Oxford N7

• RMweb Premium

Thank you for this photo of the N7 - some of us have been keen to see it for quite a while! It is the model I'm waiting for, and this looks very promising indeed. The coal rails look nice and neat, but is there any chance of a photo of the rear of the loco, please? it will be interesting to see Oxford Rail's treatment of the protective grill over the cab rear windows.

John S

• Like 1

• Administrators

Thank you for this photo of the N7 - some of us have been keen to see it for quite a while! It is the model I'm waiting for, and this looks very promising indeed. The coal rails look nice and neat, but is there any chance of a photo of the rear of the loco, please? it will be interesting to see Oxford Rail's treatment of the protective grill over the cab rear windows.

John S

No problem.

N2_3_small.jpg

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold

One thing I've found when researching my N7 build is you have to be careful with things like the bunker footsteps - the example doesn't have any so won't suit later periods (eg. the pair that kept their belpaire boilers to the end). The actual position number fitted also varied. 

Dare we wonder what Mr Swain has to say about it...?

I don't know, but there is little point in asking here, as he has not been seen on RMWeb the whole time I've been here. He's evidently alive and kicking somewhere, so I'd check other forums. I have seen commentary on a variety of products, including OR, over recent years. 

Personally, I don't post any prototype information that I have not looked up and understood, and I am limited by the extent of my library at any given point in time.  Though the contrary has been suggested, I won't rely upon and the repeated opinions of others.  

It would not surprise me to find that, given his age and experience as a manufacturer of a fairly extensive range of kits, your man knows his stuff.   He may provide/have provided some useful pointers and, if so, you can take what you will from what he says. 

But, I would suggest that anyone who wants to assess a RTR model in accuracy terms, really should be doing their own reading and research.

• Like 2

I don't know, but there is little point in asking here, as he has not been seen on RMWeb the whole time I've been here. He's evidently alive and kicking somewhere, so I'd check other forums. I have seen commentary on a variety of products, including OR, over recent years. 

Personally, I don't post any prototype information that I have not looked up and understood, and I am limited by the extent of my library at any given point in time.  Though the contrary has been suggested, I won't rely upon and the repeated opinions of others.  

It would not surprise me to find that, given his age and experience as a manufacturer of a fairly extensive range of kits, your man knows his stuff.   He may provide/have provided some useful pointers and, if so, you can take what you will from what he says. 

But, I would suggest that anyone who wants to assess a RTR model in accuracy terms, really should be doing their own reading and research.

He is on Model Rail Forum , his last post read by me, was relating to the Dapol Dock tank. 

And goes some way to mitigating the disappointment following their recent announcement to do a pointless (to me) rail cannon!

I thought the WW1 & WW2 Railway gun was a fantastic announcement, relating to Military modelers, yes they may not be in the majority, but I think it's worth it! Plus not many RTR manufacturers have actually done anything in relation to the centenary of WW1, Hornby did a troop train which was not anything amazing, Bachmann have done the A WW1 Ambulance Train, Warflats, Parrot wagons and the ROD 8K, in addition to the 009 WW1 Railway wagons and loco's, so with Oxford Rail doing the Railway gun and the ROD Dean Goods 2330 it's a good addition if I am honest.

Plus with the unavailing of the N7 engineering sample, to me it's the icing on the cake. 

• Like 1

Absolutely fantastic images, this will be a perfect locomotive for anyone's layout. I really do hope that some for of destination boards are provided with the model, however I am happy to scratch build some. Unless someone already does them?

Or has spare ones from other etched kits (I could be persuaded to part with some!). They used to come on a sheet of loco details that Mainly Trains produced, probably at the behest of one I. Rice to spiff up the old Riceworks kits.

Edited by EHertsGER

I think this will be a lovely addition to my collection. I do model the NER but I seem to have a number of GER locos creeping in. the lovely J15, and D16. I am even looking at the B12 (no never had one ...ever) 

The locos that are coming out are a nice cross section and seem to be complementary of each other with the B12 taking the express longer hall, the D16 mid range with the J15 and N7 being the smaller local services... alright the N7 was the Jazz services but I think the group will look really good together! 

I think this will be a lovely addition to my collection. I do model the NER but I seem to have a number of GER locos creeping in. the lovely J15, and D16. I am even looking at the B12 (no never had one ...ever)

The locos that are coming out are a nice cross section and seem to be complementary of each other with the B12 taking the express longer hall, the D16 mid range with the J15 and N7 being the smaller local services... alright the N7 was the Jazz services but I think the group will look really good together!

Completely agree with you about all that GER loveliness. The N7 did get further afield than the Jazz trains; eg, it was used on the South Lynn-King’s Lynn shuttle services which connected the M&GN and the GER systems (replacing C12s, from memory). You could see all those lovely locos alongside each other at South Lynn.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Completely agree with you about all that GER loveliness. The N7 did get further afield than the Jazz trains; eg, it was used on the South Lynn-King’s Lynn shuttle services which connected the M&GN and the GER systems (replacing C12s, from memory). You could see all those lovely locos alongside each other at South Lynn.

The one I'm building was based at the Chelmsford Sub-Shed for a lot of its life. No idea what it used to do there though!

Edited by Bucoops
  • Like 1