Dapol's new Class 68 locomotives

Nobby (John)

As I said I would before, I have now turned my 68034 into 68033:

20220716_214542.thumb.jpg.9f4decd83b3d8ed65a84509491610f96.jpg20220716_214601.thumb.jpg.59f570702aa71fd1c62bf9c182450228.jpg

Needs varnish putting on the transfers to seal them (not looking forward to this bit) and as I took the pic I noticed there was a buffer missing (which I have, just wasn't sure which loco it had fallen off).

I am fairly happy with my efforts (which is all that matters really)

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

On the subject of the missing rails on the recent release I assume Dapol are not telling retailers as my second model was from a model shop who were unaware of the omission until I told them.

Chris

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
Just now, martin_l_jones said:

I sincerely hope it’s not the same person at Dapol signing the Class 59 production sample off as it is the latest batch of Class 68’s

This was part of the email from Dapol...

Thank you for your email and our apologies for this error which has come about due to a

Member of staff leaving.

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Gilbert said:

On the subject of the missing rails on the recent release I assume Dapol are not telling retailers as my second model was from a model shop who were unaware of the omission until I told them.

Chris

I think you are right. I returned mine to RoS while I was in Sheffield, I mentioned it to them and none of them had any idea about it. Very poor of Dapol to be fair, especially as they have acknowledged the fault. Their response to my email was also very short, I asked about proposals, possible replacement body shells etc, all they said was the CEO was aware. 

• RMweb Premium
23 minutes ago, Gilbert said:

Thank you for your email and our apologies for this error which has come about due to a

Member of staff leaving.

At least you had a better response. 

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, Ncarter2 said:

At least you had a better response. 

I've followed up in a further email - IMHO  if they are not going to replace shells they need to offer a handrail fitting service,

Drilling or gluing a new shell by the buyer is not acceptable....

I think they are hoping for damage limitation by not doing an announcement and only when they have an idea of numbers will they decide on a solution for those of us who have noticed...

Nothing on their website yet.

FWIW I don't think much of the quality of sound on the Dapol fitted version...which I got via Rails...

Edited by Gilbert
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
37 minutes ago, Gilbert said:

I've followed up in a further email - IMHO  if they are not going to replace shells they need to offer a handrail fitting service,

Drilling or gluing a new shell by the buyer is not acceptable....

I think they are hoping for damage limitation by not doing an announcement and only when they have an idea of numbers will they decide on a solution for those of us who have noticed...

Nothing on their website yet.

FWIW I don't think much of the quality of sound on the Dapol fitted version...which I got via Rails...

The question to ask is it the genuine Dapol sound supplied item,the boxes are just DCC ready and the red sound fitted sticker on box,the genuine ones have the S on the box part number and are supposedly only supplied direct from Dapol.

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, ERIC ALLTORQUE said:

The question to ask is it the genuine Dapol sound supplied item,the boxes are just DCC ready and the red sound fitted sticker on box,the genuine ones have the S on the box part number and are supposedly only supplied direct from Dapol.

I think they are as I've been offered an-e-version of the Dapol DCC sound manual by Rails following an email. Promised in the instructions but not included. I do feel a bit second-class as a customer.

I was just quite underwhelmed by the quality and depth of sound when I sat the loco on my test track.

My other version - due today - is non-sound and will be getting a Digitrains package installed.

Chris

12 hours ago, Gilbert said:

Drilling or gluing a new shell by the buyer is not acceptable

If it's not acceptable then you can return it.

I know you don't want to do that, but ultimately it might be the only way to get what you want.

If they sit on the shelves for this exact reason then I expect retailers (i.e. Dapols actual customers) will have something to say about it which means they might do more.

They do look absurd without them in my opinion.

3 hours ago, martin_l_jones said:

What’s a real shame is that’s two significant errors on what is one of the best RTR models on the market.

What's the 2nd error, or are you saying historically there have been 2 screw ups because of the misprint the first time round?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TomScrut said:

What's the 2nd error, or are you saying historically there have been 2 screw ups because of the misprint the first time round?

