West Highland Line V4, a 1980's West Highland Line layout

young37215

• RMweb Premium
On 03/09/2023 at 07:01, young37215 said:

Adding the engineering train path into the WTT has been a great success. Not only does it add some interest, it forces the movement of rolling stock which otherwise can easily sit in the same place for weeks at a time. A largely ex works 37049 is seen heading north from Arrochar with a loaded ballast working. 37049 was a late East Anglian transfer to Scotland but is a model that several manufacturers have produced. I have been pondering renumbering to a more traditional SCR loco hence the lack of weathering but with the addition of the recent Accurascale 37027 I seem to have run out of suitable candidates!

290823(11).JPG.c6170bda56681e9823cdc8e37bd48ded.JPG

Have you covered 37037 Rob ? Not sure if the body is the correct style or not and I've just noticed that whilst it had round buffers at No.2 end it appears to have had oval buffers at No.1 end !

37.037 Glenfinnan 13th July 83

Photo by 54A South dock, 1983.

37037 Gateshead. 29-07-1983

Photo by Trevor Casey, 1983.

Edited by 03060
Info corrected regarding ends.
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, thegreenhowards said:

I love the photo with the observation car. That’s on my list to build!

Andy

This is the return working showing the round buffers of 37037, the 'Loch Eil' observation car and also a topical BSOT  in the formation exiting the tunnel out onto the fabulous Loch-Nam-Uahm viaduct.

37.037 Arisaig 13th July 83

Photo again by 54A South dock, 1983.

Edited by 03060
Correction.
  • Like 6

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, 03060 said:

Have you covered 37037 Rob ? Not sure if the body is the correct style or not and I've just noticed that whilst it had round buffers at No.2 end it appears to have had oval buffers at No.1 end !

I have been intending to do 37037 for a while now, it is the one long standing split box Eastfield 37 that I do'nt currently have. I was unaware of the oval/round buffer situation on 37037 so that is useful info. The current 37108 has the incorrect roof profile and seemed a logical candidate for renumbering as 37037. However having seen others filing/sanding off the rivets to create a plain, welded roof profile, I am pondering doing the same with my 37108 which I would like to keep as it is one of the earliest split box 37's transferred to Eastfield. My latest plan (which is about version 999) is to renumber 37022 as 37037. One of my two 37027's can then be renumbered as 37022 with a little work. The good news is the details of the Scottish steam heat class 37's should become a little clearer with the impending release of the SDEG book, I was delighted to receive an email advising this should be available in late Spetember.   

37112 heads for Glasgow with the 1254 from Oban which includes BSOT 9000 amongst the 5 coach rake. I am still uncertain on the 5 coaches, I suspect that the rake will be reduced back to 4 in the near future.

030923(1).JPG.5dd748f13c8edc8a18b5d48910e0b66b.JPG

030923(4).JPG.a58de5207d309e774d40321f91a3dce1.JPG

030923(6).JPG.c56acf5e3970756c831b5ce71196c0c4.JPG

030923(9).JPG.0c5b4158ecec28c4e5acab9a2bc55371.JPG

• Like 14
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
On 03/09/2023 at 20:01, thegreenhowards said:

I love the photo with the observation car. That’s on my list to build!

Andy

Apologies for the slight 'drift' Rob, but looking at the train behind 37037 in the two photos above I think that it's made up of (Mallaig end) the Lochaber saloon (Maroon*), b/grey BCK, TSO, BSOT, TSO, Loch Eil saloon (Maroon* at the FW end.)

So together with the buffer issue on 37037 .... plenty of variation to model !

Your BSOT in the above photos certainly looks the part, a great bit of modelling.

Regards,

Ian.

*See below for correct colour.

Edited by 03060
Amendment
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

I was just about to inform all who worship in this parish of the forthcoming SDEG announcement ‘The Scottish Diesel & Electric Group (SDEG) is proud to announce the release of the fourth volume of Scotland’s Diesel Fleet in Detail – Steam Heat Class 37s’ . But I see you’ve had the same email ! These are truly great books and I (like all of us here no doubt ) have been patiently waiting. Obviously I’m hoping for the 37/4s ! 

