expoEM Bracknell 13-14 May 2017

Gee Vee

A really nice show as usual. Plenty to keep me entertained and the standard of modelling is always something to aspire to. A good mix of trade and demo stands which I found interesting. Very hard to single out any layouts, but my favourites this year were London Road, Friday Bridge, Middle Peak, East Becton and Gweek. Please keep Expo EM in Bracknell in future if possible.

Cheers,

• Like 1

As usual I really enjoyed the show today. Since I model French H0, EXpoEM ought to be totally irrelevant to me but it's actually one of my favourite exhibitons and I always come home feeling inspired and with my wallet not too strained. 

An extremely good talk in the afternoon by t-b-g on the Buckingham Branch and it was also good to see some of Peter Denny's rolling stock. Thanks Tony and I hope Leighton Buzzard does come back to Bracknell. In the morning Richard Davies gave a very informative talk on the basic principles of signalling. It covered a lot of stuff that we may think we know but probably don't.

Both Richard and Tony are giving the same talks tomorrow so If you can get there just go!  If you don't mind walking a couple of hundred metres, the parking by the running track is always as empty as the main car park is full. It never fails to amuse me that people visiting leisure centre, presumably most of them to get some good healthy exercise, try to park as close to the main entrance as possible.

A really nice show as usual. Plenty to keep me entertained and the standard of modelling is always something to aspire to. A good mix of trade and demo stands which I found interesting. Very hard to single out any layouts, but my favourites this year were London Road, Friday Bridge, Middle Peak, East Becton and Gweek. Please keep Expo EM in Bracknell in future if possible.

Cheers,

I'd agree with virtually all of that, the layouts this year had something for everyone, all were exceptional but Pwhelli stood out for me, granted it was built by professionals but boy does it show, every element had a real gloss to it. To some it may appear a little too clinical, more a photo than a painting, but that doesn't take away that it's an outstanding interpretation of a very thorough piece of research.

Not a fan of Bracknell though, Bracknell's only more convenient if you live in, err....well, Bracknell. Almost two hours into London tonight, admittedly not helped by delays and diversions due to engineering, but five hours from leaving the show to getting back to East Midlands was a real slog.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I'd agree with virtually all of that, the layouts this year had something for everyone, all were exceptional but Pwhelli stood out for me, granted it was built by professionals but boy does it show, every element had a real gloss to it. To some it may appear a little too clinical, more a photo than a painting, but that doesn't take away that it's an outstanding interpretation of a very thorough piece of research.

Pwllheli also stood out for me. The back scene is a work of art and blends perfectly with the buildings in front of it.

I've been told 'London Road' won best Layout,  well done,  it is LNWR   :sungum: 
But they must have some recruited some better operators, if operation came into the mix....  :jester: 

• RMweb Premium

I've been told 'London Road' won best Layout,  well done,  it is LNWR   :sungum: 

But they must have some recruited some better operators, if operation came into the mix....  :jester: 

Did I see the pinchbars come out to get the Webb compound started this afternoon?

There ought to be a prize for best passenger rolling stock - LR would win that hands down too.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Who was the Ray Winstone lookalike I saw today, wearing an EMGS apron?

Ray Winstone. You tell him his track is the wrong gauge......

Another enjoyable and excellent show. Very tired after a long, but worthwhile weekend, catching up with a number of people and discussing matters DEMU with members and former members whilst helping with the stand (and attacking plastic coaches).

I'd concur with most thoughts, layouts and trade were good this year. I'd agree that Pwllheli is a well built layout but I wish that they would have got their stock out of 1st gear. I went to Bracknell intending to buy EM conversion sets for a Bmann Warship and prairie tank, but I realised that at least two of the layouts there were using locos which were out of the box OO with their wheels pushed out and they were running perfectly well. I don't think that this can be recommended for all OO wheel profiles but for later models it is the way that I am initially going to go as long as I can spread the wheels squarely. Think that the P4 layout Sandford & Banwell is worth a mention.

Edited by 60526

Yes, quite a few. I'll process them tomorrow when I'm not dozing off at the keyboard.

For anyone who can't wait, there are a few on the society's new twitter account - @EMGauge

A decent exhibition, some very high quality modelling on show, no bad models. seemed to be action on most layouts though the odd one was perhaps a little too slow.

Didn't spend much but always good to browse the finescale traders to see their latest wares.

• Like 1

Sandy,

thank you. Several of the operating team have asked to be introduced when we next see you at a show.

Did I see the pinchbars come out to get the Webb compound started this afternoon?

There ought to be a prize for best passenger rolling stock - LR would win that hands down too.

Thanks  Steve,

the stock attracted a lot of interest and positive comments. The Edwardian figures did too, several people enquiring about their genealogy.

The only loco we had haulage problems with was a Jubilee 4-4-0 four cylinder compound. This seemed to have adhesion problems and suffered severe slippage on occasion. This was built for John Redrup by a well known LNWR OO modeller. While the body and tender are very nice, having now seen another model he has built, we are now of the view that he hasn't fully grasped the best way to compensate/spring P4 locos.

• RMweb Premium

Sandy,

thank you. Several of the operating team have asked to be introduced when we next see you at a show.

Thanks  Steve,

the stock attracted a lot of interest and positive comments. The Edwardian figures did too, several people enquiring about their genealogy.

The only loco we had haulage problems with was a Jubilee 4-4-0 four cylinder compound. This seemed to have adhesion problems and suffered severe slippage on occasion. This was built for John Redrup by a well known LNWR OO modeller. While the body and tender are very nice, having now seen another model he has built, we are now of the view that he hasn't fully grasped the best way to compensate/spring P4 locos.

Hi Jol,

Out of interest, (a) how is the Jubilee compensated/sprung and (b) what is the current best practice for P4?  Many thanks

Brian.

Hi Jol,

Out of interest, (a) how is the Jubilee compensated/sprung and (b) what is the current best practice for P4?  Many thanks

Brian.

Sandy,  thank you. Several of the operating team have asked to be introduced when we next see you at a show.

I will be glad to meet them, on the assumption it's the same people I witnessed before, I wasn't at Bletchley as you know, but the previous time, it wasn't good, not all the operators, just some.

As has be proven on a number of layouts over the years at exhibitions,

a good modeller is not necessarily a good operator and the other way round too.  

When I operated on Bob Essery's 'Dewsbury', we had the same situation,

.... and I've had that on Penlan too, there's a couple of operators over the years, I despaired with...

PS - Polybear's post isn't meant to here, but I can't erase it.....

Edited by Penlan