Hello Mike

I thought the same - I was clutching at straws that it might be the easier of the two solutions. Thanks for sharing your findings - most helpful.

If you read the alternate thread you will see that the water scoop was missing from the Duchess and that within 24 hours 'Locomotion' have provided a replacement engine.  Well done 'Locomotion'.

Before you ask - yes I have stood it on a glass plate!  For all practical purposes all the wheels sit in contact with the plate - and it runs quite nicely!

Ray

• Like 2

That guy on the video has NO idea how to handle or work on a model !!!!

I spent most of the time cringing watching this video as he dropped and graunched  the model !!!

I'm sure the info given is fine, but what a butcher :-0

Dropped it? When?

You're talking out of your hat.

He dropped it at 5.06 on the pliers !!

Not only that, what about the 'grabbing' and pulling of the plug with pliers (4.35) or the wrenching of the tender body with screwdriver ?

There is a tool for getting the plug out part number X6468 !

Edited by swiftbeam

Lest we forget.........Hornby is a well-known toy manufacturer in the public's eyes and their locos are expected to be handled by children above a certain age. Whether that age has been raised to 40 or not I dont know,  :mosking: nevertheless, something appears to be knocking the legs from under the players even before they touch them. 

Edited by coachmann

Dropped it? When?

I find myself (surprisingly) in agreement with 'swiftbeam' - I too winced through most of the video.

SWS is a piece of precision engineering - not a back street banger !

That levering of the tender body with a screwdriver should be reported to the RSPCML (Model Locomotives)!

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• Like 2

That levering of the tender body with a screwdriver should be reported to the RSPCML (Model Locomotives)!

Maybe I should have let you suffer with 5 minutes of pussyfooting around trying to do it gently like I did first time around. Trust me, I went to the brute force solution in the video to show how hard it was to get into it - completely unnecessary considering how many people would want to get in there to fit a decoder.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Not a fan of box opening , you just feel like saying oh just get on with it. But I wouldn't be so dismissive of these videos. They do tend to show up any issues in running . Have a look at YouTube on Hornbys latest 14xx for instance.

• RMweb Gold

Dropped it? When?

At 5:06 the tender falls about 1/4" on to the work surface as the screw holding the loco-tender link finally is unscrewed. I don't think that is quite the same as "dropping" it though.

Well Gents, we await your video reviews to show us how it should be done. They will be flawless we know.

Somebody has gone to the trouble of taking the model apart, highlighting some of the difficulties and identifying an issue or two and people can only bitch that it was ‘dropped’ and are outraged that screws were left around! Special tools indeed, I’ve been pulling those plugs off with sharp nosed pliers for years without problems.

Andy, thanks. It was an interesting review and the identification of the tender body removal issue in particular will be useful when I’m prising it off. Otherwise I’d have been wondering had I missed a hidden screw or something.