Midland Railway 10 ton single platform brakevan

I used to have a kit made, in plastic, a Midland 10 ton brake, as per Slaters 7mm version, but it has vanished, and I am trying to find the make or equivalent type in 4mm. I have a feeling it might have been made by Slater, before dropping 4mm. Are there any etched ones, net search is silent,

Stephen

Just found it is in the Coopercraft range and priced etc, is there a problem with Coopercraft supply that I should investigate on the phone before purchasing a couple? The site does say they have issues with some mouldings

Stephen

Guest Midland Mole

I keep hoping that maybe Mousa will do it one day, seeing as they have such a fantastic range of pre-grouping stuff. I'm hoping to find a use for one of their Kirtley brake van kits. :)

- Alex

Guest Midland Mole

On the main page of the Cooper Craft website it says:

Due to some of the Cooper Craft, Mailcoach, Kirk & Slater's have been out of stock due to a problem with my machine, it will be best for you to place your order but not pay for it at that time. I can let you know when back in stock before you pay for it.

But who knows if that is up to date news or not?

- Alex

Edited by Midland Mole

On the main page of the Cooper Craft website it says:

But who knows if that is up to date news or not?

- Alex

He managed to answer the phone on one occasion last July. I was told it would be sorted "sooner, rather than later".

It is now later.

• Like 1

Just found it is in the Coopercraft range and priced etc, is there a problem with Coopercraft supply that I should investigate on the phone before purchasing a couple? The site does say they have issues with some mouldings

Stephen

If you look at the Coopercraft thread, the words 'bargepole' and 'disinfected' will come to mind.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• Like 1

Agree about this 4mm kit, it is very good indeed.  I just sold my kit that I had managed to get from Coopercraft a few years ago.  Based on the thread on this subject, I would concur with John.

Stephen I actually have two of these built.  The underframes and stepboards need a redo because I had inadvertently used 3' wheels.  I have 4 x 3' 6" spoked wheelsets.  PM if you want to do a deal.

John

Guest Midland Mole

I'm in the process of bodging a 6 wheel MR brake van using one of the current Bachmann ones and a Dapol 6 wheel tank chassis. No idea how it will turn out, be we will see. :D

- Alex

Good job no one is after the NER brake van. Last one of those I saw went for over £50.

Same with the NER hopper wagons they go for over £20 each. Not long ago you could buy a box of ten for about £50.

Jason

Hmm I have a NER brake van in my collection of 'when I get around to it!'. It's far from complete however (bare shell and less roof IIRC) so a lot of work is required. I was thinking of a 'grounded body' shed, but perhaps a rethink is in order.

It's a pity that the kits are no longer available - luckily I have too many* wagons already.

*Just joking! Everyone knows thatt you can't have too many trains. (SWMBO does tend to disagree, but....)

• 2 years later...

I think someone may be collecting these. :mad:

The original poster had one but can't find it...and I had one on my exhibition layout last year and someone nicked it!

I didn't notice at the time as you pack up as quick as you can when the show is over, and it wasn't until I started a new layout and thought the little Midland van would be ideal, that I realized I couldn't find it anywhere.

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

There's a "Menu" tab to click on. Under 4 mm wagons, only the NER hopper and brake van are listed but it does seem to be the case that all the kits using the 9 ft wheelbase underframe, the cattle wagon, and 10 ton brake van are available, but not yet the 10 ft wheelbase vans. Eileen's Emporium list them as well as H&A, possibly others? 

The 5 plank and 3 plank wagons (D299 and D305/Drg1143) have been available for some years through POWSides, along with the PO wagon kits.