Photos from the 1970s

I have been scanning a number of my old slides and black and white negatives which, in the case of my UK material, is all from the 1970s.  As that is the one decade I can't find a thread for here, I'm starting a new thread.

First up, Brechin station in 1975, while it was still in (occasional) use by B.R.:

post-30099-0-88624400-1481459452_thumb.jpg

• Like 14

I would agree that the car at the end is a Renault 12.  The Ford in the middle was the car I had at the time.  It was a very early Consul Cortina Mark Ia, with a 1200cc engine.  It would have been a 1962 model, as it lacked the letter at the end of the number plate - the registration was XHS 119, a Glasgow registration I think from memory, although I bought it in Montrose.  It looked really good and went well, but it was held together by body filler.....

• RMweb Gold

I would agree that the car at the end is a Renault 12.  The Ford in the middle was the car I had at the time.  It was a very early Consul Cortina Mark Ia, with a 1200cc engine.  It would have been a 1962 model, as it lacked the letter at the end of the number plate - the registration was XHS 119, a Glasgow registration I think from memory, although I bought it in Montrose.  It looked really good and went well, but it was held together by body filler.....

Must have been a common Cortina Mk1 of the era failing. my Dad had 136 FWT in a similar string and sealing wax condition, one of the MOT floorpan weldathons started with the instruction; remove front and rear numberplates.

Mike.

Rather liked the old Dolomites.

First one was 1500 in purple and girlfriend at the time (now wife) thought a Dr would have better car! DSG 617S finally died in snowy spin on A74 circa 1988! Ownwer survived.

Also had access to one of the 1850 HL jobs (T reg from memory)and still managed to wind her up to 100mph on M8

Early days Strathspey, well remember 5025 working a bit later say 1978 ish

Edited by DOCJACOB

Must have been a common Cortina Mk1 of the era failing. my Dad had 136 FWT in a similar string and sealing wax condition, one of the MOT floorpan weldathons started with the instruction; remove front and rear numberplates.

Mike.

It was a common complaint of most cars at the time; none of the protective coatings one sees nowadays. I remember an aunt hiring a Sunbeam Rapier; she caught the front wing a glancing blow, and both wings immediately crumbled. Lynne had a Mk1 Cortina, where her foot went through the floor in the driver's footwell.

Rather liked the old Dolomites.

Nice cars.  An uncle of mine (long since gone, I regret to say) had a pale blue one, registration ASR 800L.  I checked the DVLA site and the car hasn't been taxed since 1983, so I suppose it would have been scrapped years ago.

Early days Strathspey, well remember 5025 working a bit later say 1978 ish

Back in 1975 when I visited it, the Strathspey Railway was really not much more than a static display.  5025 was there and was the most striking exhibit:

post-30099-0-19916800-1481546981_thumb.jpg

post-30099-0-31574700-1481547013_thumb.jpg

post-30099-0-29995200-1481547039_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Looks like Preston, not Crewe!

Given that two people have agreed with you so far, chances are it is Preston.  It was an overnight trip from Montrose to North Wales and I think I changed trains three or four times.  That photo was taken around 6am, as was the one below, which I seem to recall taking from the same platform but looking in the opposite direction:

post-30099-0-51734600-1481724711_thumb.jpg

Edited by Wolseley
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Given that two people have agreed with you so far, chances are it is Preston.  It was an overnight trip from Montrose to North Wales and I think I changed trains three or four times.  That photo was taken around 6am, as was the one below, which was taken from the adjacent platform:

attachicon.gifPreston 1975.jpg

100% Preston

Old East Lancs line would have gone under the bridge to the left, we are looking South from platform 4, platform 5 and 6 on the left (an island)

Here are some more cars from the 1970s

attachicon.gifscan0181 (2).jpg

37274 approaches Pontypridd with a coal train from one of the Rhondda Valley pits, 10/9/79

cheers

I would say looking at the photo with brake van against the Loco it's from Maerdy Colliery it's a Aberdare man and it would run round in Pontypridd for Cwmbach sidings.

They did go to Maesmawr Down Goods Loop to run round for while due to problems at Pontypridd with the wall on the south end.

Cheers GARETH

PS I've run round a few of them at Pontypridd and Maesmawr in my time.

Edited by TEDDYBEAR D9521

Given that two people have agreed with you so far, chances are it is Preston.  It was an overnight trip from Montrose to North Wales and I think I changed trains three or four times.

I've just looked at a map and changing trains at Preston doesn't seem to make much sense for the trip I described.  Chances are it was taken on another occasion, when I travelled from Montrose to Carnforth.

• 2 weeks later...

It was, I think, 1978, and I was passing through York on my way to somewhere else, I can't remember where.  I had to change trains at York and, after I got off my train, I spotted this display on one of the platforms.  Unfortunately the weather that day was not very conducive to good photography.

post-30099-0-73120600-1483430871_thumb.jpg

post-30099-0-47321800-1483430900_thumb.jpg

post-30099-0-17545200-1483431009_thumb.jpg

post-30099-0-59381600-1483431032_thumb.jpg

post-30099-0-27304400-1483431055_thumb.jpg

• Like 5