New Partwork "Mill Town"

CathcartCircle

As others have commented, although the layout design of this partwork is perhaps a better physical shape than the 'Your Model Village' one, it would still be too large a size in many a modern house.

So, I was wondering what other RMWeb viewers would think to a partwork whose aims were:-

a.) an end objective of an end-to-end layout (say, a terminus to fiddleyard, with a board depth of around 45cm, so it would fit on many standalone shelving units), and;

b.) where the included parts were to make the actual layout baseboard (say from laser-cut plywood, with tab and slot construction, with each set of parts making up into an open-box 'slice' of the end layout. The open-box style would allow a layout to have embankments, cuttings, and perhaps a ferry/dock scene at the terminus);

I am prompted to make this suggestion, as many would-be modellers (- probably including myself ! -) are possibly less aware of how to go about building a layout board, than they are in where to get track, rolling stock and locos.

So, to my mind, a partwork that provided the 'groundworks' for a model railway, along with suitable notes and references on selecting track, scenics, etc., might appeal to a different sector of the market than the 'Mill Town' or 'YMV' ones, and may result in an increase in the numbers of modellers actually running trains !

I have a few other ideas related to the above, but do not wish to bore everyone, so just to add that whilst I do not have any funding to get such a venture launched, I would be quite happy to work with others on the concept.

I was one of the people that purchased all the Model Village issue's without realising how big it was, I just kept the collection going thinking of maybe designing my own layout to suit my room, needless to say they are all still in there bags unopened, A lot of money just to sit in a box though, but to sell them I would have to take a huge loss which I am not willing to do. I'll think of something when my wife gives me permission to use more space in the spare room. lol

It was the WHS locations that inspired me... BTW you forgot to mention 'finescale standards' in your list :)

Since the current issue features a magnificent OO gauge layout (though it IS finescale through and through), I thought I'd leave 'finescale standards' on the table for now......  As far as a cutting list for the mill layout is concerned, I think the main interest would be how two 8x4 sheets of plywood could be divided to be easy enough for a complete beginner to cope with.

@PeckettChap:  There's something called "Railroad in a Box" available in the US ( http://rrinabox.wixsite.com/rrinabox ) which provides the trackbed and scenic components, the purchaser buys the track, locos and other embellishments. A baseboard along those lines might be within the grasp of a partwork but (sadly) what you end up with is a bit of a rabbit warren layout!

this is the project done by one of the main magazines in France. Train in a Box. Although I am not keen on the card buildings, I think they deal with board contruction

https://fr.ulule.com/traininbox/

google translation here I think

https://translate.google.co.uk/translate?hl=en&sl=fr&tl=en&u=https%3A%2F%2Ffr.ulule.com%2Ftraininbox%2F

I am not sure how this could be done in a part work, but if the panels were not too bifg it might be possible - not that different to building a wooded boat.

If you add up the parts then it's not very good value for money.

'Value for money' is very much a personal opinion judgement. You might think that it is not good VFM but there will be others, probably plenty, who think that it is and/or that it helps them to budget over a period.

How much does a train set cost? A bit of wood, some extra track, a few buildings and you've got a layout.

Not in my eyes. You might then have some track on a board (rather like a basic train set) but I wouldn't call that a model railway 'layout'. What about the scenics, stock, controllers and electrics to operate it? 

Layouts that I have built have cost a darn sight more than a bit of wood, some track and a few buildings (and I don't even buy RTP buildings but make my own). 

G.

'Value for money' is very much a personal opinion judgement. You might think that it is not good VFM but there will be others, probably plenty, who think that it is and/or that it helps them to budget over a period.

Not in my eyes. You might then have some track on a board (rather like a basic train set) but I wouldn't call that a model railway 'layout'. What about the scenics, stock, controllers and electrics to operate it

Layouts that I have built have cost a darn sight more than a bit of wood, some track and a few buildings (and I don't even buy RTP buildings but make my own). 

G.

Yes. But you don't get any of that with this partwork.

No baseboards. The locomotives you have to buy separately for £240. The controls are also separate, as are the lights.

It may be worth actually looking at what you get for your money. http://www.milltownmodelrailway.com/

Now is that a proper layout?

I particularly like the station and the railway that runs straight through the middle of the canal....

Jason

Yes. But you don't get any of that with this partwork.

