Dapol's new Class 68 locomotives

Nobby (John)

• RMweb Premium

I'm just going to snap them all up I think as I have seen how fast some locos sell out and if you don't buy them straight away nowadays there gone.

I was debating weather to buy the Chiltern 68s as I don't have any silver/grey Chiltern MK3 coaches but I am just going to use Compass MK2s to save having another rake of coaches resprayed. I am also going to buy some Dapol IOAs I think for them to work the 6U76 and 6U77 freight trains as they have appeared on these workings before. The Chiltern 68s will see some use either way :no:

• RMweb Premium

Are these available to buy in 00 Gauge as ready to run models?

If so where can they be bought from please?

Thank you in advance.

Yes by Hornby. Many places sell them. the internet is a wonderful place to start searching..................

• Like 1

You can use the Chiltern 68's with mk3 blue/grey coaches.

Not for much longer though!

A refurb is on the horizon for the blue slam door set. And for n gaugers, Joel does know because I have told him! I will work on it more in October.

There will be some 00 decorated samples shown at the Dapol club day at the beginning of October.

Alistair

Edited by alibuchan

• RMweb Premium

I think at some stage the silver/grey MK3s and DVT will become available but just not before the release of the Dapol Class 68 which is now planned for next year.

For the moment though I'm happy to run my Compass MK2s with the Chiltern 68s as it just saves me buying the blue set of Chiltern coaches which are currently available.

• RMweb Premium

True enough but they aren't even in any 2015/2016 catalogues as yet so they won't be released this year, probably not next year so probably some time in 2017 maybe later. So I have plenty of time to save some more money haha! If I'm honest in a way I am slightly pleased they aren't available as yet because for a rake of six coaches and DVT you are probably looking at a good £250 and that would just be another massive cost to add to my never-ending wish list haha! Not to mention if you bought both Chiltern 68s (010 and 014) and you wanted two rakes of coaches you would need twelve coaches and two DVTS resulting in the total cost been around £500.

Besides I might as well make as much use of my DRS Compass MK2s as possible.

• RMweb Premium

I think at some stage the silver/grey MK3s and DVT will become available but just not before the release of the Dapol Class 68 which is now planned for next year.

For the moment though I'm happy to run my Compass MK2s with the Chiltern 68s as it just saves me buying the blue set of Chiltern coaches which are currently available.

Not unless they modify the mouldings. (And Hornby are unlikely to do that to help sales of a competitors loco)

The Chiltern Mk3's have different doors and some of the DVT's are generator fitted with very obvious door grilles.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/banburybob/8629674340/in/photolist-e9zkwC-fdyxGL-dFrsW6-9ykE5X-pLY1Kh-uvgsA6-pUN6Ms-d5dXJL-xdREow-wHTmLX-eT3t31-oSowYp-ed1nAK-gZprjT-pnW9ik-b4m2Pe-p7Biyc-aPSp6i-e7oXtg-jGawWb-jG8fKt-jG92T2-s1cN4f-n9E6X2-qK39jN-ovkKXm-abQyxz-nZfvCe-oFyoMY-wgUHUv-skZe5T-sdZ3hC-rJZtPP-pV25Mp-91EsmV-f8JJAm-pUN71U-qPvcCU-91Eu1r-ur6seH-oSSCdz-uMhFCd-uedTWt-vjqkay-sQvsuv-dMEwDq-dCcT91-dCcUeA-e9rzkM-dC7qRM

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for the info Mick! I wasn't aware of that. That is very true Hornby won't do these modifications to help Dapol sell there Chiltern 68s. Like you say they are rivals and no doubt if they did Dapol would have a huge increase in sales which of course Hornby wouldn't want as they want people to buy there locos.

I'm not fussed though about Chiltern MK3s. I will just get more use out of my Compass MK2s with a bit of swopping and changing for different loco hauled trains.

I think that the DRS liveried pair of 68s will be the most popular because they can work with just about anything modern image whereas the ScotRail liveried pair would require ScotRail liveried MK2s and the Chiltern liveried pair would require Chiltern MK3s, both of which are currently unavailable as a standard ready to run model. That's if you wanted to be prototypical of course. However as mentioned before by yourself we could run the Chiltern liveried 68s with Dapol IOAs for to recreate the 6U76 and 6U77 trains in reality.