Dapol's new Class 68 locomotives

Nobby (John)

Yes I completely agree after all it cannot be easy trying to create a model of a brand new class of loco in both scales at the same time.

I'm not saying this to be controversial but I find it very hard to grasp how it takes 2 + years to produce a model!

I'm guessing permission to produce the model and liveries was sorted before Dapol even announced they'd be making this model.

With 3D scanners, 3D printers etc available now a days I'd expect they'd be able to make a pretty accurate model in a couple of months, max.

I imagine it'll use an off the shelf motor and so I struggle to see why it really takes such a long time to complete. I shouldn't think the real thing took much longer to design and build from scratch.

Edited by topsy11
  • Like 1

A couple of months is pushing it a bit tbh. Design and manufacturing can and is normally done across international borders. Once an EP sample is produced it's sent to the company for amendment(s). It is very rare for anything to be accurately produced first time. The tooling may need to be adjusted or modified. The artwork has to be made. When everything is signed off a slot needs to be assigned and this all depends on what the factory may also be producing...then shipping. It all adds up and takes time.

I desperately want this loco too but I'd rather wait and they get it right than have an inferior model.

I hope that model railway manufacturers don't go down the route that software developers do ie. release games that need multi GB patches on day one! - Playstation and Xbox owners will know what I'm saying!

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I can see what your saying.

As I mentioned on the previous page it seems that Bachmann did a fantastic job producing the Class 70 in 16 months whereas it will have took Dapol an additional 7 months to produce the Class 70 if its released in December this year.

I am looking forward to seeing the Dapol's efforts at producing the Class 68 in 00 Gauge though just because I haven't bought a Dapol model ever before. It must be more complicated though for Dapol because they are making the models in two scales at once whereas when Bachmann were producing the Class 70 it was released in 00 first and then in N quite a while later. I suppose they are just taking their time because they probably want to get the model right first time with no faults. Besides if they have any problems with the models they will not just have problems in one scale but two.

Don't forget though they will have to mass produce the models in both scales in at least two liveries (DRS & Chiltern) if not three now that the ScotRail livery has appeared. So that's two scales in at least two liveries possibly three at the same time. I also remember that some of the Class 68s have different sized fuel tanks to others. I am not sure if this will be incorporated into the Dapol models in both scales but that would take time if is by ensuring that each model has the correct sized fuel tanks. This will be specific to the running number which means that their are differences that we might not see or notice that could influence how the long the production of the model takes.

I certainly want them to get it right and create a nice looking realistic model. I sometimes play Train Sim on the PC and know how infuriating it is to receive a brand new DLC that has stupid faults that should never happen!!

Two years is still hard to comprehend but hey ho!

Two years is still hard to comprehend but hey ho!

If it was the only thing that Dapol were doing, then yes. But how many forthcoming models are in the pipeline? At each stage of the process from initial CAD to final production, the model is in a queue with the rest of them (plus production re-runs of models).

• RMweb Premium

Time soon does add up. I mean I never used to realise how such a long time the whole process takes.

The website was updated nearly 7 weeks ago saying awaiting tooling slot. It still stays the same thing today. It just shows that very little if anything at all has been done with the model in the last 7 weeks. That's nearly two months of the model just sat their.

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Hi all,

Just noticed this on the Class 68 page on the Dapol website. The information has changed...

"In Tooling Now. Awaiting permissions before confirming models."

It now sounds very promising that we will see these locos arriving at the back end of this year! Hopefully just in time for Christmas. I assume that as soon as the tooling has been finally checked over etc that we will then hear what liveries and running numbers are going to be produced in each scale.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Hopefully a transfermaker will get DRS / Scotail decals to suit MK2 stock , DRS from R3 Resprays on the market now in 00 and N Railtec have had a look at Scotrail so lets see what comes!

I took look forward to DRS. CT and ScR in N !

Robert     

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Yes I am hoping that R3Sprays will make some ScotRail transfers to and repaint some MK2s in this livery.

After looking at the ScotRail livery carefully which has been applied to 68006, 68007 and the MK2s it looks very smart and impressive. At first I didn't think I would be that keen but I really like it. Its also good that DRS liveried 68004 has appeared on the ScotRail trains too as these could be used to haul 00 Gauge MK2s as well!

Looking forward to seeing what numbers, names and liveries are produced in both scales.

• 1 month later...

Yes I am hoping that R3Sprays will make some ScotRail transfers to and repaint some MK2s in this livery.

After looking at the ScotRail livery carefully which has been applied to 68006, 68007 and the MK2s it looks very smart and impressive. At first I didn't think I would be that keen but I really like it. Its also good that DRS liveried 68004 has appeared on the ScotRail trains too as these could be used to haul 00 Gauge MK2s as well!

Looking forward to seeing what numbers, names and liveries are produced in both scales.

you mean like this , your wish may be granted. Licence signed  deal done go for itpost-3522-0-92107800-1433778118.jpg

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Thank you for the info both! It's very much appreciated.

I keep checking the Dapol page regarding the Class 68s but their are still no updates as yet. It has said "In tooling now. Awaiting permissions before confirming models" for around six weeks so I don't think it will be long until we find out what is been produced.

I have bought some Hornby DRS Compass MK2s as I know that these have been hauled by the ScotRail Class 68s. I can also use these coaches on Cumbrian Coast passenger trains and Anglian passenger trains too.

You can wait 6 month for a Factory design slot & production slot, on top or this you have samples X 3 to check, modify and check pain specification.  And then you have to deal with the Chinese promises and cock ups!!

That is why 2-3 Years is a standard time slot.

Charlie

I wasn't complaining about any time scale.

I was simply stating the facts from the Dapol website.

We will just have to keep an eye on the website and see when it is updated and what the update says.

you never know  you may even get 68006 to go with 007

• Like 1

Transfers for the class 68 are imminent. Transfers for the matching mark 2s are already available:

http://www.railtec-models.com/catalog.php?search_str=saltire

Thanks,

Steve

I am at a loss tounderstand why you would want transfers for the 68 as both of the locos in this livery are to be produced fully finished and are covered by the licence I presume

I am at a loss tounderstand why you would want transfers for the 68 as both of the locos in this livery are to be produced fully finished and are covered by the licence I presume

Given that it's now official that the 68 will be released in Saltire livery, it's unlikely we'll push these over the line for the 68 anytime soon. Fact is, much of the artwork is already done anyway as we have the Saltire livery for other vehicle types so it would not have been any hardship to also include the 68. That said, there are plenty of occasions where people ask for transfers to reproduce items which are RTR for a variety of reasons - perhaps the RTR item is no longer available, has an error and is unsuitable (like the latest HST), or just simply those who don't wish to pay full price for an RTR model and prefer to respray their own from a cheap second-hand donor model.

Edited by railtec-models