No baseboards. The locomotives you have to buy separately for £240. The controls are also separate, as are the lights.

It may be worth actually looking at what you get for your money. http://www.milltownmodelrailway.com/

Now is that a proper layout?

I particularly like the station and the railway that runs straight through the middle of the canal....

Jason

I know that canals have been turned into railways but that bit of the design is a bit silly!  Its a pity they didn't do the canal as a basin and put the bit where the tracks and water coincide into a tunnel.  Then there'd then be less of a plot hole! :jester:

All I can suggest is that they must have employed Moses as their surveyor......

I know that canals have been turned into railways but that bit of the design is a bit silly!  Its a pity they didn't do the canal as a basin and put the bit where the tracks and water coincide into a tunnel.  Then there'd then be less of a plot hole! :jester:

All I can suggest is that they must have employed Moses as their surveyor......

When I used to live next to the Rochdale canal, the water was quite often almost overflowing. If there was a lock then the water could drop below level of railway easily. It would not take much room to put in lock gates .I have seen far worse howlers on exhibition layouts.

When I used to live next to the Rochdale canal, the water was quite often almost overflowing. If there was a lock then the water could drop below level of railway easily. It would not take much room to put in lock gates .I have seen far worse howlers on exhibition layouts.

That would be rather like Bunbury staircase on the Shroppie, where it drops under the Crewe-Chester line.

Or even better, Chester Northgate locks which drop the canal under the Chester and Holyhead Railway...

Edited by Hroth

Is anyone able to confirm where this has been seen? I've been phoning around branches of WH Smith in Edinburgh (both of them!) but no joy... I'd like 2 or 3 brake vans but as a southern countryside modeller I have little use for northern industrial buildings, so would prefer not to start 3 subscriptions!

The OP says he got it in a newsagent in Glasgow.

And the Ebay seller was in Loch Lomond. All sold by the way. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Build-your-own-1930s-Model-Railway-1-76-Mill-Town-magazine-Partwork-Issue-1-/252739852493?hash=item3ad87818cd:g:QtQAAOSwnHZYiJD9

The other sightings were in Essex I think.

Jason

Is anyone able to confirm where this has been seen? I've been phoning around branches of WH Smith in Edinburgh (both of them!) but no joy... I'd like 2 or 3 brake vans but as a southern countryside modeller I have little use for northern industrial buildings, so would prefer not to start 3 subscriptions!

Asda Motherwell had quite a few, I picked up 2 of them.

I know everyone's buying it for the cheepo brake vans . If you look at it it's a nice layout but very limited operating potential. Not even a loop

I like the look of the layout on this one, I have still got all 120 issues of model railway village in boxes as the layout for it was to big for my spare room.

Just got issue 2 from Asda Motherwell, Strange how there is no mention of it in the Hachette website. 

That's because it's only a test run in certain areas. It'll get stopped and then relaunched properly if there is sufficient demand.

http://www.newsstand.co.uk/62-Others-Magazines/24322-Subscribe-to-MILL-TOWN-MODEL-RAILWAY-TEST-Magazine-Subscription.aspx

We had to wait a year before the Great British Locomotives partwork was relaunched.

Jason

trouble is , how do they know if there is any real interest if it is only trialedin 2 areas. This forum is probably the only real publicity it is getting. When I asked in local WHS, they don't me they don't have lists, so even if there is some wy of registering an interest, how is that going to be capture. This series has far more potential than first , especially for those wanting to build a typical northern location, and they don't have to follow it religiously. This is why it falls outside the traditional 2 types of partwork, one where it is a collection of related items(eg books or DVDs), or parts to build something(eg a robot requiring all parts). For some it might be followed in the latter way, but some will either only buy the parts they want(in particular the low cost first issue), or us the model parts to build something different as I would. This is something the publishers might not quite understand.

So Hornby are the bad guys for 'dumping' surplus stock at selected retailers. Meanwhile, 'white hats' Bachman dump their surpluses in multi-part magazines for the innocent and gullible, (apart from the smartar!es who have already snaffled 10 brakevans at 2 quid rather than the 22 at Hattons to flog on Ebay!).

Cynical. moi??

Peter C.

Apart from the slight fact that even if the brake van was someone existing tooling it would not be Bachmanns as Bachmann have never produced that brake van. The one you are thinking of is presumably the Airfix one that passed to Dapol and then Hornby.