Dapol's new Class 68 locomotives

Nobby (John)

The fixing of some of those nameplates is shocking. I'd have hoped Dapol would have learnt from the quality control issues experienced on the class 73.

I've asked my retailer to check the nameplates on my pre-ordered model before they send it. If they are unable to supply a decent one I will cancel.

Edited by WILLIAM

All six DCC ready versions are in stock now.

I have just finished editing our video review of the new models. 

(As I said previously layout is coming soon so for now we just have it going up and down and also on a rolling road)

Please let me know what you think and also how we could improve

Many thanks
Oliver at Rails

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

I held off ordering one of these until they had been seen in the flesh and at the moment I am glad that I did. The warning panels look terribly applied, Rails video shows glue around the name and the standard of wiring (see sound thread) is atrocious.

I am so disappointed. That's 2 Scotrail sound locos that are probably not going to be purchased.

Roy

Edited by Roy Langridge

Wow . It does look superb. Seriously tempted even though I stopped modelling modern image a few years ago . I had thought to get a ScotRail one but the DRS one looks good too.

Yes it really does look fantastic, they all do. I'm excited to hear the sound version which is due in soon  :no:

• RMweb Gold

Has anyone ordered the 68's off Kernow in DCC ready form, if so have they arrived yet?

Ben

I have two DCC Ready on order from Kernow but have yet to hear anything from them. I have emailed so I'm sure will hear something tomorrow.

Andy

• RMweb Gold

Cheers for that, I was wondering if my order was left out since people have already got theirs through the post?? Glad to know its not just me!

Could someone kindly attach a link to the rails vid, I cant find it.

Cheers all,

Ben

Top of this thread

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/119978-dapols-new-class-68-locomotives

Roy

Edited by Roy Langridge

I am also very dissapointed if the 68s have such quality problems. I had also issues with a brand new class 52 two years ago. The 73s had their issues.

That's the reason why I haven't preordered the ScotRail versions. For this it is too much money in my eyes. And it seems to me that Dapol has not learned from the past...

• RMweb Gold

Cheers mate, watched the vid and although it had little QC problems here and there, it still looks great IMHO

They do look good, but if I'm going to spend nearly £500 on two sound locos I don't expect those errors to be there. The yellow being the wrong colour in unforgivable, they have worked with DRS on these! As for the application, it just looks shoddy.

My biggest dislike though is the wiring, how they can sell items with the PCBs looking as though they have been patched is beyond me.

Roy

They do look good, but if I'm going to spend nearly £500 on two sound locos I don't expect those errors to be there. The yellow being the wrong colour in unforgivable, they have worked with DRS on these! As for the application, it just looks shoddy.

My biggest dislike though is the wiring, how they can sell items with the PCBs looking as though they have been patched is beyond me.

Roy

Only a handful were affected say Dapol, so I guess the only way to find out is to open them up and judge yourself

Ben

• RMweb Premium

I went off modern image when 66s took over everything. 67s are not exactly visually inspiring while the 70 is just plain hideous . However this 68 looks really good. Just been watching the real thing on YouTube and it really is inspiring. I am tempted, but I think this is one to be treated with caution, following issues with the 73. You might have thought they would have learned from experience. Clearly there are some QC issues, so might want to inspect it before I buy.

Hopefully some models will be running at Model Rail Scotland so I can see them up close. And maybe keep an eye out for YouTube reviews before taking the plunge .

Edited by Legend

• RMweb Gold

Only a handful were affected say Dapol, so I guess the only way to find out is to open them up and judge yourself

Ben

That's a handful that should have been reworked and not sold. Tacking wires on by hand to SMD components is not the way to have a long-lived product.

Roy

That's a handful that should have been reworked and not sold. Tacking wires on by hand to SMD components is not the way to have a long-lived product.

Roy

This is very true, shouldn't have ever happened in the first place, although it was a tough decision I could imagine, the pressure to deliver what was a much overdue product can cause instances like such, and with the good customer service of Dapol, I'm sure all can be sorted...

Ben

This is very true, shouldn't have ever happened in the first place, although it was a tough decision I could imagine, the pressure to deliver what was a much overdue product can cause instances like such, and with the good customer service of Dapol, I'm sure all can be sorted...

