Dapol's new Class 68 locomotives

Nobby (John)

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Just out of interest has anyone heard anything more about the release of the first batch of the Dapol Class 68s in 00 & N Gauge?

I have just checked the Dapol website and it was the 9th of June when it was posted onto the news page about the ScotRail liveried Class 68. From a quick check this appears to have been eight weeks ago today. The Class 68 page has remained the same for a few months now and says "In tooling now. Awaiting permissions before confirming models".

A few weeks ago I bought three 00 Gauge ScotRail liveried MK2 coaches to run with a ScotRail Class 68 when it is released. I did say I was just going to use my Compass coaches with the ScotRail 68 to save money but I just couldn't resist buying the coaches in such a fantastic striking livery to match 68006 and 68007. I'm hoping to buy another batch of three soon to create a prototypical rake of six ScotRail MK2s to be hauled by 68006/68007 or both :no:

Really looking forward to the Class 68 in 00 Gauge now! :no:

Just out of interest has anyone heard anything more about the release of the first batch of the Dapol Class 68s in 00 & N Gauge?

I have just checked the Dapol website and it was the 9th of June when it was posted onto the news page about the ScotRail liveried Class 68. From a quick check this appears to have been eight weeks ago today. The Class 68 page has remained the same for a few months now and says "In tooling now. Awaiting permissions before confirming models".

A few weeks ago I bought three 00 Gauge ScotRail liveried MK2 coaches to run with a ScotRail Class 68 when it is released. I did say I was just going to use my Compass coaches with the ScotRail 68 to save money but I just couldn't resist buying the coaches in such a fantastic striking livery to match 68006 and 68007. I'm hoping to buy another batch of three soon to create a prototypical rake of six ScotRail MK2s to be hauled by 68006/68007 or both :no:

Really looking forward to the Class 68 in 00 Gauge now! :no:

On their facebook page they said that Class 68 tooling samples will be out soon.....So probably in a few weeks. :)

Edited by WDP4D

On their facebook page they said that Class 68 tooling samples will be out soon..... Cannot define "soon" though

As soon as manufacturers announce new items, some retailers add them to their websites, marked *!COMING SOON!*

The definition would therefore appear to be, "up to four years".

Going by that, you can accuse me of being an incurable optimist.

• RMweb Premium

Thank you for letting me know.

I am really looking forward to this model now! Dapol have a really good opportunity here to produce a brand new loco in not one scale but two (00 & N Gauge). They also have an opportunity to produce at least two liveries (DRS & ScotRail) and if they have permission from Chiltern a third livery been Chiltern grey and silver. This could really give them an opportunity to impress and I hope they seize on it. I for one will be buying a few of these Class 68s in 00 Gauge. If the Chiltern livery is released I think I am going to give this a miss just because I don't have anything to run with Chiltern 68s. Any DRS & ScotRail liveried 68s though I will definitely be buying :no:

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I would like to think that the Chiltern livery will appear too.

I'm not that fussed about buying one in Chiltern livery but I maybe tempted as I think all of them have now worked engineers trains off Crewe to replace DRS liveried 68s which have been unavailable or they have been on test with a DRS liveried 68 so it might be worth buying one to add some interest and variety :no:

• 3 weeks later...

Courtesy of KMRC:
Dapol are going to produce 6 Class 68's in OO scale.

4D-022-001 68002 "Intrepid" - DRS Livery

4D-022-002 68005 "Defiant" - DRS Livery

4D-022-003 68010 - Chiltern Livery

4D-022-004 68014 - Chiltern Livery

4D-022-005 68006 "Daring" - ScotRail Livery

4D-022-006 68007 "Valiant" - ScotRail Livery

http://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com/search_suggest

Regards,

Matt

Edited by TheSoutherner

• RMweb Premium

Thank you very much for posting that fantastic news! It's very much appreciated.

I have been checking the Dapol website every day hoping that something would be updated but it hasn't as yet.

I better get saving haha! I will be wanting 002, 005, 006 and 007 and possibly the Chiltern ones but then I would need coaching stock to run with them. Really looking forward to these models now. Hopefully they will feature cab lighting too! :no:

Surprised at that announcement, I'd have expected one of each livery to begin with, maybe 2 DRS, and then additional identities at a later date. Not really left anywhere to go from here? Good news for modellers though!

I'm hoping the 'n' models aren't too far behind...

• RMweb Premium

I thought the same. In 00 Gauge I expected two in DRS livery and then one in Chiltern livery and one in ScotRail livery with another Chiltern and the other ScotRail livery to be produced at a later date. I am very pleased though that they are going to produce two of each livery in 00 Gauge.

I have read on the Dapol website though "first batch of models"  which suggests that they might produce more in DRS livery and Chiltern livery after the first batch.

There are also 68016-68032 on order so there might possibly be more liveries within this number range.

Edited by DRS Crewe On A Mission

You should also remember that Chiltern run a traditional blue grey slam door MK3 set twice a day SX with a class 68. In time this set will become silver but will retain the slam doors so you can get away with not modifying a slam door set and remain protypical. The set will start going away for work in Bristol during the autumn. An ex Virgin coach is currently away which when returned will then give the float to keep the set at the correct length during the program.

