Photos from the 1970s

• RMweb Premium

might have just been an instamatic, but given the right conditions you could still get cracking pics, as shown above.

After all, the format was basically a square version of 35mm (ie 4x4 prints instead of 6x4)

The later 110 format was bad enough, but they managed to top that with the Disc film!

Btw I've heard of camera buffs loading 35mm film into 126 cartridges to give more film choice, especially since 126 became more scarce

• 5 months later...

Time for a few more.  This time Edinburgh Waverley in 1975:

35785796332_937e3d6a35_b.jpg

35785792832_504e88d79a_b.jpg

35956203985_4706bcda1e_b.jpg

35823969991_7d6fd2e824_b.jpg

35785804272_7ec26eec4c_b.jpg

Great pics. Mind you, most of them would also fit in the When the Real Thing Looks Like a Model thread :D

Great pics. Mind you, most of them would also fit in the When the Real Thing Looks Like a Model thread :D

I hadn't thought of that but, now that you mention it....

The first three were taken from Calton Hill with a 200mm lens.

Time for a few more.  This time Edinburgh Waverley in 1975:

35823969991_7d6fd2e824_b.jpg

Now when did you see a model with realistically lit marker lights like that? Almost invariably they have ridiculously blazing searchlights!

Now when did you see a model with realistically lit marker lights like that? Almost invariably they have ridiculously blazing searchlights!

I was looking more at the first pic, with the Lima diesels, the clearly unprototypical Peco point geometry, the acres of uniform, flat ballast and the bus-on-a-bridge cliche backdrop :D.

• 1 month later...

Not got many decent 70s pics as all I had back then was a Kodak Instamatic but here are a few

55 009 Alycidon at Doncaster 31-08-79

31485540314_d9a29a2b91_b.jpgAlycidon at Doncaster by Stephen Dance, on Flickr

Note the rare  sight of one of those  elusive On-Track Machines tamping  the Down Fast,  a plain-line  Tamper  possibly by Plasser & Theurer

Edited by Pandora
  • Like 2

Here are some more cars from the 1970s

attachicon.gifscan0181 (2).jpg

37274 approaches Pontypridd with a coal train from one of the Rhondda Valley pits, 10/9/79

cheers   The billboard is advertising  Hemel, a short-lived zero-alcohol content "lager"  sold in pubs, Hemeling was the tag line for drinking Hemel  in the television adverts,  not much to be cheerful about. with Hemel.

That track machine at Doncaster is a Plasser & Theurer machine but it's a liner rather than a tamper. Before they were introduced lining was done by eye after the tampers had done their work. These Plasser & Theurer AL203 machines were built from 1964 with the later machines built at Shrewsbury by Rolls Royce (in the old Sentinel works). They (and the slightly revised AL250s) soon became redundant as later machines were able to tamp and line. The photo nicely illustrates the relative small size of these earlier machines compared to the giants of today.

Nice photo!

Hywel

I remember back in the '70s after the mainline steam ban was lifted there were seemingly endless photos in 'Railway Magazine' of preserved locos with rakes of blue and grey stock trailing behind on railtours, it all looked a little incongruous at the time but rather quaint now, looking back. If you modelled such a formation now, some folk would no doubt question your marbles!

• RMweb Gold

I remember back in the '70s after the mainline steam ban was lifted there were seemingly endless photos in 'Railway Magazine' of preserved locos with rakes of blue and grey stock trailing behind on railtours, it all looked a little incongruous at the time but rather quaint now, looking back. If you modelled such a formation now, some folk would no doubt question your marbles!

Most depots in those days still had rakes of b/g liveried steam heated vacuum braked mk1s for excursion and charter work, often 'B' rated stock limited to 75mph running, usually with B1 bogies.  These was ideal for steam excursion work.  I always thought that 'Sir Nigel Gresley', in her blue livery, looked particularly at home with these rakes.

The days of depots having spare stock are long gone on the pared down hyper-efficient railway where the sidings they occupied have all been sold off for development.

Going back to post #33.  Wouldn't the class 47 still have an operating head code in 1975?

Unfortunately I hadn't dated any of my photos (the Dundee ones were easy to date as I just had to check when the Forth and Tay excursion ran to find out when I took them) and I was just going off my memory but, you're right, reporting numbers were in use up until the beginning of 1976 so it couldn't have been 1975.  The photos were still taken in the 1970s though, but must have been late 1977 or, less likely, early 1978.  The last one, looking over the roof of Waverley station was, I'm pretty certain, earlier, and would have been 1975.