Model railways direct have big reductions on the new tool Bachman 37s . Of particular interest to this era would possibly be 37305 (for a renumber) ? As it’s a centre panel , B.R blue machine with glass panels and lovely skirts . £246 for the sound  & working fan model isn’t bad at all. 

Great photos over the viaduct Rob and the BSOT really looks right at home in that photo . An essential addition and it looks well modelled. 

Edited by meanach
Detail
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, meanach said:

forthcoming SDEG announcement ‘The Scottish Diesel & Electric Group (SDEG) is proud to announce the release of the fourth volume of Scotland’s Diesel Fleet in Detail – Steam Heat Class 37s’ 

Ordered mine earlier today after seeing it mentioned yesterday, looking forward to the winter reading pile this year  😎 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

The BSO(T) is looking great Rob! Just about to start my conversion so will post some progress photos on on the other thread (once there is some progress) 

The wife ordered the SDEG 37/0 book last night as soon as she saw the email. From memory there will be a 37/4 book, possibly the next one to be released. 
Cheers. 
Bill. 

• Thanks 1

I ordered my copy this morning also. I find that I had missed signing up for an email notification for this so thanks Rob for mentioning it your post this morning. Not having received an email I don’t know if it includes the flyer. If not it is worth looking up for the wonderful photo of 37014 with its rather discreet teeny tiny thin white stripe. Also of note and apologies if dragging this slightly off the current topics but unless I’m mistaken there appears to be at least 2 of the international vans, that were discussed up stream some months back, in the consist. But I could very well be mistaken.

SDFID-Sh-37s-flyer.pdf

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, 03060 said:

Apologies for the slight 'drift' Rob, but looking at the train behind 37037 in the two photos above I think that it's made up of (Mallaig end) the Lochaber saloon (Maroon), b/grey BCK, TSO, BSOT, TSO, Loch Eil saloon (Maroon at the FW end.)

So together with the buffer issue on 37037 .... plenty of variation to model !

Your BSOT in the above photos certainly looks the part, a great bit of modelling.

Regards,

Ian.

Are the saloons in maroon? I thought they were in faux teak livery in 1983, although it does look a bit dark in those photos.

Andy

• Agree 2

11 minutes ago, thegreenhowards said:

Are the saloons in maroon? I thought they were in faux teak livery in 1983, although it does look a bit dark in those photos.

Andy

Im checking the Forty miles to Skye video now you’ve brought that up Andy. I always thought they were LNER teak/brown but it’s no secret that I’m colour blind. These vehicles do keep coming back to haunt despite the fact that I personally keep deciding to move on as nothing is available to model them on. 
One day…

Edit LNER beech brown according to Tom Noble’s bible.

Edited by mallaig1983
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, mallaig1983 said:

Im checking the Forty miles to Skye video now you’ve brought that up Andy. I always thought they were LNER teak/brown but it’s no secret that I’m colour blind. These vehicles do keep coming back to haunt despite the fact that I personally keep deciding to move on as nothing is available to model them on. 
One day…

One day , if we all live long enough , I’m sure all of our west highland modelling prayers will be answered ! I never thought we’d ever see China clay PRA wagons and now the even more niche Alcan PCA are on the horizon. There’s still plenty more though for all of us to dream of ! Interfargo vans for one and I’m totally amazed nobody has updated the Grainflow 4 axel PAA / PAV later used for aluminium traffic. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

I sent my cash off to the SDEG boys yesterday. Based on their previous editions I have high expectations for the class 37 book.

Having arrived at Ardlui, 37049 runs around its train and shunts the loaded Dogfish into the siding to await an engineers possession when they can be emptied. This additionally gives me good reason to move the Tamper to Ardlui.