Yes, badly positioned name plates and glue marks and yes, the miss positioned printing on the first release, WHICH, were all replaced FOC with new bodies, including a service of return and get it replaced or return and replace yourself. 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, TomScrut said:

If it's not acceptable then you can return it.

I know you don't want to do that, but ultimately it might be the only way to get what you want.

Sadly - I won't get I want will I? Just my cash back...

16 minutes ago, Gilbert said:

Sadly - I won't get I want will I? Just my cash back...

My point is that they are more likely to do something about it if stock is sat on retailer's shelves. If everyone keeps buying despite the complaining on here then they will still sell out so why should they sort it?

It creates more commercial pressure if they aren't actually selling.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, TomScrut said:

My point is that they are more likely to do something about it if stock is sat on retailer's shelves. If everyone keeps buying despite the complaining on here then they will still sell out so why should they sort it?

It creates more commercial pressure if they aren't actually selling.

One issue with your (agree with you though) is that once in the shop the passing footfall may not be so astute as you and others on here, I wouldn’t be quite in the know without you guys and the RMWEB and they look such a good model that they will still sell

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

34 minutes ago, Balgrayhill said:

Sending models back for such a simple solution is a bit like cutting your nose off to spite your face

If fitting handrails is "unacceptable" then for me the only solution is to return it. Keeping it without the handrails is more absurd than rejecting it IMO.

If I had one, I'd just fit the handrails and be done with it, but keeping it hoping they have a change of heart on the solution lets everyone away with it I think.

Edited by TomScrut

• RMweb Gold

Tbh, were lucky to have handrails to fit, some models are going for moulded on, and its take it or leave it if its accurate or not.

for fitting these, if drilling a hole is daunting (and understand why), then maybe buy a set of handrails, cut off its nodule so its flush to the body.

Then use a bit of masking tape to position on the body.

When youve got it perfected, lift the tape taking the handrail with it, use a cocktail stick with a miniscule amount of glue, to both ends of the handrail, and gently lower back to place, but use the tape to hold it (dont squash/ push the handrail, so the glue doesnt squidge)… and let it dry.

you could substitute glue for grey handrail paint… this isnt a load bearing or a manual handling part.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Thank you for all your comments gentlemen - I shall await Dapol's official response - once they have one - and will then decide what to do. If anyone is in any doubt that I can do "modelling" do please have a look at my threads and various magazine articles ...I'd like to think I also speak for others who are not so fortunate in their dexterity and skill set but would like the model as advertised....and yes I know - I could return it.

Chris Hopper

Edited by Gilbert
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
On 19/07/2022 at 19:51, Gilbert said:

Member of staff leaving.

Just be thankful that the member of staff who left wasn't the one who put on the wheels!  😃

• Funny 5

On 21/07/2022 at 09:28, Colin_McLeod said:

Just be thankful that the member of staff who left wasn't the one who put on the wheels!  😃

I wonder if the errors "caused by a member of staff leaving" also potentially extend to the Manors and the Rails of Sheffield D1s ?

Edited by WisTramwayMan
slight moderation

On 20/07/2022 at 21:20, Balgrayhill said:

I know there are cries of "we shouldn't have to do this to a new model" but sometimes a little bit of modelling* is good for the soul?

But then perhaps we are past the old fashionedness of modelling locos?

I mean, the thought of buying a brass kit and soldering it together, painting it and whatnot, all seems completly out of sorts in todays world, especially with manufacturers producing everything ready to run.

Would you buy a new car and expect to have to stick the door handle on yourself?

Expectations have moved on - people will model track and layout but when it comes to locos...  I don't think that's an accepted practice any more.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

23 minutes ago, Balgrayhill said:

I don't think I've ever read anything more ridiculous on this, or any, forum

I can only think that the OP was making a deliberate attempt to start a furore .....!

CJI.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

Not withstanding the views on whether buyer should be fitting the missing handrails - and should have the skills and be sufficiently be happy to do so - I remain interested in what Dapol will do. I emailed with my thoughts last week but have received no response.....

Chris H

• Like 1