Ben

Well this sort of unacceptable QC better not inflict the limited edition 68001 from DRS, I just forked out £205 for the privilege and too be honest will send it straight back if any of these issues shown are on this model.

Actually, will email DRS customer services to have them or someone in the chain inspect the model before dispatch...if it's possible.

Here are some photos

attachicon.gifIMG_1135.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_1136.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_1137.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_1138.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_1139.JPG

Super model all told.

Can't complain really, the 1 nameplate at an angle though..... will have to prize that off.....

The yellow on the nose, I can live with.

Plates glued on at bizarre angles and with glue splurging over the sides is simply unforgivable.  Why-oh-why don't they simply put the damn things in a bag so that we can glue our own plates on straight?!  :threaten:

I hope you guys don't mind but I posted links of a couple of your photos to the Dapol forum - if that's an issue let me know and I'll happily remove them - however, hopefully someone from Dapol will respond.  I have the two DRS models en route to me and I really don't have the time and patience to be messing around with these ridiculous issues at the present time.

Edited by YesTor

I've had my hands on a 68005 this evening.  (I've not been to the shop today, one was brought home by my good lady)

What I have noted is that the light lenses appear to be secured by a form of tacky glue, which makes them removable.

It seems that the "Rubbed off" paint is not such, but actually smears of glue which have turned black.

Not an ideal solution, but a wipe with a damp cloth (or a baby wipe in my case) has cleaned up the offending smudges 

A couple of the light lenses were protruding, but these pushed back into place, with the tack-glue holding them where they are supposed to be.

the nameplates are glued with a hard glue - be very careful as they will ping off and the glue takes the top layer of print with it, fortunately all under the plate on my attempt.

The only other issue I found on my example was less than perfect application of the yellow on the pointy nose bits directly beneath the cab window.  On of the points is missing a bit of the yellow, which does detract from the appearance.    Other than that, and without actually looking inside the model (yet) it seems like a nice model.

Edited by Trains4U

Just a thought but could some of the wonky nameplates just be an optical illusion? I agree that in RS4's photo of Defiant it certainly does look wonky but sometimes camera lens effects can worsen an existing optical illusion. I'm just wondering if due to the shallow angle of the green 'swooshy' lines under the nameplates it gives the illusion of the plate not being straight?

Personally I think I'd rather have been left to stick them on myself! Probably with something less permanent than Dapol have used by the sound of it too!  

Just a thought but could some of the wonky nameplates just be an optical illusion? I agree that in RS4's photo of Defiant it certainly does look wonky but sometimes camera lens effects can worsen an existing optical illusion. I'm just wondering if due to the shallow angle of the green 'swooshy' lines under the nameplates it gives the illusion of the plate not being straight?

Personally I think I'd rather have been left to stick them on myself! Probably with something less permanent than Dapol have used by the sound of it too!  

Maybe an idea is china ship models in just a kit of parts to complete ourselves, 1) to cut model RRP's and 2) to ensure high standards of build quality that are often lacking? Just a tongue in cheek idea......however...... 

Maybe an idea is china ship models in just a kit of parts to complete ourselves, 1) to cut model RRP's and 2) to ensure high standards of build quality that are often lacking? Just a tongue in cheek idea......however...... 

Yes, that was basically Vi-trains' approach!

Don't get me wrong, I love the pre-fitted buffer beam detail, that looks great and can be a pain to do on some models, but nameplates are something I'd rather 'get wrong' myself or preferably stick on with something that is removable! 

• RMweb Premium

In the Rails video, aside from one slightly wonky nameplate, at the end, the handrail round the cab also appears to have popped out at the top.

Looks fantastic otherwise

Edited by amwells

Let Please remember people's jobs could be at risk here, I think one has already gone. Neil has promised full and frank discussion soon. I suggest we are patient until then and shows us his are the experience and safe pair of hands Dapol has needed.

Don't forget there are a significant number of people who have made a significant investment with Dapol and in return are effectively are supporting them as a business. If the business is to remain positive then tough times are sometimes needed. If the rumour you suggest is true it does not mean things will get better for us the end customer they could stay the same, get better or even get worse. Time will tell we just won't know until we have put our hands in our pockets and the next product lands on our door mats in the distant furure... then it's all too late again but many will just accept some of the quality issues as they have waited so long to own the model. Sounds like a pretty good business model to me!