290823(20).JPG.09e8e17d1aaee8faf720ff17700dc17f.JPG

290823(22).JPG.fe08d1364fae1d81b2cdc68045bd2ff9.JPG

290823(24).JPG.87fec8507a5b79d9dbbbf2db9dfcab94.JPG

290823(23).JPG.5d6494da02acff9954d5a2d61d2702ec.JPG

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, thegreenhowards said:

Andy

13 hours ago, mallaig1983 said:

One day…

Yes, apologies on my part, I've got Tom Noble's bible at my side and even used it to clarify which saloon was which but didn't think to clarify the colour ... teak it is !

(I won't re-edit my original post otherwise none of it will make sense.)

Regards,

Ian.

(Being a 'Luddite' I'm afraid that I need to get to a bank in order to transfer my SDEG cash over ... so only 4 hrs sleep for me today !)

PS ... great spot with the Ferryvans.

Edited by 03060
Spellings corrected
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, meanach said:

One day , if we all live long enough , I’m sure all of our west highland modelling prayers will be answered ! I never thought we’d ever see China clay PRA wagons and now the even more niche Alcan PCA are on the horizon. There’s still plenty more though for all of us to dream of ! Interfargo vans for one and I’m totally amazed nobody has updated the Grainflow 4 axel PAA / PAV later used for aluminium traffic. 

For me, the Timber P would be very welcome, even in kit form. And a Class 29 (O gauge) - just need Dapol to scale up their OO version!

Andy

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
On 04/09/2023 at 23:15, mallaig1983 said:

Also of note and apologies if dragging this slightly off the current topics but unless I’m mistaken there appears to be at least 2 of the international vans, that were discussed up stream some months back, in the consist. But I could very well be mistaken.

No mistakes, clearly 2 of the vans and judging by the open wagons content, in what appears to be a Fort William bound train. Lets hope there is more detail with the picture in the forthcoming book.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, young37215 said:

A challenge today, what is the first wagon which looks like a modified Salmon to me and what is it carrying in these two 1985 pictures?

West Highland works train

Top sidings

P.110 Key Publishing's - MBR Departmental Coaches and Track Machines book, looks identical to the pictures of DM720014 (renumbered DR82003 in the 1980s) the base wagon being an ex-LMS 35ton bogie bolster, knicknamed  the 'Gozunda', good photos and blurb in the section.

Regards,

Ian.

Edited by 03060
Extra info added.
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, GordonC said:

The comments say 'The Queen Mary is DS56232'

As seen in the backgound of Rob's photo of 37112 at Crianlarich higher up the page.

• RMweb Premium
On 04/09/2023 at 23:59, meanach said:

On 05/09/2023 at 09:28, thegreenhowards said:

For me, the Timber P would be very welcome, even in kit form. And a Class 29 (O gauge) - just need Dapol to scale up their OO version!

Andy

Completely agree - these wagons would be so useful.

I'm sure I'm preaching to the choir here but Scottish modelling has so much potential with loco hauled stock and trains being manageably short in 4mm for a lot of people. I therefore maintain that Scottish will sell.

• Agree 4

• RMweb Gold
16 hours ago, 03060 said:

P.110 Key Publishing's - MBR Departmental Coaches and Track Machines book, looks identical to the pictures of DM720014 (renumbered DR82003 in the 1980s) the base wagon being an ex-LMS 35ton bogie bolster, knicknamed  the 'Gozunda', good photos and blurb in the section.

Regards,

Ian.

Presumably an inspection train for the purposes of checking the viaducts between Crianlarich and Bridge of Orchy. It is an interesting consist, I am not sure how I might go about making a model of Gozunda but the thought of modeling the train is appealing.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

Just thought I’d mention , if you haven’t seen it , that SDEG bringing out another book in their Scottish Traction series. This one is steam heat 37/0s . Thought it might be right up your street . There is a thread on here about it . I have their 47/7 book and it really is very comprehensive . 

• Agree 2