Edited by banburysaint

Courtesy of KMRC:

Dapol are going to produce 6 Class 68's in OO scale.

4D-022-001 680......

Ticks all the boxes, I have a feeling that the two DRS liveries shall sell out very quickly as I understand it. Certainly good scope for a second run in a couple of years time, seeing as tooling/design etc shall be covered in this batch, but a good choice to spread this production run over all of the current liveries.

Now...what is more likely? Bachmann and Honrby release the Mk2f Scotrail and Mk3 Chiltern liveries in the main range or a very nice Model Rail magazine commissions limited runs?

Brilliant price too, even at RRP it represents outstanding value for the level of detail we can expect...especially the paint jobs!

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Mick for the photo of 68010 on a freight train!

I think I might be very tempted to have both of the Chiltern 68s too as they do look very good and smart and like you say they can work freight trains as well. In fact I think all of the Chiltern 68s have now debuted on one freight working or another mainly 6U76 and 6U77 workings so it would be prototypical to model them on freight trains.

Saying that I already have some DRS Compass MK2s so I don't suppose there is any reason why the Chiltern 68s couldn't work atop these coaches just to save on buying a rake of grey/silver coaches.

I have already commissioned a fellow RMWebber to respray me a rake of ScotRail MK2s to work with the ScotRail 68s because I haven't seen Hornby or Bachmann advertise these anywhere and it doesn't look like they have any plans to produce them at the moment.

The delivery date on the KMRC website shows 2016 which I am actually quite pleased about. I think Dapol have said previously that they would be delivered late this year but what with me wanting to buy four DRS 37s and four DRS 57/3s that's already a lot of money to pay out so at least if they are released next year it will give me the time to save up for all six.

I'm not complaining at all at £118.99 RRP I think it was as Dapol have been very confident to produce this brand new model in two scales and as you say we do expect a high quality livery on the models, a good finish and good detailing so I am sure they will be worth every penny.

• RMweb Premium

I have also been thinking that maybe even at the moment Dapol can take the Class 68 project elsewhere.

They haven't said there going to produce 68008 or 68009 which are used on both freight trains and the Chiltern loco hauled trains. I know that the DRS livery they wear is the same as 002 and 005 which they are going to produce but there duties are different which makes these two 68s a little more interesting.

I'm also sure that once 68016 onwards start arriving which I think the first batch are due later on this year Dapol will produce some of these as there will be more running numbers, names and possibly liveries to apply to the model.

• RMweb Premium

What I find very strange is that KMRC have announced which 68s Dapol are producing in 00 Gauge before Dapol have updated it themselves onto there website and Facebook page.

I have also just checked Ehattons they still have the on order photo for the N Gauge Class 68s but since a few days ago since I last checked the 00 Gauge Class 68 page has been removed so maybe there updating there website alike KMRC have done with details of which 00 Gauge Class 68s are going to be produced.

Is everyone pre-ordering them or are people just going to wait until they are released and buy them on the day?

Which ones and how many is everyone buying?

I am getting all six I think. I am definitely having both DRS liveried models and both ScotRail liveried models and I think I am going to have both Chiltern ones too. I can't afford to have a rake of silver/grey Chiltern coaches resprayed as I am currently buying and commissioning a fellow RMWebber to produce me Compass and ScotRail MK2s. So instead the Chiltern liveried 68s will work with the Compass MK2s on Chiltern loco hauled trains and freight trains for me :no:

What I find very strange is that KMRC have announced which 68s Dapol are producing in 00 Gauge before Dapol have updated it themselves onto there website and Facebook page.

I have also just checked Ehattons they still have the on order photo for the N Gauge Class 68s but since a few days ago since I last checked the 00 Gauge Class 68 page has been removed so maybe there updating there website alike KMRC have done with details of which 00 Gauge Class 68s are going to be produced.

Is everyone pre-ordering them or are people just going to wait until they are released and buy them on the day?

Which ones and how many is everyone buying?

I am getting all six I think. I am definitely having both DRS liveried models and both ScotRail liveried models and I think I am going to have both Chiltern ones too. I can't afford to have a rake of silver/grey Chiltern coaches resprayed as I am currently buying and commissioning a fellow RMWebber to produce me Compass and ScotRail MK2s. So instead the Chiltern liveried 68s will work with the Compass MK2s on Chiltern loco hauled trains and freight trains for me :no:

I don't tend to pre-order much, if anything, brand new. I'd rather wait until they are in the hands of the public to make my choice.

If I do get one, it will just be one. 68005 in DRS Livery me thinks...

• RMweb Premium

I'm the same. The only models I have ever pre-ordered are the five DRS/NB Class 47s from Rail Exclusive which had to be pre-ordered because you can't buy them off the shelves and they are all Limited Editions. I think with these six Class 68s I will be either going to look at them in a shop or look online on Ehattons because they normally upload several photos all from different angles giving you a good view of what you are buying.

I will definitely be having 005 too. I did think that 002 and 005 would be produced in DRS livery and I was right haha.

That's strange Tase because for me on Ehattons for the past couple of days there have been no 00 Gauge Class 68s appearing only a page for the N Gauge Class 68.

Thank you for the link.