RMweb

Dapol's new Class 68 locomotives

Nobby (John)

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Ian Hargrave said:

Oh dear.Dapol gets it in the neck again .At least they actually have responded which is at least positive.They are not the only manufacturer to have suffered mistakes on delivery. Let’s be fair .These things happen with remote production facilities I’m afraid.

I think I'm justified in being a bit miffed. Those grab rails are a pretty visible part of the loco's "face" and customer fitting will be to say the least "interesting". Will we get sent a drilling template with the new parts that are promised...

Chris H

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

Being late to the party I only own 68016 and 68018 so at least they match but it does feel like I'm missing out a little compared to earlier batches. In 2022 they are incredibly good value for money though.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, DanielP said:

Being late to the party I only own 68016 and 68018 so at least they match but it does feel like I'm missing out a little compared to earlier batches. In 2022 they are incredibly good value for money though.

Out of interest-  will you contact Dapol and register for the grabs when they make them available?

Chris H

I'm not sure, I certainly don't plan to start drilling holes and I don't want to make a mess trying to glue them. So I will probably contact them but depends how easy they are to fit if I will actually do it!

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Gilbert said:

Out of interest-  will you contact Dapol and register for the grabs when they make them available?

Chris H

I did this afternoon having read about this issue here and they have asked me to confirm my address so they can be sent out when the handrails are available, which I have now done.

I will have to ask my fitter/technician whether he can install them for me or whether it is likely to cause too much damage to the finish!  I am not very keen on heavy weathering. Be far too fiddly for me to attempt it with my eyesight.

21 minutes ago, DanielP said:

This was my first, and I paid for the DCC sound fitted version too so it is a little disappointing. In comparison to what H. have missed/removed/deleted from their recent Class 60 models it seem pretty minor though.

I am not a class 68 expert and I admit I had not noticed that these handrails were missing from the model compared to the previous versions.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Gilbert said:

I think I'm justified in being a bit miffed. Those grab rails are a pretty visible part of the loco's "face" and customer fitting will be to say the least "interesting". Will we get sent a drilling template with the new parts that are promised...

Chris H

68023 is on eBay…..with handrails…..now ….at £160 .

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, norfolkchinaclay said:

This was my first, and I paid for the DCC sound fitted version too so it is a little disappointing. In comparison to what H. have missed/removed/deleted from their recent Class 60 models it seem pretty minor though.

I am not a class 68 expert and I admit I had not noticed that these handrails were missing from the model compared to the previous versions.

What is missed/removed/deleted from recent 60s?

AFAIIA, it was the user fitted detail pack with the end deflector plate and air pipes.

Was there anything else?

Not something as important as the corner handrails that are part of the "face" of the loco.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, norfolkchinaclay said:

I think I'd be more upset about this than some detail pack items and IIRC some changes to the detailing through the grilles.

19 minutes ago, newbryford said:

Was there anything else?

I think they used to have more detail behind the side grilles, or it was more visible. My only two are recent ones 62 and 95, which having gone to look at 62 now for the sake of this exercise makes me scratch my head at what it looks like today 🤣

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, TomScrut said:

I think I'd be more upset about this than some detail pack items and IIRC some changes to the detailing through the grilles.

I think they used to have more detail behind the side grilles, or it was more visible. My only two are recent ones 62 and 95, which having gone to look at 62 now for the sake of this exercise makes me scratch my head at what it looks like today 🤣

Forgot about the behind grille detail. The change was the lack of painting of it.

Even so, that is far easier to fix than missing handrails.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

I will be returning mine for a refund, shouldn’t be expected to potentially drill holes into a new model because of an oversight by the manufacturer and it QC arrangements. If this was a Hornby model I think opinion would be a lot stronger, given recent threads etc. 

Had the body shell had holes already, different story, I’d keep and fit, but with the location and positioning, I think it would be easy to get it wrong and then you have a expense mess. 

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Ncarter2 said:

I will be returning mine for a refund, shouldn’t be expected to potentially drill holes into a new model because of an oversight by the manufacturer and it QC arrangements. If this was a Hornby model I think opinion would be a lot stronger, given recent threads etc. 

Had the body shell had holes already, different story, I’d keep and fit, but with the location and positioning, I think it would be easy to get it wrong and then you have a expense mess. 

I'm genuinely conflicted. I'd like to hear what Dapol propose.

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, Gilbert said:

I'm genuinely conflicted. I'd like to hear what Dapol propose.

I can understand that, I wanted a TPE version to go with my DRS one. I have reached out to my retailer and will be popping in Friday. I can’t see Dapol having a solution by then, I also don’t want to be in a position I cannot return later, so will probably opt for the refund. 

1 minute ago, Gilbert said:

I just composed  a lengthy message to Dapol to send via their contact form and the website crashed and would not send it....I know its only toy trains but...

I tried contacting several times, same thing.

• RMweb Premium
20 hours ago, WisTramwayMan said:

Looks like someone there hasn't done their homework or checking correctly.

Methinks you are correct.

It was late and I'm still miffed at Dapol doing Felix after I renamed/renumbered my 68032.

😉

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, Ncarter2 said:

I can understand that, I wanted a TPE version to go with my DRS one. I have reached out to my retailer and will be popping in Friday. I can’t see Dapol having a solution by then, I also don’t want to be in a position I cannot return later, so will probably opt for the refund. 

I tried contacting several times, same thing.

Try sales@Dapol.co.uk

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, newbryford said:

Methinks you are correct.

It was late and I'm still miffed at Dapol doing Felix after I renamed/renumbered my 68032.

😉

At least yours, I assume, has the handrails though…

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

It gets worse, since they've obviously used the early body the actual handrails that are on the model (the front ones) are wrong because they have the smaller (original) mounting points.

Dapol released anything this year that doesn't have a glaring issue? 😒

Edited by Kaput

8 hours ago, Kaput said:

It gets worse, since they've obviously used the early body the actual handrails that are on the model (the front ones) are wrong because they have the smaller (original) mounting points.

Doesn't look that way to me:

Zoomed in on @APOLLOs pic a few pages ago:

Screenshot_20220714-073844_Chrome.thumb.jpg.3d09c736518004e385dd29bca1f45589.jpg

Then zoomed in on Kernow's pic:

Screenshot_20220714-073743_Chrome.jpg.21d591ee587ef63105de29b8a58ef17a.jpg

And the original rails for reference:

Class 68001 Berlin Innotrans 2014

They do however look like they are bent a bit strangely on that model.

• Friendly/supportive 1