Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Unidentified Location and/or Loco/Date

Swindon Twon FC  football ground in the background. I went on a footex on 7th february 1970. TWO trains ran from Scunthorpe via Birmingham. Still plenty of Warships about.

We lost 3-1, but had made it to the fifth round after beating Wednesday away 2-1.

• RMweb Gold

Swindon Twon FC  football ground in the background. I went on a footex on 7th february 1970. TWO trains ran from Scunthorpe via Birmingham. Still plenty of Warships about.

We lost 3-1, but had made it to the fifth round after beating Wednesday away 2-1.

Except it's hidden by the train and signalbox.  the large building you can see is the big warehouse at the goods depot at Swindon Transfer

• RMweb Gold

Can anyone tell me what class this loco is? 6100, 5101 or another....

attachicon.gifRRB4_25_20151205_0028_800.jpg

Very little if any external difference between 61xx and 5101, or 81xx, the differences being in boiler pressure and small differences in cylinder size.  This engine is probably a scrapper, which is why it is without number plates or connecting rods, and the only way to identify it would have been to examine the lubrication bosses on the coupling rods, which were stamped with the loco's number on building and stayed with it for life.

At Pontypool Road, 5101 is the most likely, either one of their own or stored from another shed awaiting transfer to the scrapyard.  If it went to Barry, it or parts of it might still be around...

Six days later I am in the Nottingham area. I have this as Kirkby-in-Ashfield Station on 20 August 1964. The negatives before are at Annesley shed and after Langwith shed.

attachicon.gifRRB6_29_20151208_0022_800.jpg

I'm pretty sure that's Newstead MR which was more or less ooposite Annesley shed, the big building is the Station Hotel, relatively (last couple of years) closed. Now boarded up and for sale. Looking again I'm almost certain, I should be really as I stop at the new Newstead station often enough, now just a single line more or less on the alignment of the platform road. The photographer would now likely be standing in a fairly dense group of bushes

I'm pretty sure that's Newstead MR which was more or less ooposite Annesley shed, the big building is the Station Hotel, relatively (last couple of years) closed. Now boarded up and for sale. Looking again I'm almost certain, I should be really as I stop at the new Newstead station often enough, now just a single line more or less on the alignment of the platform road. The photographer would now likely be standing in a fairly dense group of bushes

Absolutely definitely Newstead MR, with the train in the foreground heading south towards Nottingham.

You may be able to see the floodlights.......................but having been to the County Ground on several occasions it always appeared to be "quite a hike from the station" 

Not as far as Oxford United though.

• RMweb Gold

You may be able to see the floodlights.......................but having been to the County Ground on several occasions it always appeared to be "quite a hike from the station" 

Not as far as Oxford United though.

I imagine Oxford Uniteds' ground would be quite a hike from Swindon.

Great photos and information, Swindon with semaphores and a Warship - drool.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

We now jump forward a year to 9th August 1965. I had just bunked Guildford shed and was in my way to Bassingstoke when I took this West Country 34056 Croydon passing through a station. Which ststion?

attachicon.gifRRC1_24_20151208_0030_800.jpg

Looks like Woking to me. The platforms are quite staggered.

I had just bunked Guildford shed  - 

Lucky old you, I got slung out every time I tried, by the notorious foreman (or one of them) who had been badly injured, and disfigured, during WW2 - or so some said.

We now jump forward a year to 9th August 1965. I had just bunked Guildford shed and was in my way to Bassingstoke when I took this West Country 34056 Croydon passing through a station. Which ststion?

attachicon.gifRRC1_24_20151208_0030_800.jpg

Co-incidentally that office block in the background just above the loco chimney was demolished during February

Edited by Southernman46

• RMweb Gold

The next negative is Modified Hall 6959 Peatling Hall passing by on a freight. I have this as beside Basingstoke shed.

attachicon.gifRRC1_25_20151208_0029_800.jpg

Interesting that the loco appears to have lamps indicating "express passenger". But then this is the SR, where lamps/discs indicate the route and not the type of train.  And lamps in this position indicate Bournemouth -> Oxford, which is the route that the train is presumably taking.  No doubt the WR crew will change them round once they get to WR territory.

Edited by RFS